ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Translation Help Please  (läst 875 gånger)

2007-08-30, 18:56
läst 875 gånger

Heather Shepard

Hello!
I have a copy of my great great grandmother's baptismal record.  There is a remark in Swedish that I wondered if someone would be able to help me with?

It reads:

Ingar Kajsa Anderson och enligt hennes uppgift: John Peterson/wittnes Modren.

Any help would be wonderful!  

Thanks, Heather

2007-08-30, 19:32
Svar #1

Utloggad Bo Berndtsson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3221
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-24, 11:06
    • Visa profil
Inger Kajsa Andersson and, according to her statement, John Peterson/testified by the Mother

2007-08-30, 19:48
Svar #2

Heather Shepard

I think my great great grandmother, Christine, was illigitmate, so this would be saying that according to the mother, Inga Kajsa Andersson, the father was John Peterson?

Just making sure.
Thanks,  
Heather

2007-08-31, 12:38
Svar #3

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Exactly, and since it was set down in the birth record it's fairly certain that the vicar also thought he really was the father; the vicar wouldn't write something he thought even slightly improbable. Also the putative father seems not to have made any formal denial.
This sort of statement is of course not as good as John Peterson has agreed/confessed... but personally I would put him as the father - though I would make a note that he is the father according to the mother and her mother but also that he hasn't denied it.

Ingela

2007-08-31, 16:36
Svar #4

Heather Shepard

Ingela,
Thank you so very much!

I have worried about that remark for a long time.  Christine used the surname Hanson, and everyone in my family thought Inga's second husband, Andrew Hanson, was her father.  However, I noticed that Inga and Andrew were married three years after Chrisine's birth, and Christine and two other step-children were not mentioned in Andrew's will.  That led me to believe that Andrew was not the father.  I was still shocked when I saw that baptismal record though, so I wanted to make sure of the translation.  

I am thankful to have a probable name for Christine's father now, but I don't have a clue how to search for a John Peterson with no other identifying information.  Any suggestions?

Thanks again!
Heather Shepard

2007-08-31, 18:22
Svar #5

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil

2007-08-31, 20:04
Svar #6

Heather Shepard

Judy,
Thank you for that web site.  I was amazed!  I had no idea there was information like that out there.  I will definitely research those other options.  I have a couple Swedish births to unwed mothers.  

Sadly, my great great grandmother, Christine, was born in Red Wing, Minnesota in a poor house.  I have the poor house records of her birh, and the baptismal record at her church.  I have not been able to find any other identifying information on John Peterson so far.  It is too common of a name to look by name alone.

Thanks Again,
Heather

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna