ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Letter translation  (läst 2145 gånger)

2008-02-19, 11:35
läst 2145 gånger

Utloggad Michael Swensson

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 8
  • Senast inloggad: 2008-02-21, 21:39
    • Visa profil
could anybody have a go at translating this letter ..written by one of my grandfather's fosterparents in höryda/fridlevstad.
hope the attachment is legible !

2008-02-19, 12:36
Svar #1

Utloggad Bo Johansson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 247
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-07-05, 11:17
    • Visa profil
That it is with my permission that my foster son Johan Edvard Svensson with the intention of studying bee-keeping during this summer is undertaking a journey to the bee-keeper Mr John Hewitt 167 Shirebrook Rd. Healy, Sheffield, England; is hereby certified.

Härryda(??) Björkeryd the 4th April 189
Jöns Andersson

His own signature certified
August Carlsson
secretary of Tuinge(?)
bee-keeper association

A. Svensson
Chairman

// Bo Johansson

2008-02-19, 17:02
Svar #2

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Many thanks Bo ..my grandfather was a keen amateur bee-keeper.The place names you query (Höryda,Björkeryd,Tving) are small villages in Fridlevstad parish, Blekinge.
I have another formal letter, but its too big for an attachment. Any ideas how I can post it on the Forum.
Mike Swensson

2008-02-20, 09:48
Svar #3

Utloggad Micael Ström

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 3
  • Senast inloggad: 2009-01-13, 20:16
    • Visa profil
    • www.enkelheten.se
Michael!
If you have a homepage of your own, then you can publish the letter there and publish a link to it in this forum. Or scan and edit the image in PhotoShop by making the filesize as small as possible without shrinking the image

2008-02-20, 12:33
Svar #4

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thanks Micke .. I have managed to reduce the file size by splitting the letter into two parts.
To the Forum ..Is there anybody out there who could possibly have a go at translating part 1 of this letter ?
  Mike S.

2008-02-20, 18:02
Svar #5

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 674
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-01-29, 22:10
    • Visa profil
It goes something like this. I have tried in some parts to keep it as formal as the Swedish text, but I know I have not succeeded at all times. If you want the precise translation of a word just post it.  

To His Majesty The King

I, the undersigned, petition in subservience to receive a part of the funding the Riksdag has appropriated for grants to persons who, through travels in Sweden, wish to broaden their knowledge of agriculture and its side lines.

My aim is, by traveling in Sweden to well-kept Bee and Poultry Farms, to broaden the insight I already have in these areas, in order to subsequently be able to let this knowledge be to the benefit of the inhabitants, above all in the province where I have my home.

Regards, Karin

2008-02-20, 20:51
Svar #6

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thanks, Karin ..the translation you kindly posted is absolutely fine .. I'll try posting the second half of the letter on the Forum .. hopefully somebody could have a go at translating it.
Again .. many thanks
  Mike S

2008-02-21, 00:56
Svar #7

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Hi,
This part was a bit more difficult to figure out. Some of the handwriting was not easy to decipher. I have put question marks where I am unsure. The names and places are also hard, so there you will find several question marks.  OK...

At the request of Johan Svensson in Höryda in Fridlefstad parish, Blekinge, I hereby certify that he, whom I for many years have come to know as a most rational, and besides that a practical skilled bee-keeper and even an inventor, is well worthy being bestowed with the grant, which the Riksdag has allotted for the purpose of journeys in this country in order to broaden his insights in the fields he has declared in his application.

C?????Spjutebygd??? ´???27? 1878??
                            Hj. Stålhammar?

It is for us a great pleasure to recommend Johan Svensson from Höryda, mentioned above, as especially suited to receive the grant to study Bee and Poultry care, which he for a long time has been engaged in.

Höryda Dec 28, 1897
Sven Nelsson?   K M Nelsson?

Did he get the grant?

Karin

2008-02-21, 07:24
Svar #8

Utloggad Mårten Swärd

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 876
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-03-08, 18:06
    • Visa profil
    • mygen.atavus.se
Hello!
My guess about the name of the places is:
Carlslund, Spjutsbygd.  

Spjutsbygd is located in the parish Rödeby, Blekinge län. Rödeby parish is next to the parish Fridlevstad where Höryda (also mentiond in the letter) is located. The person Hj. Stålhammar is probobly this person:

Record 468398
Stålhammar, Charles Hjalle Fredrik
Captain
b. 1835 in Karlshamn (Blekinge län, Blekinge)
Man, married, father
N. Amerik. medborg. North American citicen
Living in Spjutsbygd Rödeby (Blekinge län, Blekinge)
Place of birth (original source): Karlshamn Blekinge län

Source: Swedish cencus 1900

Regards: Mårten

2008-02-21, 09:20
Svar #9

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Many thanks,Karin & Mårten .. its very kind of you spending time & effort on these translations.Whether my Grandad got his grant ... ? I'm afraid I don't know. I've a couple of personal letters, written to him, from Sweden, after he had married and settled in Birkenhead (Liverpool).I don't know if it breaches Forum etiquette posting personal letters, but, anyway here goes.
Again very many thanks.  Mike S.

2008-02-21, 09:54
Svar #10

Utloggad Bo Johansson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 247
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-07-05, 11:17
    • Visa profil
This was obviously written by someone who was not comfortable with writing. The word choice and sentences are a bit strange, and the spelling is very inventive.

Höryda the 7th March

Beloved(?) son(?) I may ??? thank you for your arrived letter that I have received from you(.) I thought I should have answered the first one (or answered it soon??) but then I thought to wait a little(.) I hear that you all are in health and will live which gladdens me to hear(.) I also am in health which I have much to thank God for(.) Well now I have to tell you that I now have had auction yesterday on the farm(.) It was sold for 5000 (or 5900?) kronor so the investment I(?) should have myself...

I don't understand the last part of the letter, it seems the writer will keep about 900 kronor.

// Bo Johansson

2008-02-21, 11:32
Svar #11

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Wow, the language in this letter is totally different from the formal tone in the previous postings. Bo has done a good job, and I can maybe put in some things he had questions about. He has transferred the tone of the letter very well. My job will be more of an interpretation.

I think the first two words are Elskade joan = Beloved/Dear Johan.

jag får först tacka dig för de kärkomna brev som jag har bekommit ifrån dig. Jag tänkte först att hade skola svarat på det första men så tänkte jag att vänta lite. (Not really a quotation, because I have changed the spelling a bit and put in some punctuation)
Then my translation/interpretation would be: First of all I must thank you for the welcome letters that I have received. I thought I should have answered the first one, but then I decided to wait a while.

Jag hör ni alla har hälsan och må bra vilket gläder mig att höra.  
 Även jag har hälsan vilket jag har mycket att tacka Gud för.
I hear all of you are well and feel fine which makes med happy to hear. Even I am well for which I have to thank God a lot.

Nu får jag omtala att jag nu har haft auktion igår på gården. Den säldes för 5000 kronor, så investeringen skola jag ha själv ??? betalade lånet??. Det vet jag inte riktigt hur mycket, men jag skulle tro en så där 900 kronor. Så förbehöll jag som du vet den stycket for som är vid mors efter ?????.

Now I have to tell you that I have had an auction yesterday on the farm. It was sold for 5000 kronor, so the investment ????????paid the loan. I do not know exactly how much, but I should believe about 900kronor. As you know I reserved the right to the piece of land that is beside mother's?????

Maybe someone else can look with new eyes on the Swedish text and come up with some more ideas.

Karin

2008-02-21, 11:41
Svar #12

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Mike,

The land or farm that this is about is registered somewhere. I do not really know how to find out, but this forum has people with that kind of knowledge. There are maps and deeds to be had, if you are interested. Could be interesting.
Karin

2008-02-21, 12:43
Svar #13

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Karin & Bo ..yet more thanks ..I'm going to post the next part of the letter, before you get fed up with the Svensson family from Höryda.
Karin .. I understand your comments..I'm just a bit overwhelmed at the moment. Apart from these letters, I've started looking at church records, using Höryda/Fridlevstad as a starting point .. rather heavy going !
I think Bo has picked up on a genetic link in his first sentence ..that's how my family describe my letter writing !
Best wishes .. Mike S

2008-02-21, 15:43
Svar #14

Utloggad Linda Simonsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 446
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-10-14, 09:45
    • Visa profil
    • lisopasi.com
Hi Mike

Höryda is probably the best documented village in Sweden online. You will find a lot of information on the pages linked below. Johan and his parents and fosterparents are included in the database.

Regards Linda

Höryda village 1600-1900
All the people in the village.

Information about Fridlevstad parish
Fridlevstad parish map

2008-02-21, 21:32
Svar #15

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thanks Linda .. I'm a bit baffled why Höryda should be so well documented ..but,I'm not complaining. I'm posting part 3 & 4 of this letter, in the hope that a Forum member can puzzle them out.
With reference to those links, I'll definitely be checking them out.I'm a novice using Genline, butI have managed to pick out the families of my grandfather's father, grandfather & great grandfather.
Thanks again, Linda, and also to the other forum members who posted.
Best wishes .. Mike S.

2008-02-21, 21:39
Svar #16

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Part 4 of my letter .. Mike S

2008-02-22, 18:19
Svar #17

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
It will take a while to translate the letter. You perhaps know that is a letter from Johan's mother to her son. In the first part of the letter I see that she has written 5000 and 900. As Bo noted, it might have meant 5900, and I think it did, because in one of the later postings she writes 1500 in the same way : 1000 and 500.

Several times places are named and I do not know where they are, or the correct names. When you have read through the fine material in the links, you will be the expert!

2008-02-22, 19:45
Svar #18

Utloggad Linda Simonsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 446
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-10-14, 09:45
    • Visa profil
    • lisopasi.com
Hi

There is a complete translation of the letters at Osthyveln

Linda

(Meddelandet ändrat av lisopasi den 22 februari, 2008)

2008-02-23, 08:23
Svar #19

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Great job, Linda!
Regards, Karin

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna