ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Fernando in Swedish  (läst 498 gånger)

2005-05-17, 00:45
läst 498 gånger

Scott Booth

Hej, all,

I am attempting to learn Swedish on my own, using a book//cd set I found at Borders and also ABBA (and ABBA-related) music. The neat thing is, it's working! I am learning a lot... more from ABBA than the book//cd set, actually!!! Today I sat down with the song Fernando from Frida Ensam (1975) and attempted a translation. For those of you that have heard this song in English, the Swedish version is entirely different, and in my opinion, much better. Björn Ulvaeus and Benny Andersson were very much underrated as composers.  

My question is this:  in the song, there is a line that reads Ska vi skåla för dom andra? Now, in addition to taking Swedish, I've also taken Koine (2000-year-old Biblical) Greek, and the word for woman in Greek is andra (man is andro). Would the proper translation for this line be Shall we toast (to/for) the woman?  

Anyone who hasn't heard this incredible album: Frida Ensam, I encourage you to get a copy. The music goes from folk to country to ballad to rock...all in Swedish. As a bonus, it is sung by one of the most talented singers in the world.  

I look forward to your replies...

A Swedish Student and ABBA fan,

Scott Booth
Highland Heights, Kentucky USA

2005-05-17, 03:05
Svar #1

Utloggad Yvonne Carlsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 231
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-04-25, 14:38
    • Visa profil
    • www.snurkan.se
Hi Scott,

The swedish word andra has nothing to do with the greek word andra. The proper translation for the line Ska vi skåla för dom andra? is Shall we toast for the others?.

The most commonly used swedish word for woman is kvinna and for man it is as simple as man

/Yvonne Carlsson

2005-05-17, 04:04
Svar #2

Scott Booth

Tack, Yvonne...

Scott

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna