ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Swedish """"extra"""" vowels-how to create them!  (läst 1180 gånger)

2000-03-05, 03:46
läst 1180 gånger

donna

As someone who does not speak Swedish, I found it nearly impossible to find instructions on how to create the three extra vowels of the Swedish alphabet on my keyboard. This may seem rather strange to some people but I have noticed many spelling errors on various sites. I believe that it is a common problem for people that are not familiar with the Swedish language.  
Sites I visited stressed the importance of using these correctly-and how trying to substitute letters from the standard alphabet could change the very meaning of the word attempting to be conveyed...yet only one site I found listed how to create these. (Carina's Genealogy Homepage-kudos to you Carina for thinking of those of us that weren't familiar with this!)

Here are the instructions:
To create each letter you must press ALT and then enter the number combination as noted below:
  å  0229
  Å  0197
  ä  0228
  Ä  0196
  ö  0246
  Ö  0214

Happy...correct spelling!
Donna

2000-03-05, 14:45
Svar #1

Utloggad Jörgen Tollesson

• Arkivguiden (www.arkivguiden.net)
  • Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6923
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-24, 12:05
  • Bild: Båhusläns flagga
    • Visa profil
    • Arkivguiden med Arkivguidens Forum, Båhus Arkivguide och Göteborgs Arkivguide
Donna,

I have mentioned this subject before under Släkter: Övriga släkter: Wikland. Then I wasn´t sure if there was an international standard for these codes. Now I´m sure. It´s not!  

If I use the numbers you mention, I get these letters/signs:

229=Õ
197=
228=õ
196=
246=÷
214=Í

I got these numbers on my keyboard:

å=134
Å=143
ä=132
Ä=142
ö=148
Ö=153

Notice: In Norwegian and Danish they use the letter Æ instead of the Swedish Ä, and Ø instead of Ö. And the numbers for these letters are (at least on my keyboard!):

æ=145
Æ=146
ø=155
Ø=157
Kontakt: http://www.arkivguiden.net/jts.shtml. | Ser gamla inlägg (före april 2016) underliga ut? Argumenterar jag mot mig själv? Saknas något i inläggen? Finns där något som inte borde vara där? Läs då om orsaken här: http://forum.arkivguiden.net/agf/disk/42626/62869.shtml#post16472.

2000-03-05, 16:57
Svar #2

Utloggad Birgitta Lönnerberg

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 68
  • Senast inloggad: 2021-01-26, 18:04
    • Visa profil
    • hem.passagen.se/bme
Jörgen! 229 and 0229 is not the same ...  
:-) Birgitta

2000-03-06, 01:35
Svar #3

donna

Jörgen: Hi! I noticed in your response that you omitted the preceding 0 for each entry I had listed. If those are not included then I get the same results that you note.
I also attempted the I got these numbers on my keyboard list you provided- and they worked on mine as well! So I guess they can be created either way.  
I had made mention of the ones from Carina's site simply because it was the only place that I had seen the issue discussed and addressed (in English) which included the instructions on how to. I did not check the discussions in swedish because I am not able to translate/understand it fluently.

Regards,
Donna

2000-03-06, 15:33
Svar #4

Utloggad Sven-Ove Brattström

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3276
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-09, 14:25
  • Bilden är gammal, mera rynkor nu :)
    • Visa profil
Hi!
If you are using Microsoft Windows, you will find all special signs/letters in the file help for windows. There are no numbercodes given, but you can easy find out the right one to use, by simply counting, as they are listed in order from lowest to highest. As a hint the letter Z has the decimal numbercode 90. The list is for WINDOWS ANSI-code, which is the standard in windows. It differs a bit from the ASCII-code, but not for the numbercodes lower than 128.
It is easy to find the codelists in printed form,as almost all books about computing contains such lists. But control that it does, before you buy it, if you prefer to have a printed list.
Regards,     Sven-Ove Brattström
Brattis (före 2004 Linewizard) = Sven-Ove Brattström

2002-01-27, 20:25
Svar #5

Stig Larsson

The easiest way if you are using Windows is to change your language setting to English-International. Then when you are typing, just press and hold the RightSide Alt key, then

w (for å)
q (for ä)
p (for ö)

Hope this works for you.
Stig

2002-01-27, 21:35
Svar #6

Utloggad Siv Nauman

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 330
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-04-24, 22:33
    • Visa profil
Here is one more method:
Press Alt and at the same time type the number below for the corresponding letter.
134=å
143=Å
132=ä
142=Ä
148=ö
153=Ö
129=?
154=?
Regards Siv

2002-02-01, 15:17
Svar #7

Wayne Johnson

Hi,

I have found the easiest FOR ME is to add the language in question to the keyboard; I have English (as Default), Swedish, Danish, Norwegian and German options installed on my keyboards.  By simply keying Alt and Shift at the same time, I can change between languages.  As far as I know, all Windows versions have the option of adding a language TO THE KEYBOARD.

The way to add a language is: click Start, go up to Settings and Open Control Panel, click on Keyboard, look for the tab marked Language and click add, pull the slider bar down to the language you want, highlight it, select how you want to switch languages from the two choices, check that you want to see the selected language on the taskbar, click Apply, and then click OK.  You should see the language on the taskbar next to the clock.  Your home language should stay as the Default language; i.e., do not select Set as Default when selecting (adding), say Swedish.

I easily switch through the four languages -- the adding of the various affects mainly the righthand keys: ;: becomes öÖ, ' becomes äÄ, [{ becomes åÅ, ]} becomes ^?^, p remains p, and so forth.  In Norwegian, the ;: becomes ??, the ' becomes ??, the [{ becomes åÅ, and so on.  In German there are other changes as well, the ;: becomes öÖ, the ' becomes äÄ, but the Y becomes Z and vice versa.  I hope this helps, but obviously, it is not necessary to make the changes unless you frequently write in those selected languages.

Regards, Wayne Johnson

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna