ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Translation of occupations  (läst 1872 gånger)

2006-09-12, 01:18
läst 1872 gånger

Harold Silander

I would appreciate translation of the following words that I have come across in my research on Genline.

Yngling

Månadskarl - I think this is a worker paid on a monthly basis. This person's son, when married in Scotland, said his father was a Carter.

Inspektor

Hyresgäster

Many thanks.

Harold Silander

2006-09-12, 03:27
Svar #1

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Harold,

Have you noticed that the SweGGate site has glossaries of Swedish genealogical words? Go to the home page. Click on Dictionaries & Encyclopedias on the home page. You will find one glossary page developed by the webmaster. At the top of that glossary page, you will find links to more of the webmaster's glossary pages plus links to glossaries developed by others. Those glossaries are very helpful.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~swewgw/

As for the words you asked about:

yngling = youth, young man

månadskarl: I think you are correct.

Inspektor: I suppose it is an inspector of some sort.

Hyresgäster = lodgers, I think

Check the glossaries on SweGGate and hopefully the explanations will be more detailed. I also expect explanations from the Swedes.

Judy

2006-09-12, 04:18
Svar #2

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
I did some thinking about månadskarl. Perhaps he was hired on a monthly basis. I'm not so sure about how often he was paid. This is a guess.

Judy

2006-09-12, 08:26
Svar #3

Utloggad Heikki Särkkä

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2200
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-09-02, 15:00
    • Visa profil
In an agricultural context, inspektor is the equivalent of bailiff/steward.

2006-09-12, 20:14
Svar #4

Harold Silander

Thank you both for your input - much appreciated.  

I agree, Judy, that there are lots of resources on the internet; and I have been using them. But I am wondering that the literal meanings might  
not be the full answer; or that some words have changed meaning since the 19th century.

These occupations all described my great grandfather, Carl Johan Andersson, who was born in Fjärås in Halland, had a family in Göteborg, as a widower re-married and returned to Kungsbacka. BUT only Inspektor is an occupation, the other 3 are not. And he was never an Inspektor, only f.d. Inspektor!

*** When he migrated to Göteborg in 1868 as a 21 year-old, his occupation is given as Yngling.
See Genline 632.35.63800,Göteborg Gustavi AIA:11 HFL 1866-1872  
5th line from bottom, with marriage date of 1875.

*** With his first family his occupation is Månadskarl. When he re-marries in 1892, his occupation is changed to f. Inspektor.
See Genline 897.24.59100,Göteborg Kristine AI:21 HFL 1890-1897
Line 1

*** On farms near Kungsbacka his occupation is f.d. Inspektor, and Hyresgäster (tenant). Is he a tenant farmer working the land, or just living there as a lodger.
See Genline 1815.29.37200,Halland Kungsbacka AI:12 HFL 1886-1895
Line 8
See Genline 1815.29.34500,Halland Kungsbacka AI:12 HFL 1886-1895
Line 25

*** The only real occupation I have found is when my grandfather married in Scotland in 1898 and gave his father's occupation as Carter. But was he a carter in Göteborg or in Kungsbacka. (I think there was a family disagreement as Carl Johan possibly abandoned the children of his first family to go to Kungsbacka with his second family. So my grandfather maybe knew little about his father's life after my gf emigrated in 1894)

Thanks for reading this far. All ideas welcomed.

2006-09-12, 23:24
Svar #5

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Harold,

Yes, some words in the Swedish records have changed meanings or spellings or are totally archaic now. That is what is so helpful about the glossaries on SweGGate. It has the old meanings and spellings, for the most part.Modern dictionaries are not as helpful with the words in the old records.

F.d. = formerly. F.D. Inspektor means formerly inspector, so he was an inspector.

Judy

2006-09-13, 00:43
Svar #6

Harold Silander

Thanks, but Sweggate does not have the relevant words.

I am looking for what the pastors meant when someone was classified as månadskarl - could he have been a carter, or an inspektor (of what?, in a city context).

2006-09-13, 01:20
Svar #7

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
I suppose that månadskarl is similar to dagskarl, except that the work is for a monthly worker instead of a day worker. The type of work (i.e. carter, etc.) is not listed. I suppose there were many types of dag/månadkarl.

Here is what SweGGate says about dagskarl in its Job Titles glossary. (Dag = day.Månad = month.)

dagkarl, dagakarl, dagekarl O = day-worker, an unskilled general labourer, employed and paid day-by-day. (plural: add -ar).
At the start of the reign of king Gustaf Eriksson (Vasa) (abt 1523) a dagakarl with a scythe was paid 4 vitten and other dagakarl 1 skilling.
cf. dagsverke.

The same glossary has inspektor, listed under Farming, which I know is not in a city context. It mentions that the word has other meanings too.

inspektor: work supervisor, 2nd level of jordbruksbefäl. Note that the title inspektor is used in several other work places as well, e.g. stationsinspektor (rail station supervisor)  

One word I've seen for carter, coachman is åkare.

Wait and see what the Swedes say. It is their language, after all.

Judy

2006-09-13, 23:21
Svar #8

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
The job titles månadskarl and carter are not at all mutually exclusive.
Månadskarl means exactly what Judy's been saying all along: a man hired per month. Remember that at this time unskilled labourers in the country were still hired for a year at a time, so it was important to point out if someone was hired for some other period of time. But he was probably paid per week.

Now, as a månadskarl he may have been doing all sorts of work that did not require too much in the way of training. I believe this man was originally a farm boy - or at least a country boy? Then he would of course have been very familiar with horses. Perhaps he was hired by a carter, and took care of the horses (stable hand, quite simply; the church clerk didn't care enough to find out exactly what he did, he probably changed careers a few times too) - but of course, working for a carter easily becomes working as a carter, particularly in a foreign country. It's a very human trait, to gild your past a little.
By the way, carter = åkare, coachman = kusk.

As for hyresgäst, it means to rent your home; possibly lodger though, at least a little earlier, I would have said that inhyses was a lodger. A tenant farmer at the end of the 19th century would be an arrendator (earlier an åbo, or a landbo).

Inspektor is not an occupation, it's a title and can, as Judy points out, cover a multitude of things. Perhaps the best modern-day translation would be supervisor, because that is also a catch-all.
However, to be a former inspektor without ever having been an inspektor is very interesting.
He could have been an inspector in the city, because typically the church clerks wouldn't contact everybody every year to ask if they had the same occupation as last year. No household examinations in the city! Occupation was usually only changed when something happened; you moved, you had a child etc. - and then only if the clerk remembered to ask you. Perhaps he was promoted to some sort of supervisor at the carter he (presumably) worked for.

Oh yes, yngling! Young man. Titles like yngling or gosse (boy) often meant that they were not paid full wages (same for girls of course); a gosse could work for just his food (and perhaps lodging) while an yngling was perhaps on half pay. A gosse would usually be under 15 (i.e. not confirmed) and an yngling typically under 21 (i.e. still a minor).

Ingela

2006-09-14, 00:48
Svar #9

Harold Silander

Thank you, Ingela, for such a lucid explanation of both the jobs and the HFL records in a city.

You are correct, he was a farmer's son. So your theory seems good.

His first family split up in 1894 and he returned to Kungsbacka with his second family.  

They lived on farms, as a tenant and former Inspektor, so it seems that he was not working.  

He was only 47, but both he and his second wife had died before 1900. Seems very young for a manual worker to retire, don't you think? And, like his first wife, very young to die.

Any thoughts welcome. Whatever, you have all been very helpful. Much appreciated. Harold

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna