ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Two different Johannes Peterssons?  (läst 1565 gånger)

2004-12-23, 16:35
läst 1565 gånger

John Anderson

I have information about an ancestor, Johannes Petersson, born 1834-09-11 in Åkerödja dragontorp nr 124, Skaftarp, Rydaholm (F).  

It says Tjänade hos bonden Johannes Pehrsson och h. h. Britta Stina Svensdotter in Östergården, Långstorp, Rydaholm (F) [Husf. 1856-60 i Rydaholm s.308].

I assume this says that he served with farmer Johannes Pehrsson and his wife Britta Stina Svensdotter in Östergården, Långstorp.

This is another Johannes Pehrsson I assume?  

And a side question...  Was Dragontorp a military base of some sort, or just a farm where he lived?  He was a Dragon or Dragoon with the Swedish military.

Thank you so much,

John

2004-12-23, 16:42
Svar #1

John Anderson

Oops!  I just realized this was NOT tbe ancestor of mine that was a Dragon. But I would still like more info on where he was born at Åkerödja dragontorp nr 124, Skaftarp, Rydaholm (F).

Gratefully,

John

2004-12-24, 16:13
Svar #2

John Anderson

2004-12-24, 19:48
Svar #3

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-23, 20:10
    • Visa profil
Hi again John,

As I no longer live in Sweden, although I was born and brought up there, it seems I may be the only one available to at least answer one of your questions. It is Christmas Eve today ( Julafton) and it is celebrated the way people in english speaking countries ( I live in England) celebrate Christmas Day. Therefore everybody is too busy making merry at the moment, to visit Rötter.  

A 'torp' is a small wooden house usually with a small piece of land attached; a bit like a 'crofter's holding'. A 'dragontorp' means that it was a house that came with the job so to speak; a 'soldier's torp'. When the soldier was away fighting, his family would work the land and care for any livestock.

Merry Christmas
Ann

2004-12-28, 16:41
Svar #4

John Anderson

I am still looking for an answer to this question asked above, if anyone has the time or inclination to respond:

[It says Tjänade hos bonden Johannes Pehrsson och h. h. Britta Stina Svensdotter in Östergården, Långstorp, Rydaholm (F) [Husf. 1856-60 i Rydaholm s.308].  

I assume this says that he served with farmer Johannes Pehrsson and his wife Britta Stina Svensdotter in Östergården, Långstorp.]

Thanks in advance,

John

2004-12-28, 22:00
Svar #5

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
John,

I must say that I am surprised at your lack of common courtesy in completely ignoring my answer to your  side question  above. However, despite this I will confirm that your assumption is correct with regards to the Swedish text.

Ann

2004-12-29, 00:42
Svar #6

john

Ann,

If you are referring to the fact that I did not respond to your very kind description of what a Dragontorp is, I can explain that.

On Christmas Eve morning I was at work, using the computer there.  I got your posting right before it was time for me to leave and go home and try to finish wrapping presents.

I had responded to you with thanks and said that for me, finding out information on this forum was like a Christmas present in itself.

However, in the hurry to get home, I must not have completely followed through on clicking some button (written in Swedish) that I needed to, and the response was never posted.  

I was not able to get to a computer and log onto the site until today.  I simply forgot to reply with thanks today when I finally logged on.

I apologize for the oversight.  However, if you look over all of my other posts on this forum, you will see that I always try to thank those that respond in advance AND always thank them again after they have responded.  

I do not think that qualifies me as someone who is lacking in common courtesy.

I apologize again for the oversight in this case.  I very much appreciate everyone's (yours included) wealth of knowledge and expertise on this forum.  

This forum has been a true gem and has helped me in my research greatly.  I do not wish to upset anyone here.

As for my last post above, I had not yet recieved confirmation that my clumsy attempt to translate the passage was even close to being correct, so that is why I was asking again.

Thank you again for all the help and expertise you have provided.

Sincerely,

John

2004-12-29, 10:50
Svar #7

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
John,

Thank you for your apology which I gratefully accept. I hope I can be of assistance to you again in the future.  

Kind regards,
Ann

2004-12-29, 17:37
Svar #8

John Anderson

Thank you Ann.  It is so easy to miscommunicate over the internet.  Please know that I am grateful for every bit of help that I get on this forum.

I an very sure that you will be able to be of assistance to me in the future, as there is so much that I do not yet know.  ;-)

Looking forward to learning more and more,

John

2004-12-29, 18:20
Svar #9

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4039
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-12, 18:31
    • Visa profil
Yes John, they are two different persons - the names are quite common. Pettersson and Persson can sometimes be used for the same person but that is not the most common way.

Not only have Swedes celebrated Christmas as Ann explained, where they might try to spend time with the real relatives, but there is also some other things on many peoples minds (CNN might not have told you that a very large group of tourists in Thailand are Swedish).

Many Swedes read Anbytarforum with Nytt senaste vecka which means New discussions from teh last week so you don't need to revive your questions.

Finally, back to genealogy, a very good webpage for you to study - in English by a Swede - Hans Högman's webpages on on among other things Swedish military history is often recommended.

Kind regards,
Eva

2004-12-29, 20:03
Svar #10

John Anderson

I think some may have gotten the impression I was angry that on Christmas Eve no one had repsonded to my post.  I assure you that I was not.  I simply thought that perhaps in my verbal ramblings in the previous post, some had missed the fact that I had asked a question.

The day in question was Christmas Eve, two days before the tsunami hit in South Asia.

I have seen the news (actually, I work in Television News for a TV Station in St. Louis), and I was aware of the fact that many of the tourists there are Swedish.  I especially noticed the Swedish 14 month old boy who was rescued by and American couple and was reunited with his father today.  His mother is still missing unfortunately.

My heart and my thoughts go out to all those affected by this tragedy.  

The people on this forum have ever been helpful and most times responses are so rapid that I cannot believe it.  

I posted a question last night in the Immigrant section on my Grandfather and this morning I had 7 responses and LOADS of information from forum contributors.

No, I was not upset with response time on this forum.  The people here have been nothing short of phenomenal and extremely helpful.

I merely thought maybe that particular post had fallen through the cracks.

I did not have any knowledge of how others find posts on here as on my screen, all posts are listed alphabetically, no matter the date of posting.  And there are posts from as early as 2001.  So, I simply thought perhaps that one had been missed.

I appreciate the information on how others find the posts here.  I just thought they were psychic or something!  ;-)

Regards,

John

2004-12-29, 20:52
Svar #11

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4039
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-12, 18:31
    • Visa profil
John, some time ago I wrote a small guide on how to find posts - your own or others - for the meantime it's still only to be found in the thread where it was written - here you go:
Anbytarforum: Discussions in English: General questions: How to sort by date.

Kind regards,
Eva

PS. I think the most common way to read Anbytarforum is by clicking Nytt senaste dygn (New items the last 24 hours) - which worries a lot of people that their question will be forgotten ... but it won't if someone knows the answer or has the possibility to look it up - but sometime no-one knows or can do look-ups

2004-12-30, 02:01
Svar #12

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
John,

To add to what Eva just said, I have noticed that some posts go unanswered for a week or two and then someone provides information found in an archive. There are many helpful people without immediate access to a source but who still care about helping others. That is especially true when you post in a forum for a specific parish.

I usually click on Nytt senaste dygn, unless I've been away for a few days. I sometimes think it would be helpful to have a way to check what is new that month, since I can lose track if I take a longer trip than a week, but the current system is pretty good as it is.

Judy

2004-12-30, 18:13
Svar #13

John Anderson

Thank you Eva and Judy,

I did not know what any of those menus on the left meant.  I would just always go to the In English section, so I was seeing ALL posts at once, no matter when they were made, and would have to search through all of them each time for the discussions I was involved in.  That is why I got the impression that perhaps a post could have been missed.  I am a very patient person normally, but I do sometimes get very excited and anticipatory when it comes to finding out new information about my ancestors.

Thank you for the information. I have already started using that link for the latest posts and it helps alot!

John

2004-12-30, 18:18
Svar #14

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
John, I hope you also noticed the link In English. Instructions at the bottom of the lefthand menu column?

2004-12-30, 19:18
Svar #15

John Anderson

Yes I did Elisabeth,

Thank you,

John

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna