ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Translation help  (läst 1230 gånger)

2010-06-16, 01:19
läst 1230 gånger

Utloggad Laura Scott

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 22
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-10-01, 22:53
    • Visa profil
I am researching Eva Jönsdotter b 19 Apr 1829.  She is listed on page 790 of the Household examinations for 1866-1870.  She is listed with four daughters Martha Danielsdotter, Emma Gustafsdotter, Ida Matilda Matthisdotter and Helena Matthisdotter.  I see that she married in 1865 but the 1861-1865 HH (page 776) has her with Gustav Peterson.  Do the notes at the bottom of page 790 about Matthis Paulson give any hints?  Thanks for your help.

2010-06-16, 06:10
Svar #1

Utloggad Harriet Hogevik

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 721
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-03-05, 06:25
    • Visa profil
Hi Laura! Where in Sweden did they live?
Regards Harriet

2010-06-16, 09:53
Svar #2

Utloggad Lars Unger

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 669
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-12-21, 12:51
    • Visa profil
Hi Laura!
Yes, I think you may be right there. They all live on the same farm.

In the estate inventory (Kinnevalds häradsrätt FII:31 p 64) of Mattis Pålsson in 1879 (he died 1870-02-08 at Buskahult Tykegård in Urshult, Kronoberg county) there is a note of a debt to Eva Jönsdotter of 6 Cr 51 öre.

Mattis wife Eva Jakobsdotter died, however, not until 1870-05-07. If he is the father of Eva Jönsdotters daughters Ida Mathilda born 1868-08-19 and Lena born 1870-02-16 at Buskahult Tykegård there really must have been a scandal.  

A note in the household examinations for Mattis is that he had been accused of attempt to murder for the second time in 1873. I have not been able to clear out why.

But to be sure you have to go to the district court, where cases of illegitimate children were handled.

Greetings
Lasse

2010-06-16, 23:59
Svar #3

Utloggad Laura Scott

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Thank you so much for your quick response.  I am sorry that I made it hard for you by forgetting to tell you where they lived.  Very silly of me.  But,oh my goodness,Lasse, your information is so interesting.  Lena was my great-grandmother and there has never been any other information about her parents other than that her mother's name was Eva.  She stayed on at Torp Hallen Buskahult Tykegård (Urshult, Kronoberg)until at least 1895 and all the girls were with her until one by one they left to go to Denmark,America or in Lena's case to Almundsryd. Could I ask what the notation on that same HH page next to Eva's name means and does it say what Mattis did for a living?  Is it unusual that the pastor would not have noted anything about the illegitimate girls?

I will be in Vaxjo this summer so I am hoping to be able to see where they lived and locate the farm if I am lucky.

Thanks again for your help.
Laura

2010-06-17, 08:36
Svar #4

Utloggad Lars Unger

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
The notation Absolverad 1:sta resan lönskeläge 1862 4/10 means that the clergyman in the parish absolved Eva from her sins, having an illegitimate child, i.e. Emma born 1863-10-06. She married Gustaf Paulsson (the father) in march 1863; they did not live together at the time of the intercourse, being a sin. Every woman with an illegitimate child had to have a serious speech with the clergyman, but after that she could be absolved. The procedure was a rule that the clergyman had to execute and normally was noted in the HH:s.

Mattis was a crofter or a cottar; most of these poeple without land, living in simple conditions. Some had had a farm and had given it to one of his children, some had worked as farmhands or had had temporary farm jobs. You may also have seen a note about Mattias that he lived i största oenighet, i.e. meaning that he and his wife were having a bad life together. It even says that his wife, Eva Jacobsdotter, was regarded as mindre vetande i.e. feeble-minded.

Lasse

2010-06-18, 09:54
Svar #5

Utloggad Lars Unger

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Laura!
I just took a look at the estate inventory (Kinnevalds häradsrätt F:II38, p 851) after Eva Jönsdotter. She died 1898-09-27 from gastritis on Buskahult Tykagård and was buried 1898-10-09 in Urshult. She must have been an enterprising woman, because at time of death she own a manorhouse, a barn and having the right to use and enjoy land on Buskahult Tykagård for 15 years more (the contract being made 1865-03-10 - i.e. for 30 years). The value of that was estimated to 200 Swedish Crowns. She also had a cow with a value of 40 Swedish Crowns. A dollar at this moment is about 8 Swedish Crowns and that does not sound much, but at the time of her death it was a big sum for a farmer. For example her dining-table and the five chairs around it were estimated to two Crows 25 öre (100 öre = 1 Crown).

Her daugther Emma must have been a bit wealthy too. In the estate inventory there is an item that she had given a loan to Eva of 120 Crowns given in 1865. No repayments seem to have been made. The interest rate was stated to 5 %, but likewise had obviously never been paid back, as the debt for accrued interests was as high as 81 Crowns 90.

Martha and Ida were at the time of Evas death both in America.
It also says that Emma and Helena (Lena) were those who took care of Eva some time before her death and therefore were responsible for stating assets and liabilities of the estate.

Lasse

2010-06-18, 20:53
Svar #6

Utloggad Laura Scott

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Lasse--you are wonderful!!  Thank you for so much information.  I have a picture of Eva and she looks like a very determined woman. (Although not one that so many men would find attractive--maybe it was her money!) Martha and Ida stayed in America as did Helena but her daughter Ellen came here in 1918.  Family records do not talk about Emma at all.

I especially appreciate your telling me where she was buried.  I will be in Sweden this summer and would like to go and see her grave.

Best regards,
Laura

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna