ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Johan Ulrik Ekman's birth record at Allmänna Barnbördshuset  (läst 1365 gånger)

2006-03-06, 08:25
läst 1365 gånger

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Hi,

I have a birth record from 1846 for my farmors far. I understand parts of this record but can't translate it well enough for my relatives. It can be found on Genline at GID 2703:61:93500, right side of the page.

I understand that his mother was unmarried, 24 years old, in her first pregnancy, and healthy until the last 6 weeks.Labor started on the 17th of April, 1846, at 11 P.M. and she entered Allmänna Barnbördshuset at 5? P.M. on April 19. There is some medical terminology which I don't understand, but I do understand there was something about the membranes being broken and something about the pains.Then the baby came in the normal way. Something happened at 8 P.M. Then something happened at 10 P.M. (the birth of a living boy?). The afterbirth came out by itself.Maria Ekblad was the assistant. The boy was baptised on the 22nd. The mother and child left on May 2. She had milk in her breasts.

I would like to know the full wording, if someone has the time to help with this.

The next time/place this boy was found was 17 June 1846 in Ekeby, Uppsala, where he was a foster child. (B.B. = barnhus barn?) Would there be more information about him (and perhaps his parents) in the Stockholm stadsarkiv? The Söder CD has him listed as Johan Ulrik Nilsson Ekman at one point, but I've never seen any listing in parish records with Nilsson attached to his name. Would that Nilsson have come from the Rotemansarkiv records?

Thanks for reading this.

Judy

2009-09-07, 17:06
Svar #1

Utloggad Stefan Simander

• Stefan Simander
  • Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 7191
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-25, 22:16
  • Stefan Simander www.freewebs.com/simander
    • Visa profil
    • www.freewebs.com/simander, Simanderska palatset
Judy, did you get any help with this?

I don´t have Genline so I can´t help you.  

The reasoning why I found your message is because I also have a Johan Ulrik (later called Bergström) that was born at Allmänna Barnbördshuset on the 12th of January 1821 by an anonymous mother.  

For more information about my case see  

http://aforum.genealogi.se/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=1063&post=114095#POST114095

(Meddelandet ändrat av simson 2009-09-07 17:30)
Stefan Simander
Gamla Uppsala + Järlåsa, Sweden
www.freewebs.com/simander
076 - 228 94 22

2009-09-07, 19:22
Svar #2

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
No one has ever helped me with that posting. I looked today on the SVAR site but their records for Allmänna Barnbördshuset begin in 1847.

I have found who the mother of Johan Ulrik Ekman was. She was Johanna Sofia Ekman. I have not been able to find her in the city of Stockholm around that time period, but I have found a few other children born to a mother with the same name. Maybe they are half-siblings to my farmors far, Johan Ulrik Ekman.

I found the mother at the Stockholms Stadsarkiv site.

http://tinyurl.com/mbl2pm

There were two records for Johan Ulrik, and I only understand part of those records. I do see the foster parents named. He lived with those foster parents until he was old enough to care for himself. I have found him in the husförhörslängder until he left Sweden. I have trouble with part of these records too.  

http://tinyurl.com/l7898z

http://tinyurl.com/lew4dj

Sadly, I can't find your Johan Ulrik on the same site. I can tell from the links you provided that you are still unable to find the parents of your Johan Ulrik.  

I've wondered if perhaps more could be found at the Stockholm Stadsarkiv. I suppose they must have more information not posted online. I still have been unable to figure out where the Nilsson in Johan Ulrik Nilsson Ekman came from. (I saw Nilsson only on the Söder CD.)

Good luck with your search!

Judy

2009-09-07, 22:28
Svar #3

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
http://tinyurl.com/l7898z from the top down:

1864 Juli 25 Bewiljad Belöningsmedalj 6,019. (granted award medal)
1853 21/7 belöning åt Erik Mattsson och hustru af 1½ Sp. Riksd. (Erik Mattsson and his wife awarded 1½ Specieriksdaler (a currency unit worth a little more than the riksdaler riksgälds))
[Admitted for maintenance] 1846 Juni 17. 15.  
[The child's name, extraction, and foster parents] Johan Ulrik Ekman f. d. 19 April 1846. Ympad (inocculated).
[Annual maintentance] 26 t.a. (might be h.å. - halft år; half year as he was admitted by mid-year)
[Paid off] (seems to list the quarterly installments paid to the foster parents)

No 265 S.B. Modern Amman No 230 Johanna Sofie Ekman (Mother, the wet-nurse)

Uppfostras af Skattebonden Erik Mattsson och dess Hustru i Dyflinge - Ekeby sn. (raised by tax-paying farmer Erik Mattsson and his wife in Dyflinge, Ekeby parish)

1847 April 1 förhöjs till 52 (yearly maintenance raised to)
1847 Maj 1 minskas till 34.32 (yearly maintenance lowered to)
           antagit till BHB. d 21/4. 47. (admitted as an orphanage child)
1848 Maj 1 D:o 26. (ditto - i.e. maintenance lowered)
           1848 21/3 Kolt. (child's frock, as opposed to swaddling-clothes; but I doubt he'd have been swaddled for nearly two years, so it might mean he was moved to a ward for toddlers, which were called koltbarn (frock children) in Swedish child care well into the 20th century - the word looks like Rolt but that doesn't make any sense to me at all)
- the rest of the page is more of the same, just different numbers.

(Meddelandet ändrat av acb 2009-09-07 23:00)

2009-09-07, 22:46
Svar #4

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
http://tinyurl.com/lew4dj (easier to read so I just type the translation):

#6019 (Earlier #2684)
Johan Ulrik Ekman
[Born] 1846 [on] April 19
[Parents:] Mother the wet-nurse #230 Johanna Sofia Ekman

1846 May 9 [Admitted to the orphanage] as a suckling admitted as a orphanage child on 21/4 1847.
#265 Sp. B. (? might be spalt=column B) [Wednesday's Proceedings on] 6/5 1846
1846 June 17 [Left to] tax-paying farmer Erik Mattsson in Dyflinge, Ekeby parish [yearly maintenance] 16
1857 June 10 Granted award of 2½ Silf.Sp (a silverspecie seems to equal four riksdaler)
1860 July 11  Ditto  ditto of 5 sp.Rd. (specieriksdaler; another word for the silverspecie)

Hope this helps, ask again if anything's unclear!

2009-09-08, 15:37
Svar #5

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Hi Anna-Carin,

Tack så mycket for this wonderful effort! I am very grateful for your translations and help with the two records from the Stockholms Stadsarkiv.  

I do have some questions.

# 1

1864 Juli 25 Bewiljad Belöningsmedalj 6,019. (granted award medal)

I am guessing that Erik Mattsson (foster father of Johan Ulrik Ekman) received that medal. Do you have any idea why? Did he receive a medal for taking care of Johan Ulrik all those years?

# 2

1848 21/3 Kolt. (child's frock, as opposed to swaddling-clothes; but I doubt he'd have been swaddled for nearly two years, so it might mean he was moved to a ward for toddlers, which were called koltbarn (frock children) in Swedish child care well into the 20th century - the word looks like Rolt but that doesn't make any sense to me at all)

This is very interesting and I never would have known about the frock children or the frock. However, Johan Ulrik was living with the foster family at that time, as far as I can tell from the husförhörslängder. Does this record say they took him back into the barnhus? That would be the only way he could be in a ward.

# 3

Were the unwed mothers expected to work as a wet nurse to pay for their care in the pregnancy and childbirth?

Thank you again. I appreciate your help.  

Judy

2009-09-08, 16:42
Svar #6

Utloggad Stefan Simander

• Stefan Simander
  • Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 7191
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-25, 22:16
  • Stefan Simander www.freewebs.com/simander
    • Visa profil
    • www.freewebs.com/simander, Simanderska palatset
About #265 Sp. B. (? might be spalt=column B) is according to the explaination on the site:

No 265 SpB = Löpnummer för årets intagningsrulla för späda barn. (Serial No for that year's admissions roll of infants.)

-----------------------------------------

The word is Kolt.  (not Rolt. which is clear when you look on the other acts before and after this one) It refers to the frock, but could also mean the age of the child = toddler in English. That means that neither he nor the other children were moved from their foster families during that time. They obviously paid less money to the families during that age.  

Wikipedia says: A toddler is a young child who is of the age of learning to walk,[1] between infancy and childhood. Toddling usually begins between age 12 and 24 months.[2] During the toddler stage, the child also learns a great deal about social roles, develops motor skills, and first starts to use language.

Sorry I didn´t help you earlier, but many thanks to Anna-Carin Betzén for doing this so soon.  

(Meddelandet ändrat av simson 2009-09-08 16:48)
Stefan Simander
Gamla Uppsala + Järlåsa, Sweden
www.freewebs.com/simander
076 - 228 94 22

2009-09-08, 20:23
Svar #7

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
Judy,

In another thread, I read about the awards for foster parents by 1909:  
SEK25 to foster parents who, when a orphanage child turns 14, have had it in their care for at least five years, and they've cared for it well in all respects, and raised it such that it promises to become a useful and righteous member of society. An award medal of silver, to be worn on the chest, Luther's book of sermons or the Bible in a luxury binding, to foster parents who, after having given an orphanage child particularly good care, either have adopted it for their heir, or generously endowed it with gifts, or furthered it into a good and prosperous marriage, or in other respects secured its future income.  

The rules might've been different 50+ years earlier when your relative was born. But assuming that the general idea stayed the same, I think the fact that his foster parents were awarded the medal indicates that he was very well taken care of, and presumably loved.

Kolt probably just refers to his age, like Stefan said. His foster parents kept receiving their quarterly payments so he must've stayed with them, and still I'm confused because there are two admittance dates - June 1846 as a suckling, and April 1847 as an orphanage child. Maybe it's just to do with bookkeeping (different accounts for different age children, or something), but then I'm speculating again!

According to the history section of Allmänna barnhuset's site, a mother who wanted to leave her baby to the orphanage either had to pay a fee for its upbringing, or she could leave her baby there for free if she stayed there for eight months, breastfeeding her own baby and wetnursing another one. She also had to help with other work at the orphanage. Seems that she only breastfed him for two months though, as he was left to foster parents already by June.

Stefan,  

Now that you point it out, Sp.B. in #265 Sp. B. meaning spädbarn does seem just right!

(Meddelandet ändrat av acb 2009-09-08 20:27)

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna