ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Sockenman  (läst 510 gånger)

2002-08-31, 20:00
läst 510 gånger

Sue Beckius

Hej!

I have been unable to find a translation of sockenman as one word. It it shown preceding a father's name on a birth record. I thought it simply meant: parish(socken) man, but I received a further explanation that it means more than a man living in a parish- that it means a man of certain responsibilities. Could someone tell me what types of responsibilities this might be referring to or where I might be able to locate this information myself?
Thanks
Sue

2002-08-31, 22:19
Svar #1

Lars Göran Larsson

Hi Sue

Sockenman  or sockneman  
was used about the socken inhabitants (males) that were legally obliged to participate in communal affairs like churchbuilding/repairs and caring for the poor.
He also had the vote when the sockenstämma met.This applied to people of means. (Farmers and such who paid taxes)

In Hälsingland were I come from it is also used as a kind of honorary title given to the elderly farmers.

Hope this answers your question
Regards/Lars

2002-09-01, 02:06
Svar #2

Sue Beckius

Lars,

Thank you so much for the excellant answer to my question regarding sockenman. It was very helpful and gives me another clue about my family.
Sue

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna