ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Translation Help  (läst 2861 gånger)

2005-07-21, 16:37
läst 2861 gånger

Robert Goranson

I found this about my Grandfather who came to America in 1907 and went to Seminary school in Illinois.  I recognize some words but would like someone to translate if you have time.  Thanks in advance, Bob.

SEMINARIE-POSTEN
BIOGRAFI ÖVER SEMINARIETS
UTGÅENDE SPECIALKLASS.

N. Alfred Göransson är född i Torpa, Kronobergs Län, den 6 Okt. 1884.  Omvänd vid nitton år, blev döpt och förenade sig med. Baptistförsamlingen i Ekryd.  Broder Göransson, som allt sedan sin omväandelse icke varit av denna världen men varit i Världen, greps redan i unga är av en längtan, att senågot mer av världen, än det, som var att finna inom Sveriges gränser.  Denna längtan blev snart en verklighet för vår broder, då han företog en utländsk resa till Danmark, dår han stannade några år.  Återkommen till fosterjorden med hälsa och krafter, greps han dock inom kort av den i Sverige obotliga ”Amerika-febern.”  Medveten om, skaffa en sådan åkomma, reste br. G. 1907 till Amerika, där han snart fann passande botmedel för densamma.  Ehuru han anlände till Amerika med beslutsamhet att på allvar fortsäatta kampen för tillvaron, förblev han dock sin frälsare och församlingen trogen, ty innan hans medlemsbetyg blivit utslitit i fickorna eller av råttorna uppätit i någon låda, förenadehan sig omedelbart med baptistförsamilngen i Rockford, Ill., där han med intreese delto i verksamheten och innehade under längre och kortare tid förtroendeplatser, såsom söndagssköllärare förestånde, till dess han inträdde i seminariet i Morgan park, h 6sten 1913.  Under två sommar och en julferie har han tjänat församlingen i Rhinelander, Wis. Samt förliden julferie in Galseburg, Ill.  Efter skolavslutningen kommer broder Göransson att upptaga arbetet i Chicago Heights i Illinois konferensens tjänst.

N. Alfred Göransson Kommer att tills vidare uphålla verksamheten i Chicago Heights, Ill.

N. Alfred Göransson besokte Mud Hen Lake, Wis. Och predikade därstädes söndagen den 22 maj.

2005-07-21, 18:41
Svar #1

Utloggad Christina Skagerborg

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 661
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-01-27, 16:37
    • Visa profil
Hello Bob,

I have done a quick translation and there might be some Swenglish expressions and I might have misunderstood some older words or expressions. Some parts of the text are a bit difficult to understand. Hopefully someone out there will correct me if I’ve done a major mistranslation. Anyway you’ll get the gist of the text.  

Seminarieposten
Biography of the Seminary’s graduating special class.  

N. Alfred Göransson is born in Torpa, Kronoberg district on 6 Oct.1884. A convert at the age of nineteen, he was baptised and joined the Baptist parish in Ekeryd. Brother Göransson who ever since his conversion has not been of this world but been in the World, was captured already at a young age by a longing to see something more of the world than what was to be found within the borders of Sweden. This longing was soon to become a reality for our brother when he went on a trip abroad to Denmark where he stayed a few years. Returning to his native country with good health and strength he was soon captured by the incurable “American fever” in Sweden. Realizing, [missing word?] catching such a desease, br. G. went to America 1907 where he soon found a suitable remedy for the same. Even though he arrived in America with a firmness to continue his struggle for existence, he remained faithful to his saviour and his parish and before his membership certificate had been worn out in his pockets or eaten by rats in a box, he united with the Baptist parish in Rockford, Ill. where he with interest took part in the work and had several commissions of trust such as Sunday school teacher [I don’t understand ‘förestånde’, perhaps it should be ‘förestående’ meaning he was in charge] until he entered the Seminary in Morgan Park in the autumn 1913. For two summers and one Christmas holiday he has served the parish in Rhinelander, Wis. And last Christmas holiday in Galseburg, Ill. After the graduation brother Göransson will take on the work for the conference of Chicago Heights in Illinois.

N. Alfred Göransson will further the work in Chicago Heights, Ill.

N. Alfred Göransson visited Mud Hen Lake, Wis. And preached there Sunday 22 of May.

Christina

2005-07-21, 20:04
Svar #2

Robert Goranson

Christina,

Thank you for the quick response and the excellent translation.  I did find a sentence that I left off a couple of words.  Sorry about that.  Here is what part of the sentence should have stated.

där han med intreese deltog i verksamheten och innehade under längre och kortare tid förtroendeplatser, såsom söndagssköllärare föreståndare och ungdomsföreningens ordförande, till dess han inträdde i seminariet i Morgan park, hösten 1913.

Again, thank you so much.

Bob

2005-07-21, 20:12
Svar #3

Robert Goranson

Christana,

Sorry again I meant to add another portion to a sentence where you read as a missing word.  You are coirrect, here is the portion of the sentence with the left out portion added.

Medveten om, attSveriges läkare icke kunde avskaffa en sådan åkomma, reste br. G. 1907 till Amerika

I will do better next time.

Thanks again.

Bob

2005-07-22, 09:48
Svar #4

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Bob,  

A 'föreståndare' is a manager, someone in charge. Alfred Göransson was also chairman of the church youth organisation 'ungdomsföreningens ordförande'.

The missing part means:  Knowing that Swedish doctors could not rid of such a desease, br. G. went to America.

Christina

2005-07-22, 14:33
Svar #5

Robert Goranson

Christina,

Thank you so much for the translation.

Bob Goranson

2005-10-27, 19:08
Svar #6

Robert Goranson

I also have the following about my Grandfather N. A. Goranson that I would like translated if someone has some time.  I know it has something about payment to N. A. Goranson for being pastor.  N. A. Goranson is from Siren, Wisconsin and this writing dates back to 1923.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

2005-10-27, 19:39
Svar #7

Utloggad Britt Börjesson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 396
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-08-30, 20:33
    • Visa profil
”Pastor Göransson från Siren, Wis var på förslag att kalla såsom föreståndare och Predikant för härvarande församling.
Förslaget understädes och antogs enhälligt, att kalla Pastor N A Göransson från Siren Wis och förbinder församlingen sig till, att om kallelsen antages, till Pastor Göransson betala en årlig lön af (ettusen dollars) $ 1 000 jemte fritt pastorsboställe samt reseomkostningarne hit.”

The parish decided to call upon Pastor Göransson, and offered him 1000 dollars a year plus housing and travel expenses.

2005-10-27, 19:45
Svar #8

Utloggad Camilla Fagerberg

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 1
  • Senast inloggad: Aldrig
    • Visa profil
Hi Bob,

Pastor Göranson from Siren Wis was suggested for the employment as superintendent and preacher for this parish.
It was unanimous decided to employ Pastor N.A. Göranson from Siren Wis and the parish will pay a yearly salory of one thousand dollars $1000,00 as well as free accomodation and travelling expenses.

Soren

2005-10-27, 20:20
Svar #9

Robert Goranson

Britt and Soren,

Thanks for the quick response.

This is such a wonderful and useful site.  So many kind people.

Bob

2005-11-04, 22:15
Svar #10

Robert Goranson

N. Alfred Göransson is born in Torpa, Kronoberg district on 6 Oct.1884. A convert at the age of nineteen, he was baptised and joined the Baptist parish in Ekeryd.

According to the above, N. A. Göransson was baptised in Ekeryd around 1903.

Two questions:
Is Ekeryd a Kommune, Town, Villiage or Parish in Småland?
Are there any records available to reflect the Baptism?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

2005-11-05, 08:24
Svar #11

Bo Johansson

Svenska Ortnamn 1999 has 18 places (farms/villages) named Ekeryd, 12 in Småland province (7 in Jönköping county, 3 in Kronoberg county, 2 in Kalmar county), plus 2 in Blekinge and 4 in Västergötlamd.

// Bo Johansson

2005-11-05, 11:04
Svar #12

Utloggad Olle Elm

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11052
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-26, 23:58
    • Visa profil
    • www.orserum.info
Torpa parish is situated in the county of Kronoberg and the kommun Ljungby. There is a place called Ekeryd, in Hinneryd parish, not far away from Torpa parish. This would be the first place I would examine.
Perhaps his baptism is mentioned in the husförhörslängd, in the parish where he lived (was registred) at this time.
Regards,
Olle Elm
Vänligen,
Olle Elm

2005-11-05, 21:57
Svar #13

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
I googled and found Ekeryds Baptistförsamling (seems to be the one in Hinneryd parish, that Olle mentioned - at least the area code is the same). There was also name and phone number for a contact person there - Manfred Johansson, 0433-400 24. No email given. If it's the same church, perhaps they have records of who was baptized when.

2005-11-07, 02:25
Svar #14

Robert Goranson

Bo, Olle and Anna-Carin,

Thanks so much for your help.

I'll check Ekeryd in Hinneryd Parish.

Bob

2005-11-08, 17:19
Svar #15

Robert Goranson

Can someone tell me both the Swedish and English translations to the words to the right of Göran Persson and Anders Johann in the picture below.

It was taken from the 1900 Census in Torpa.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

2005-11-08, 17:56
Svar #16

Utloggad Yvonne Nilvé-Svensson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 183
  • Senast inloggad: 2021-06-29, 23:01
    • Visa profil
Hi Bob
The two word are:
Hemmansägare in swedish meaning homeowner or homestead-owner, and Tegelverksarbetare meaning brickmaker or working in a brickmaking factory. Hope I've got it right and that you can understand what their titles are.

Yvonne

2005-11-08, 18:15
Svar #17

Robert Goranson

Yvonne,

Thank you so much.

Bob

2005-11-08, 18:42
Svar #18

Robert Goranson

I have another word I would like to know in  Swedish and English translation.  It was found in the 1900 census next to an individual named Johanna Helena Persdotter.  It looks as though she is living in the household with my relatives but I can not tell.  I could not find this word on the online translator.

Thanks again,
Bob

2005-11-08, 19:04
Svar #19

Utloggad Olle Andersson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1081
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-03-22, 19:32
    • Visa profil
Bob!

It looks like Arbeterska e.g. female worker.
The ending -erska you can find in many other words: sjuksköterska, sömmerska, bagerska.

Olle

2005-11-08, 19:26
Svar #20

Robert Goranson

Olle,

Thanks for your help.

It would make sense then that Johanna was living with my relatives and working for the family.  Not sure though.

Bob

2005-11-08, 20:29
Svar #21

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
I would rather think that she worked elsewhere, as she would have been noted as a servant or domestic, if she worked for the family she lived with.

2005-11-08, 20:49
Svar #22

Utloggad Bibi Gustafson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 213
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-03-01, 22:30
    • Visa profil
She could have been a lodger (roomer). It was not uncommon to have a lodger to help pay the rent even when your living area was quite small.  

Bibi

2005-11-08, 22:17
Svar #23

Robert Goranson

Elisabeth and Bibi,

I agree with both of you.  When I look at the Census it is kind of difficult to tell whether she is actually living in the same household as my relatives.

Thanks,
Bob

2021-06-15, 20:50
Svar #24

Utloggad Augusta Luckham

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 6
  • Senast inloggad: 2021-09-04, 14:45
    • Visa profil
    I need some help with the translation of a death record. I cannot tell what the cause for death is for Karolina Persdottor or the words after her husband Karl Fagersten's name. She is number 4 on the list. Thanks-- Heidi and Arabel
https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/F0001083_00032#?c=&m=&s=&cv=31&xywh=2002%2C2451%2C1689%2C3114

2021-06-15, 20:57
Svar #25

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
It says "Bröstlidande" suffering of the lungs, perhaps TB.

Christina

2023-11-20, 12:55
Svar #26

Utloggad Peter Nelson

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 5
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-11-22, 09:21
    • Visa profil
Can someone help with to read the exact words (or perhaps translation) about this generalmönsterruller from Nydala/Sandvik no 10. concerning Anders Sandahl.
I believe he left his position on 1 April 1726 and his son Per Sandahl continued, but not really sure of the exact text.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
MvH
Peter
peter.nelson@t-online.de

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna