ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: More phrases from records to translate  (läst 959 gånger)

2010-03-21, 03:22
läst 959 gånger

Utloggad Mary Nelson Keithahn

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 81
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-01-17, 06:45
    • Visa profil
    • www.hymnsetc.com
Could someone please translate the following words and phrases:

övrigt husman
Fadrennumera åbo  
tjente tilsanimans på N-o ! Grönhult därest han blef född
h-ka ännu lefva
Sjuk 14 dagar Husman  (something about sick 14 days? I think this may be a son who died shortly after birth)
textlucka

These abbreviations:  N-o, h-ka, Susc

I think the following people are godparents and witnesses to a baptism, but I don't know which terms go with which names:

Dopvittnen Faddrar Bengt Elofss. Husm: wid Målen. Oluf dräng i Esperyd Susc Hanna Pära s. Åb Nils (textlucka) Hustru i Wästanå Truen Olufs d. Åb Pär Olss. Hustru N:2 Esperyd Sissa Pärs dotter, Piga i Bökestad.  

Thanks for your help.

2010-03-22, 00:36
Svar #1

Utloggad Gunnar Håkansson

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 528
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-01-13, 08:55
    • Visa profil
else cottage inhabitant
The father now farmer (not owner of the farm)
made service together in Grönhult, No. 1, where he was born
who still are alive
Ill for two weeks Cottage inhabitant
missing text

Number, (the last two need a context to be understandable)

2010-03-22, 23:38
Svar #2

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
other information cottager  
The father now a tenant farmer [on a perpetul lease]  
served together at No. 1 Grönhult [the farms in Skåne didn't have names, just a number in each village; the village here was of course Grönhult] where he was born
Widow still lives  
Ill 14 days Cottager  
missing text  

Baptismal witnesses Sponsors
Bengt Elofss[on] Husm[an] wid Målen (cottager at Målen - possibly mållan = the [wind]mill).
Oluf dräng i Esperyd (farmhand at Esperyd; a farm or a small village)
Godmother [carrying the baby] Hanna Pärsdr [Pärsdotter] Tenant farmer Nils [...son's] Wife at Wästanå
Truen Olufsd[otter] Tenant farmer Pär Olss[on's] wife at No. 2 Esperyd
Sissa Pärsdotter, [Female] farmhand at Bökestad.

At the baptism the child was given a new, symbolic spiritual family: the married man mentioned first was the child's father, the married woman mentioned first - who always carried the child - was the child's mother, any other married people were aunts and uncles and the unmarried boy/young man and girl/young woman were brother and sister.
The godparents had no duty what so ever to raise the child if the parents were unable to do so, but should monitor the child's upbringing and aid in the matter of giving it a truly Christian education. Also the sponsors were expected to give nice gifts at the baptism, the confirmation and later the wedding, and at all times look out for the child's interest by recommending it for jobs etc. - permanent character witnesses you might say.

N-o. = Number
h-ka should be enka or änka (modern spelling) = widow
Susc. (short for susceptrix) = the woman (always a married woman - or a widow of course) who carried the baby to the baptism. The mother, not being churched, wasn't present at the christening (some clergymen didn't think the father should be present either since the child was given a new spiritual father).

Ingela

2010-03-23, 08:17
Svar #3

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
h-ka is short for hvilka [modern spelling: vilka] which means who. hvilka ännu lefva = who are still alive.

In the old days most words, that are now spelled with just a v, were spelled with hv or even hw, which makes no difference when you pronounce them in Swedish. That applies also to places; Hvetlanda = Vetlanda.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna