ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Help with translation  (läst 933 gånger)

2005-03-15, 23:24
läst 933 gånger

Karen Bowling

Could someone please translate the following paragraph.

Flodin, Anders. Komminister. Född 1715-12-09 i Gökhem (R) (F-bok). Döpt 1715-12-11 i Gökhem (R) (F-bok). Död 1786-02-23 i Gökhem (R) (Skara Stifts Herdaminne). Blev stud. i Lund 1738 och prästvigd 1743 till sin fars adjunkt,past.-adjunkt i Timmelhed1757. Vice komminister i Yllestad 1762, komminister i Börstig 1765. Lämnade tjänsten 1779 och flyttade till sin enda dotter i Gökhem. (Skara Stifts Herdaminne)

Gift 1744 (Skara Stifts Herdaminne) med efterföljande ana.

Thank you so much!!
Karen Bowling

2005-03-16, 09:27
Svar #1

Utloggad Bibi Gustafson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 213
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-03-01, 22:30
    • Visa profil
Dear Karen,

It says
Flodin, Anders. Assistant vicar. Born Dec 9, 1715 in Gökhem (R is the letter for Skaraborgs län in Västergötland) F-bok=book with birth records. Baptized Dec 11, 1715 in Gökhem. Died Febr 23, 1786 in Gökhem (Skara Diocese diocesan annals). Became a student in Lund 1738 (at the university) and was ordained in 1743 to his father's curate, curate in Timmelhed 1757. Vice assistant vicar in Yllestad 1762, assistant vicar in Börstig 1765. Left his ministry 1779 and moved to his only daughter in Gökhem. Married in 1744 to the following ancestor.

Karen, Anders Flodin is my husband's mother's mother's father's father's father's mother's father.

Best regards,
Bibi Gustafson

2005-03-16, 15:22
Svar #2

Karen Bowling

Hi Bibi,

Thanks for the translation.  How neat that we share the same ancestors. Anders Flodin's daughter, Hanna, had a son, Lars who is my ancestor.  

Do you have any other information on Anders Flodin or his parents?  Was Anders father also a vicar?

Thanks,
Karen

2005-03-16, 22:57
Svar #3

Utloggad Bibi Gustafson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 213
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-03-01, 22:30
    • Visa profil
Hi Karen,

Lars' older brother, Andreas Jonasson born 1770-11-28 is my husband's ancestor. The information I have on Anders Flodin is the text from the diocesan annals above. His father, Anders Magni Flodin was also an assistant vicar in Gudhem. His mother's name was Brita Lundius. His father's father was Andreas Johan Flodin, born Febr 21, 1654 and died in 1726, also a clergyman. Anders Flodin's wife, Christina Salander's father was also an assistant vicar by the name of Arvidus Salander.  
If you do not have this information, I'll find the paper and translate it tomorrow.

Best regards,
Bibi

2005-03-17, 00:30
Svar #4

Karen Bowling

Wow, you have some much information.  I only knew his mother and fathers name.  I would love any information you have!!

Thanks,
Karen

2005-07-20, 09:00
Svar #5

Jennie Conley

I need help with translation. I will be very thankful for any help.

I gryningen dundrade likvagnarna fram genom gatorna. Hästarna drevs i rask trav av berusade kuskar, på väg till nygrävda massgravar med nattens skörd av lik. Över hela staden hördes skramlet från dessa skräckinjagande foror ofta flera i rad, föregångna av en beriden artilleritrumpetare som blåste smattrande alarmsignaler. Ofta stoppades kortegen av rop från något hus: Vi har lik! Koleran svepte genom Göteborg. Somliga dagar räknades farsotens offer i hundratal och kyrkklockorna klämtade oavbrutet i själaringning. Människor dog som flugor. Snickarna fick inställa andra arbeten och helt ägna sig åt att tillverka enkla likkistor, men trots att livstidsfångarna på Älvsborgs fästning kommenderas till hjälp, måste de snart övergå till att snickra ihop stora packlådor. Dessa kollektiva kistor ställdes på stora rustvagnar som nattetid avpatrullerade gatorna. Nätterna var fruktansvärda med vagnarnas skramlande, likbärarnas bultande på portarna och stanken obeskrivlig i den extrema värmebölja som plågade landet samtidigt med Asiaten. Såväl Sahlgrenska sjukhuset som Garnisonssjukhuset och Fattigbaracken öppnades för kolerasjuka, men inte heller dessa kunde ta emot alla smittade som sökte hjälp.

Den heta sommaren 1834 kom med fasa och död över Sverige. Först den 4 augusti, då farsoten rasade i Göteborg på tionde dygnet, begrep alla att det handlade om den asiatiska koleran. Sjukdomen (Cholera Asiatica) både kom och försvann hastigt, den debuterade i slutet av juli, skördade flest offer under augusti och ebbade ut under september. I början av oktober 1834 förklarade länstyrelsen att Göteborg och dess närmaste omgivningar var smittfria. Sjukdomen kom att skörda närmare en tiondel av stadens invånare.

2005-07-21, 11:18
Svar #6

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-23, 20:10
    • Visa profil
Hi Jennie,  

Here is my translation of the above:

The horsedrawn hearses rumbled through the streets at dawn.
The horses were driven at high speed by drunk coachmen taking the previous nights dead to the newly dug mass graves.

All over the city could be heard the rattle of these dreadful vehicles that often moved in a long line with a trumpeter from the artillery at its head, heralding its progress.
The line of hearses were often stopped by someone in a house calling  We have a corpse!

The cholera swept through Göteborg. Some days the number of victims reached several hundred and the church bells rang constantly for the souls of the dead.

People died like flies. The carpenters had to cancel other work and spend their time making simple coffins; but even though the prisoners serving life at Älvsborgs fortress were ordered to help, the carpenters eventually had to make large packing crates (instead).

These collective coffins were placed on removal wagons that patrolled the streets at night.
The nights were horrendous with the rattling of the wagons, the banging on the doors by those collecting corpses and the terrible stench in the heat wave that Sweden suffered at the time of the Asian (cholera).

The Sahlgren(ska) Hospital as well as the Garrison Hospital and the Poor Barracks were opened to the sick but not even they could cope with all who needed help.

Horror and death was brought to Sweden that hot summer of 1834.

Eventually, on 4th August when the sickness had been raging for 10 days and nights people realised that it was the Asian Cholera.
The sickness ( Cholera Asiatica) disappeared as suddenly as it had appeared; it arrived at the end of July, took most of its victims during August and ebbed away during September.
At the beginning of October 1834, the county council declared Göteborg and the surrounding area to be free of cholera.

The cholera took close to a tenth of the cities inhabitants.

Kind regards,
Ann Little

2005-08-02, 18:07
Svar #7

Jennie Conley

Hi Ann,  

Thank you very much, for your help.

2005-11-11, 23:14
Svar #8

Ishbel Cormack

Please help me with the meaning of this
dotter till befallningsmannen över Hammarskinds,Memmings och Skärkinds, härader, underfogde el.hauptman på Stegeborgs slott, underhäradshövding Lars Olofsson och Helen Johansdotter.

2005-11-12, 00:15
Svar #9

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-23, 20:10
    • Visa profil
Hi Ishbel,

Here is my translation of the above:

Daughter of the County Administrator for the Hammarkind, Memming and Skärkind districts, bailiff* el.** Hauptman at Stegeborgs Castle, District Judge Lars Olofsson and Helen Johansdotter.

* It says 'under bailiff' but as far as I know there is no such title in English. Perhaps we can call him an Assistant Bailiff.

** Does the 'e' in 'el' have a capital 'e'? If so, I think it is part of the persons christian name.

Kind regards,
Ann Little

2005-11-12, 07:35
Svar #10

Ishbel Cormack

Many thanks Ann. The e is a small letter. There should be a period after underhäradshövding. The parents are Lars and Helena.

2005-11-12, 08:57
Svar #11

Bo Johansson

Maybe el. in underfogde el.hauptman is an abreviation for eller=or, so it would be two alternative titles underfogde or hauptman. Notice that hauptman is German for captain.

So I think the text says that someone is the daughter of (lot of titles) Lars olofsson and Helena Johansdotter.

// Bo Johansson

2005-11-12, 11:39
Svar #12

Utloggad Stig-Ove Wisberg

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 867
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-04-06, 07:45
    • Visa profil
    • wisberg.se
Hi Ishbel

This Epitaphium is hanging in Laurenti church in Söderköping, if you send me your e-mailadress I could send you a better photo.

Stig-Ove

2005-11-13, 00:33
Svar #13

Ishbel Cormack

Bo and Stig: I appreciate your help. Thank you.
I am trying to write up my family history and include more than the vital records.

The epitaphium is great.Stig, I will send you my email.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna