ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Help with translation please  (läst 1376 gånger)

2004-11-14, 16:32
läst 1376 gånger

Mary E. Leveille

I have been to the island of Gotland and loved it. What exactly does Gotland translate to. Is it good land or godland?

2004-11-14, 17:37
Svar #1

Utloggad Heikki Särkkä

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2200
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-09-02, 15:00
    • Visa profil
It is the Land of the Goths, ancient Germacic tribe.

2004-11-14, 19:00
Svar #2

Mary E. Leveille

Heikki,

Thank you so much.  Some other relatives of mine come from Öster Gotland, would that be Western land of the Goths?

2004-11-14, 21:44
Svar #3

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-23, 20:10
    • Visa profil
Hi Mary,

Öster or Öst means East and Väster or Väst means West. I hope that Heikki doesn't mind that I answer your question.

Best regards,
Ann

2004-11-15, 08:01
Svar #4

Utloggad Åke Bjurström

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1191
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-25, 10:23
    • Visa profil
Mary

I guess you are looking for Östergötland.
If you look at Swedish map you fing a long lake Vättern in the central, south part of Sweden. West of the lake is Västergötland and east of the lake, Östergötland.

Best regards, Åke

2004-11-15, 09:42
Svar #5

Utloggad Yvonne Carlsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 231
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-04-25, 14:38
    • Visa profil
    • www.snurkan.se
Mary,

Gotland is the largest Swedish island and it is also a province of Sweden. Östergötland and Västergötland is also provinces of Sweden and they are situated on the Swedish mainland. So the question is if your relatives come from Östergötland or the east part of Gotland?

/Yvonne

2004-11-15, 22:07
Svar #6

Mary E. Leveille

Yes I meant Östergötland the second time, I also have ancestors from Gotland.  Does Östergötland mean Eastern land of the Goths?  Thank you all for your help.

2004-11-15, 23:25
Svar #7

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Mary! Östergötland means ' the land of the East Goths' as they are also known.

Ann

2004-11-16, 13:29
Svar #8

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
The southern part of Sweden is known as Götaland (up to a bit south of Stockholm), as the people in the area was called Göte (pl. Göter or Götar) of old. They seem to have lived in the Västergötland area originally, and then spread to Östergötland and some of the surrounding provinces. So I think it's a matter of eastern and western Götaland, rather than East and West Goths.  

The Ostrogoths or East Goths lived in Russia or Ukraine, and the Visigoths or West Goths in Germany or so.

2004-11-16, 16:28
Svar #9

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
I grant that, stricktly speaking Anna-Carin is correct in what she says; but a person who comes from Öster-or Västergötland, especially someone with deep roots in either of these provinces, is known as a 'Östgöte' or 'Västgöte' i.e. 'Eastgoth' or 'Westgoth'.

Here is an extract from a book called  Sweden-Ancient and Modern:

The other principal Swedish tribe, the Goths (Sw.Götar), whose lands lay south of those of the Svear, is first mentioned under the designation Goutoi by the Greek geographer Ptolemy (circa 150 A.D.). These Goths who inhabited what is today Västergötland, Östergötland and the Island of Gotland, emigrated in great numbers, probably as early as the 3rd century B.C., to the estuaries of the Oder and the Vistula.

Ann

2004-11-16, 20:27
Svar #10

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
You're absolutely right, and I could probably have phrased it better than I did.  

The point I tried to get across was that the people probably got their name from the province rather than the other way around, and that when East Goths are mentioned in litterature, it doesn't mean 'Östgötar'. I'll try to be clearer next time!

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna