ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Swedish Occupation  (läst 919 gånger)

2006-07-01, 16:15
läst 919 gånger

Candace

Under occupation it says---Torp. fd Sold. Could someone help me translate? The best I could do was something regarding a soldier??

Thanks much,
Candace

2006-07-01, 17:06
Svar #1

Utloggad Lena Holm Wahlsten

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 144
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-08-21, 19:10
    • Visa profil
Torp. means torpare which is a crofter. Fd is före detta which means formerly.
Regards Lena

2006-07-01, 17:08
Svar #2

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Torp. = torpare, a crofter.
Someone who is a tenant of a very small farm, sublet from a large farm or even an estate. The crofter and his family payed the rent by working a certain number of days for the farmer they rented the farm from. Sometimes a farmer would let out land which was inaccessible and/or not in very good shape for nothing - only, when the crofter had worked the land and improved it and built some kind of road, the farmer now had valuable land instead of the original worthless one.
Torp (croft) and torpare (crofter) were not uncommon in the 18th century but the number exploded in the 19th century since there was a massive population increase.

fd Sold. = före detta soldat, formerly a soldier.
Soldiers were payed very little; instead they were given the use of a torp - soldattorp (croft - soldier's croft), supplemented with allowances like firewood etc. At the end of their service period they had to leave the croft where they had lived and worked for maybe twenty years. This was called the allotment system, indelningsverket, and was in effect from the late 17th century until 1901.
However, if the soldier was energetic and had an energetic and ambitious family, he could claim land for another torp and work this torp so that when his service as a soldier ended he had something to fall back on.
Also, towards the end of the allotment system - late 19th century - it happened that the soldier was allowed to remain on his soldier's croft after he had retired from service.

So, a very common career: a soldier who after his service period was ended continued as a crofter.

Ingela

2006-07-01, 17:09
Svar #3

Utloggad Lena Holm Wahlsten

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 144
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-08-21, 19:10
    • Visa profil
And of course sold. is soldier!
Lena

2006-07-01, 17:20
Svar #4

Candace

Thanks so much for the translation. I have learned so much about life in Sweden with the family research I've done. And everyone is so kind and helpful.

Have a good day!
Candace

2006-07-04, 05:49
Svar #5

Candace

Could someone translate for me?

Spikfabriksbetare ?

Fabriksarbetare  ?

Seem to be a description of a person??

Thanks,
Candace

2006-07-04, 06:47
Svar #6

Utloggad Stig Hansson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2040
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-23, 12:38
    • Visa profil
Hi Candance
Fabriksarbetare is factory worker and spik is nail ie he or she is working in a factory manufaturing nails
Stig

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna