ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Translation, please - filare, filaren  (läst 2056 gånger)

2004-02-13, 04:59
läst 2056 gånger

Marian Ekholm

On a birth certificate, following the Swedish words for father's name and occupation is  
Hoijer, Johan Konrad, filare.  Also on an Ambetsbetyg is his name listed as  
Filaren Johan Konrad Hoijer.  I am sorry I can't put in the diacriticals in Hoijer and Ambetsbetyg.  What is the English for filare and filaren?  Thank you for your help.

2004-02-13, 06:39
Svar #1

Utloggad Eva Barchas

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 106
  • Senast inloggad: Aldrig
    • Visa profil
Filare = filer
Filaren = the filer

This would be a 'filer' that would be using a rasp and sanding tools, I suppose.  Nothing to do with filing papers.  Does anyone know what a 'filer' would be filing on?  Or does 'filer' have another meaning than the literal translation?

2004-02-13, 08:32
Svar #2

Utloggad Linda Wickström

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 85
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-08-07, 17:51
    • Visa profil
I don't think filer is an English word at all (not according to Cambridge dictionaries on line anyway). A more appropriate translation would probably be something like rasper. It is difficult with these specified occupational terms and to me even rasper sounds a bit weired, and not English if you know what I mean, although it does explain what he might have done.  

filare = rasper
filaren = the rasper

Maybe someonelse knows better?

good luck

2004-02-13, 09:10
Svar #3

Utloggad Birgitta Ehn Norin

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 49
  • Senast inloggad: Aldrig
    • Visa profil
I think 'file' is the ordinary word for the tool used to file for example wood in order to make the surface smoother. 'Rasp' is a special kind of file but its surface is rougher, sometimes it has little sharp points. It is used on wood but also on metal.

Birgitta Ehn Norin

2004-02-13, 09:43
Svar #4

Utloggad Bengt Nordstrand

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 228
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-04-16, 20:29
    • Visa profil
Hi
My grandfather, born 1883 in Örebro, started as filare at Köping-Hults verkstäder from about 1896, that was a railroad workshop. A filare was definitively working on iron with his tools.  
My grandfather later became steam-engine locomotive driver.  
Bengt

2004-02-13, 12:45
Svar #5

Utloggad Heikki Särkkä

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2200
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-09-02, 15:00
    • Visa profil
I am sure this word came up a few years ago. I agree that filer is not used (brings to mind filing clerk). My suggestion was fitter, but somebody suggested an even better equivalent that escapes my mind (it could have been assembler).

Heikki

2004-02-13, 13:49
Svar #6

per bjurling

I don?t have a complete tecnical dictionary at hand so I cannot give the proper english word but I think I can explain what a filare does.
In a mechanical workshop when the different parts of any technical device or machine are completed the filare takes care of them and fit them together to a working device. In this work he will have use for a file now and then.
The filare was not just anybody but a respected skilled worker. Therefore it was, and is, an honourable title. With today?s high precision in the industry this profession is about to be extinct. The machines fit together without him. I believe that Heikki means the same as I do. Could be fitter.

2004-02-13, 14:32
Svar #7

Utloggad Joel Vogler

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 845
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 21:47
  • Quaerite et invenietis
    • Visa profil
According to my English dictionary a file is

A hand tool consisting of a long piece of steel with rough surfaces, sometimes with a handle, which is used for rubbing hard objects to make them smooth, shape them, or cut through them. If you file an object, you smooth it, shape it, or cut it with a file. In Swedish, a 'filare' is certainly a person using this kind of tool.

2004-02-13, 15:38
Svar #8

per bjurling

Of course the filare uses files, but I stick with Heikki and think that fitter comes closer to the meaning of this profession.
Surplus information.  
The most well known filare there ever was is C E Johansson. He started out assembling rifles in Sweden. Together with his wife he invented a measuring system that is world standard in the mechanical industry today.  
Henry Ford rated him as number two after his own son.  
I believe it was when Packard was about to make Rolls Royce motors for the Mustang aircraft during WW2 that the English and the Americans discovered that they defined an inch differently.  
C E Johansson was called upon and settled it by defining it in millimeters. 25,4
I guess that?s why the english talking world says. We are applying the meter system ich by inch.

2004-02-13, 19:13
Svar #9

Utloggad Per Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1827
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-09-04, 21:36
    • Visa profil
An interesting and amusing discussion!

Since I used to be a filare myself, some 55 years ago, I will try to add some more.

Per Bjurling's description comes very close to one of the two, rather different meanings of the word, the one I was in, myself.

The other, was sågfilare, who was occupied at a saw-mill. His work was, to keep the long timber saw blades sharp and in good working order.

If you want to know, which of these two, rather different occupations, your ancestor had, you must find out, what kind of a factory he worked at. If it was a mechanical workshop, manufacturing machines, tools, weapons or similar, or if it was a saw-mill or similar.

Per Thorsell.

2004-02-13, 20:19
Svar #10

Marian Ekholm

Thank you so very much for all your answers.  I appreciate this discussion group and find it very helpful.  Genealogy enthusiasts are very generous people.

2004-02-14, 22:55
Svar #11

Marian Ekholm

May I add more details to my query?  I have another paper which seems to be a license of some kind.  It has Johan Konrad Höijer's photo and the Swedish words....

Namntecknkngen är riktig; fotografiet  
foreställer lokomotivföraren  
Johan Konrad Höijer  intygas.  
Helsingfors å Polisinrättningen
den 29 november 1918
There is a seal, not legible.

Would this tell you more about his occupation?
Thank you very much.

2004-02-14, 23:12
Svar #12

Utloggad Bo Berndtsson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3221
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-28, 10:33
    • Visa profil
The signature is correct; the Photography
depictures the locomotive driver (engineer)
Johan Konrad Höijer. Certified by
Helsingfors' Police Authority
november 29th 1918

2004-02-14, 23:59
Svar #13

Utloggad Tord Påhlman

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2085
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-11-13, 21:51
    • Visa profil
Helsingfors is the Swedish name for Helsinki, the capital of Finland.

2004-02-15, 15:23
Svar #14

Marian Ekholm

Tack så mycket

(Is this correct?)

2004-02-15, 20:08
Svar #15

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-23, 20:10
    • Visa profil
Hi Marian,

Yes, it's quite correct.  

Regards,
Ann Little

2004-04-11, 03:07
Svar #16

Marian Ekholm

Is there a website where one can learn about the farms in Ekeby Östergötland?  My husband's grandmother worked on a farm named Brokulla.  My husband's father was born in Ekeby Östergötland.
Thank you for your help.

2004-04-11, 14:56
Svar #17

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-23, 20:10
    • Visa profil
Hi Marian,

I have looked around for you, both on the internet and on the literature page here on Rötter, but without any success. Everything in bookform that may be of interest to you, is written in Swedish.  
Maybe someone else could come up with a suggestion?

Kind regards,
Ann Little

2004-04-12, 01:24
Svar #18

Marian Ekholm

Thank you, Ann.  Guess I should learn to read Swedish?      Marian

2004-04-12, 12:00
Svar #19

Bo Johansson

Go to Lantmäteriet's Mapsearch
 http://www2.lantmateriet.se/ksos_eng/index.html

Enter Brokulla in the Search word box, select Östergötlands län in the select county box, click the search button, and you will see a map with the farm Brokulla in Ekeby parish.

There is also a Historical Maps section
 http://www.lantmateriet.se/hkindex_en.htm
where you can find maps like for example the  attatched map from about 1870.

// Bo Johansson

2004-04-12, 17:36
Svar #20

Marian Ekholm

Thank you for the Mapsearch websites.  I was able to find Brokulla farm listed as a settlement, but did not know how to see the map.  I tried the Historic Maps website, but it was unavailable.  I will try again.
Thank you so much for your help.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna