ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Any significance to """"Blomma"""" as a båtsman name?  (läst 872 gånger)

2002-10-23, 19:54
läst 872 gånger

steve

I know the translation is bloom, or flower but this strikes me as an unusual name for a båtsman name. Does it have a nautical meaning as well?

2002-10-23, 21:35
Svar #1

ingrid moberg

Steve!
I don't know of any nautical meaning of the name Blomma. The båtsmans  names were often not nautical at all but cover a wide variety of meanings. In my home county there was a båtsman called Ost (=cheese alt. East)and one called Knagg (=bump). Two of my ancestors, båtsmän in the 17th and 18th century, were also called Blomma.

2002-10-23, 21:49
Svar #2

Roland Johansson

No, Blomma has no nautical connotation.  
To my experience, only a minority of the båtsmän had names that actually did referr to nautical concepts.  
You can find examples of typical båtsmannames at Halländska båtsmansnamn and Södra Hallands båtsmanskompani.
These examples are from Halland.
(Pages in Swedish only.)

2002-10-24, 20:33
Svar #3

Birgitta Ohlsson

Ingrid Moberg jag har försökt kontakta dig. Snälla Ingrid skicka ett mail till mig, jag vill fråga dig om Stina Kohre

Tack på förhand

birgitta.ohlsson@telia.com

Hoppas att inte detta anses som brytande av reglerna på forumet.

2003-01-02, 10:06
Svar #4

Utloggad Ingemar Skarpås

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 194
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-06, 16:15
    • Visa profil
Steve & Ingrid et all,

I think that it makes perfectly sence for the båtsman name not to be nautical. Imagine a lot of calls for the names of Mr Knot, West, Sail, Rudder, Stern, et c.

Just like I hate it when one of the radiostations monitoring the trafic situation has a sound logo with a car horn, I think it would intervene negatively in the conversation/order situation onboard.

2003-01-03, 00:10
Svar #5

Patrik Andersson

Hello Steve

I have several Båtsmän (Bosun) among my ancestors and non of them use any nautical names at all:  

For example they could use:

Snabb (fast)
Lund (grove)
Elg (elk or moose)
Berg (hill)
Dal (valley)

Clearly, these names have nothing to do with seamanship or any similar things related to the sea what so ever. They have more in common with the flora and fauna that is hugely popular in general among Swedish names. Also, sometimes the name of the båtsmans croft, or nearby village were used.

Best regards

2003-01-03, 20:18
Svar #6

Utloggad Kurt Persson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 189
  • Senast inloggad: 2008-01-24, 22:01
    • Visa profil
We had a båtsman onboard our submarine. His Christian name I don??t remember, but he was always referred to as Blomman, a nick-name!

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna