ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Reading help  (läst 1250 gånger)

2007-01-27, 20:44
läst 1250 gånger

Don Carlgren

I believe my ancestor, Anders Olsson, was born in Silbodal in 1729. In reading the birth records, I find I'm lost. The priest didn't enlarge and darken his script for the new-born's first name, which is what I'm used to. I see complete names early--and they are both men and women. Are these the person telling the priest? Or is he giving the new-born a full name, rather than just a first name? GID number 522.22.2000 is in the middle of the year, if anyone can spare the time to have a look.

2007-01-27, 21:29
Svar #1

Utloggad Calle Lindström

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1951
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-25, 13:48
    • Visa profil
Don, I think you got him on number 20, on the GID you give. Anders Olufsson from ???? born the 26:th October, baptist the 28:th.
As you note, the newborn is given full name. Not so unusuell.
Best regards,
Calle

2007-01-27, 21:57
Svar #2

Don Carlgren

Thank you. I've made it through many of these documents, but some I can't make out at all. Does this one provide parent's names, or the farm/village he was from? I don't see anything else I can recognize as a name.

2007-01-28, 12:31
Svar #3

Utloggad Lars Åkesson

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 90
  • Senast inloggad: Aldrig
    • Visa profil
Don,
As far as I can see, the record does not mention the parent's names other than it was supposed to be read as Anders, who was Olof's son from Slemtegen, born... etc, as Calle Lindström wrote, ie. no mother's name. I looked at Silbodal's birth records and it seems that the father's full name is noted from May 1736 and the mother's name is included from June 1738.

The farm/village is, as mentioned before, Slemtegen and there is also a part with the witnesses:  
fadrar woro Nills Olsson och Oluf Rasmusson i Slemtegen, drängen Tårkell I Lysedt, qvinfållcks faddrer hustru Ragnell i Låbyen och h: Anna i Slemtegen, pigan Sahra i Strand;  
the males (here with a normalized spelling) are first: Nils Olofsson and Olof Rasmusson from Slemtegen, drängen Torkel i Lysed and then the females: the married women (hustru and h: resp.; a wife) Ragnhild from Låbbyn and Anna from Slemtegen and pigan Sara from Strand. /Lars

2007-01-28, 12:36
Svar #4

Utloggad Lars Åkesson

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Sorry, the passage 'drängen' Torkel i Lysed should be read as: drängen Torkel from Lysed. The Swedish got the upper hand there :-)
/Lars

2007-01-28, 16:31
Svar #5

Don Carlgren

Thank you to both Lars and Calle!

2007-01-28, 18:28
Svar #6

Don Carlgren

Lars, I've now taken a look at, and printed, the two birth records to which you referred me. I assumed that they said something like Oluf Olufsson as father, and x as mother, both from Slemtegen? On the 1738 record, is it #12 you're looking at?I can't see Slemtegen, although I do see a Barbro and an Oluf, and later an Oluf Olufsson. #12 in the 1736 records, all I see is the Olufsson. These two are at 522.23.12400 and 522.23.11800. Can I trouble you for an approximate translation?

2007-01-28, 21:26
Svar #7

Don Carlgren

Just re-read your letter, Lars. You weren't referring to anything to do with any particular birth--just what the local practice was. Sorry for mis-interpreting, and thanks again!

2007-01-28, 23:57
Svar #8

Utloggad Lars Åkesson

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Don,
I am sorry to have misled you. I was generally speaking about the birth records of Silbodal and not referring to the parents of Anders.  

After reading your note above, I examined the Silbodal records more closely and I am afraid that there were more than one Olof living at Slemtegen in the early 1700's.

From the marriage records, you find at least five Olof that have some connection with Slemtegen:
1709, Jan 1, Olof Rasmusson marries Karin Larsdotter. Both are probably from S.
1723, Oct 28, Olof Kristoffersson marries Gertrud Persdotter from S.
1725, Jan 6, Olof Persson from S. marries Anna Algotsdotter from Årjäng
1725, Feb 2, Olof Olofsson from (Gullsjö?) marries Kerstin Persdotter from S.
1727, Jan 1, the widower Olof Persson from S. marries Karin Eriksdotter from Södra Ström.

From the birth records you find that the first couple, Olof Rasmusson and Karin Larsdotter have at least three children born 1710, 1712 and 1716 resp.

Olof Kristoffersson and Gertrud Persdotter have one child born in 1723.

There is also one Olof Olofsson married to Ingegärd Bryngelsdotter who have at least three children born 1711, 1714 and 1718 resp.

You also find that Olof Andersson (no name of his wife) has a child born in 1722.

In 1725 the vicar stops entering the names of the parents for some reason and from that year, until the new book with birth records is started in 1736, there are 11 children born to an Olof in Slemtegen. Anders Olofsson, born Oct 24, 1729, who you asked about, has Olof Rasmusson as a baptism witness so we can exclude him as Anders' father, leaving us with Olof Olofsson, Olof Persson and Olof Andersson as a plausible father. It was my hope that the baptism witnesses of these 11 children might give a clue to single out Anders' father, but unfortunately I wasn't able to that.

There is, however, an household examination roll starting in 1753, volume AI:1, which I also looked in, and there on page 147 (GID 522.16.45700) you find most likely two of the Olof mentioned above, Olof Persson and Olof Andersson. Olof Andersson has a son Anders born in 1735 and as it was very unusual to have more than one living child with the same name (even though I have found an example of this) then obviously we can exclude Olof Andersson.

Turning to Olof Persson instead, you find that he has a son called Anders born in 1729 and it is probably here you have your Anders. If you can find Olof Persson's estate inventory, you might substantiate that this is actually the Anders you are looking for. Olof's son Per have a birth year which at first sight might look as 1729, but the year has been altered to 1728 and you also find a Per Olofsson from Slemtegen born that year and date in the birth records. Also to be noted is that the name of Olof Persson's wife is Anna Eriksdotter in the household examination roll. In the marriage records, it says that he was married to Karin Eriksdotter in 1727. I have found a note of the death of his first wife, Anna Algotsdotter, in 1726 but nothing about Karin Eriksdotter. In the death records, there is a note about Erik, the son of Olof Persson and Anna Eriksdotter in 1742 who was one year old at the time of his death, which means that Olof and Anna must have been married before 1740 and in 1735 there is a hustru Anna Eriksdotter from Slemtegen who is a baptism witness, so the only explanation I can think of is that Anna Eriksdotter is actually Karin Eriksdotter from the marriage records and that her name has  erroneously been noted in the marriage records.

Once again, I am really sorry for misleading you in the first place, but I hope that the information above might give you some clues to solve the mystery of Anders Olofsson's father.
Best regards,
Lars

PS
If you want me to, I can post a list of the Slemtegen births, marriages and deaths. Just let me know.

2007-01-29, 00:00
Svar #9

Utloggad Lars Åkesson

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
My note is referring to your post from 18.28 :-)

2007-01-29, 00:27
Svar #10

Don Carlgren

Lars, you didn't mislead me at all. I was eager to think your note meant finding another ancestor, and I mis-read it. It was all my fault. You spent a lot of time on this last response, which is very interesting. I'll have a look at, and copy, all that are readable--now and in the future. Thank you very much!!

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna