ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Spelling changes  (läst 640 gånger)

2002-08-27, 15:32
läst 640 gånger

Mary E Leveille

In what year did the spelling of a lot of words change?  And what was the reason for this? Is the w used anymore or just for names? Why was the w changed to a v in a lot of the old names like Wisby to Visby. Also some words seemed to become entirely new words.

2002-08-27, 17:18
Svar #1

Utloggad John Winblad von Walter

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 250
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-12-01, 22:05
    • Visa profil
Hello Mary!

A national spelling reform took place in Sweden in 1906 which was aimed at simplifying and standardizing the spelling of many words, names, and placenames, including many towns, farms, and parishes. For us genealogists and researchers living in America and other places in the world it can be rather confusing at first.  But once you get a sense of the changes you automatically began looking for them when new words and places crop up in old documents or books. If you can find an old Swedish/English dictionary from before 1906 it makes it a lot easier to negotiate the changes.  I myself use one from about 1890, as well as one from 1788.  And you can always ask spelling questions or meanings in Rotter's Anbytarforum, and feel free to e-mail me with questions of spelling before the 1906 change.

Some of the 1906 changes were that c was generally replaced by k; fv, fw, and hv were replaced by v; and dt was replaced by t or tt.  W, which can often show the influence of very early or of foreign language and culture, is often converted to v, though in proper personal names and surnames (like mine) the w is often yet used, though in Sweden it would be pronounced as v.  

John Winblad von Walter, Chanhassen, Minnesota, USA

2002-08-27, 17:43
Svar #2

Mary E Leveille

John, thank you so much for your explanation. Everyone on this message board has been so kind and helpful. I have learned so very many things about Sweden, and have gotten so many pieces to the many puzzles. Thank you again.

2002-08-27, 18:05
Svar #3

Utloggad Mikael Edberg

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 532
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-01-19, 21:32
    • Visa profil
    • hem.bredband.net/mikedb/slaktindex.htm
Mary,
Other changes in the spelling is that the vowels e and o nowadays often is spelled ä and å.
By the way, have you read my answer about Storkläppen under Småland/Socknar/Loftahammar?
I will go to my summerhouse this weekend and may found more pictures of the island there.
Do you have an email-adress so i can send the pictures directly. (They may be to large for this forum).
My email adress is: mikael.edberg@bredband.net

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna