ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Translation of a short letter in Swedish  (läst 1304 gånger)

2010-03-15, 18:35
läst 1304 gånger

Utloggad Mary Nelson Keithahn

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 81
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-01-17, 06:45
    • Visa profil
    • www.hymnsetc.com
I never knew my grandmother, Hilma Peterson Nelson, daughter of Swedish immigrants to Minnesota and married to Andrew Nelson (Anders Nilsson, b. 1857 in Hjärsås), but I have a letter written to her in Swedish. It is postmarked September 26, 1900, Bernadotte, Minnesota. The return address is printed on the envelope:  Nicollet County Telephone and Telegraph Co., Bernadotte, Minnesota. My grandfather worked for this Co. about this time, I think, but I thought by that time the family lived in Gaylord, Minnesota, a town near-by where my father was born in April of that year. The writer seems to be a cousin on her father's side. The letter is handwritten in red ink, so I may have some of the words wrong. Could someone please translate this for me:

Jag vill hermed i allskons vålmening sånda svågra få rader i form af erv välkomst-helsning till smälla Fru Nelson. Vi har ingen bekantskap men jag har sett sota Marma blott Ef (or Erv) gång how var så alskvard att how karr behaga alla sonn ser på heuvel.  Jag karr gratulera er man som har fått på sin lott att Jå dela ljuft ock lett med Ev (or Erv) sä innerligt skon maka.  Det lik som glader den Gamle att få se så nara (or vara) slaktingar har i värt så Skona Bernadotte med så hogt uppdrag ock fortrvoende som Postmastare Handelman ock så stor konstruar i Tellefon yrket. for allt deta ar min lyertinnerliga onskare ock borv till vär nåderike (or våderike) Gud our (or ovr) bistånd ock ledving under fortsattvingen på edar framtida lefvadsbarra har i detta stora ock fredliga samhalle.  (Signed) kusin till Farfar.

Some of the vowels a and o have a squiggle over them like the mark over the Spanish mark over n indicating the sound ny but I can't figure out how to to put that in. E.g., words such as allskons (over the o), alskvard (over the a's), skon (over the o) glader (over the a), slaktingar (over first a), Skona (over the o), hogt (over the o) fortroende (over first o) Postmastare (over the first a), konstruar (over the a),for (over the o), ar (over the a), borv (over the o), fortsattvingen (over the a), har (over the a).

Thanks to anyone who can help.  I do appreciate all the help I have been getting from so many on this site!  Mary

2010-03-15, 20:57
Svar #1

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
In all kindness I'd like to send a few lines as a welcome to dear mrs Nelson. We are not acquainted but I've seen sweet Marma once only, she was so amiable that she will please all who meet her. I congratulate your husband who has the fortune to share better and worse with such an exceedingly beautiful spouse. It kind of gladdens the Old Man to see such close relatives here in our beautiful Bernadotte with such high mission and trust as postmaster, shopkeeper and also great artist in the telephone profession. All this is my heartfelt wish and prayer to our gracious God, and aid and guidance for the rest of your future career here in this large and peaceful community. (Signed) cousin to Grandfather.

(Meddelandet ändrat av acb 2010-03-15 21:57)

2010-03-15, 21:01
Svar #2

Utloggad Bo Nordenfors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 5383
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-27, 14:38
    • Visa profil
Marna is probably the correct name (rather common in Skåne province)

2010-03-15, 21:11
Svar #3

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
Or, is it possible that the name Marma should read Hilma; the recepient? In that case, she in that sentence would equal you.

Aaah, now I see - Bernadotte which confused me should probably be translated granddaughter, that way the sentence makes a lot more sense. I'll alter my previous post accordingly.

2010-03-15, 21:34
Svar #4

Utloggad Hilde Norrgrén

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 27
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-01-13, 13:15
    • Visa profil
I think i värt så Skona Bernadotte is supposed to mean in our beautiful Bernadotte, since Bernadotte was the name of the town according to the postmark.

2010-03-15, 21:59
Svar #5

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
Oops, of course you're right!  I shouldn't have skipped through the first paragraph to get to the letter...

I've once more corrected my translation above.

2010-03-16, 00:12
Svar #6

Utloggad Mary Nelson Keithahn

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 81
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-01-17, 06:45
    • Visa profil
    • www.hymnsetc.com
Thank you all so much!  You have given me a look at grandparents I never had a chance to know, except by the few comments my dad made.  He always said his mother was so good-natured and jolly she had a hard time disciplining the three lively boys in the family and often recruited the help of their older sister!  We have some of the many oil paintings my grandfather did in our family, and it was nice to know he was respected as an artist then.  I looked at Marna again in the letter and it could be Mamma--would that be a term for Mother in Swedish too?  My grandmother would have had two babies by then--my dad and his sister were born 11 months apart. Do you think farfar refers to Andrew's father (his children's grandfather) or Andrew's grandfather?  (I don't think it would be Hilma's father or grandfather as either one of them would have known her. Andrew had relatives in the area at that time, but I don't think Hilma did.) As I understand it, cousin definitely meant first cousin in our terms. Is that right?  Thanks again, everyone.  Mary

2010-03-16, 11:02
Svar #7

Utloggad Åsa Jonsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 287
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-03-31, 22:46
    • Visa profil
I think the word konstruär should be spelled konstruör nowadays konstruktör, which means design engineer.

Åsa

2010-03-17, 01:17
Svar #8

Utloggad Gunnar Håkansson

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 528
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-01-13, 08:55
    • Visa profil
Yes, kusin means first cousin. There are words for second cousin and third cousin, too, but not used very often.

2010-03-17, 19:39
Svar #9

Utloggad Hilde Norrgrén

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 27
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-01-13, 13:15
    • Visa profil
Yes, mamma means Mum. Farfar means father's father, so it can not be Hilma's father or grandfather.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna