ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Explain position of Nemdemanen  (läst 875 gånger)

2000-06-04, 01:47
läst 875 gånger

Linda Swanson

Please translate the profession of Nemdemanen--if I have spelled it correctly.  I have understood it to mean a Jury Man or Lawman who held great importance within a Parish.  Please explain this position of the 1700 or 1800's.  I am researching Gotland--Vallstena specifically.  Plus I am also working on Hedjeby, Hörsne, and Sjönhem. Thank you for any information that you can give me. Linda

2000-06-04, 02:02
Svar #1

Utloggad Tord Påhlman

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2085
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-11-13, 21:51
    • Visa profil
You understood it correctly. A nämndeman, definite form nämndemannen was, and still is, a jury man. Long time ago they used to be twelve, as in an American jury.

2000-06-04, 10:23
Svar #2

Utloggad Kaj Janzon

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1293
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-01-14, 10:41
    • Visa profil
    • www.medeltiden.st
Hello Linda & Tord

A few remarks: Being a nämndeman was not really a profession but rather a honorary task as well as an obligation. Normally a nämndeman was a farmer (bonde) with a high social status in the local community. He was co-opted by the local court häradstinget and normally he would hold the position of nämndeman for many years.

Often certain farms provided several generations of nämndemän (pl), due to the fact that social status to a large extent was inherited, just as the landed property that was the main source of that status in the old agrarian society.

Finally: nämndemän were not chosen on a parish level but within a härad, which was the smallest judicial entity. The jurisdiction of a häradsting normally covered at least 3-4 parishes, but sometimes more than 10, which I believe was the case in Gotland. Thus some parishes could have several nämndemän while others had none.

Regards
Kaj Janzon

2000-06-04, 18:12
Svar #3

Utloggad Sven-Ove Brattström

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3276
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-09, 14:25
  • Bilden är gammal, mera rynkor nu :)
    • Visa profil
Hi!
There is also one important distinction from the American jury system, the Nämndeman takes an active part in the judgement. It is not restricted to a guilty - not guilty. I write takes, because the system with Nämndemän still exists here in Sweden. Nowadays it is a political assignment, that is - you have to be an active member of a political party to qualify for the mission. The system with Nämndemän has existed for more than a thousand years here in Sweden, and is seen as a garantee for the individuals rights in court.
Regards     Sven-Ove
Brattis (före 2004 Linewizard) = Sven-Ove Brattström

2000-06-04, 23:08
Svar #4

Utloggad Kurt Hultgren

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 246
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-03-21, 22:57
    • Visa profil
    • www.stationsradet.se
The nämndemän are actually considered judges, since they really form a part of the judging committee, although laymen. The president of the court is a professionally educated judge. It happens, although rarely, that the laymen vote majority against the president of the court in writing the sentence. Nowadays the nämndemän are three (or seldom five) in the court. Previously the oldest of the nämndemän had the title of häradsdomare, which was an extra honour. He was still a nämndeman, but the expression comprises the word -domare which means judge.

2003-08-22, 02:53
Svar #5

Erika English

Another important distinction is that a nämdeman (or layman judge if you want) har this duty for a certain period of time.. not for just one court case.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna