ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: What does it say  (läst 632 gånger)

2007-02-27, 08:21
läst 632 gånger

Utloggad Scott Satterfield

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 468
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-03-06, 04:55
    • Visa profil
I'm looking at Anna Svensdotter's birth on GID 98.26.2400 - which was 25 Oct 1796.  What is the St. after Anna's first name?  Also, where was she born, and thirdly, what is the date 12 Nov that is under her christening date?

Thanks for your help.

2007-02-27, 10:20
Svar #1

Utloggad Don Tuthill

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 381
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-09-24, 19:18
    • Visa profil
Hi Scott,

The St is just the first letters in the name Stina, if you look at the record again you can see the minister just ran out of space and added the last three letters below the ST.  

She was born in Pehrstorp and the family can be found at GID: 98.7.36000, page 63.

I can't help you with your last question, I don't remember having seen anything like that before, maybe someone else can help you out with that.

Have a nice day!

Don

2007-02-27, 10:50
Svar #2

Utloggad Kaj Larsson

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 583
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-04-21, 20:44
    • Visa profil
I think that 11/12 (Dec 11.) is the day the mother was received back in church after giving birth.

Kaj

2007-02-27, 15:25
Svar #3

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Yes, 11 Dec was the day the mother was churched. It's very late; according to the Bible it should be done 40 days after giving birth but was in real life, in Sweden, done on the 4th Sunday after the birth. You can see that other birth records (on the same page) have a date approximately four weeks after the birth; some a little later. It is possible that in this case the mother was ill after giving birth and the ceremony could not be performed until some seven weeks later.

Churching the mother was very important since she was not allowed to leave the house, indeed not the room where she had born the child, until she was churched. In popular superstition she was regarded as being halfway to a heathen; she was a danger to the farm and all her family until she was again a part of the congregation. Her work during this time was done by neighbouring women.

This is of course also the reason why the mother was never present at her own child's christening and why the position as chief godmother - the one who carried the child - was so vitally important; the chief godmother really did take the place of the mother.

Ingela

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna