ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Cause of death translation assistance  (läst 509 gånger)

2004-05-19, 08:42
läst 509 gånger

Betsy Morgan

I was wondering if someone could assist me in translating a cause of death.  Below is the image of the death record.  I can make out Begrafven i . . . and am not sure of the rest.  Nor have I had any luck with the writing in the next column.  

Thank you for your help,

Betsy

2004-05-19, 08:58
Svar #1

Betsy Morgan

2004-05-19, 09:08
Svar #2

Betsy Morgan

My apologies - I can't seem to attach the image correctly.  

Beside the individual's name it reads Begrafven i . . . then what looks like it could be lystket, tystket, or even tysttet.  The part in the actual cause of death column looks like it might read Skerit halfine/pig.  

I know it is hard to try to figure out what it says without seeing the actual text and can email the image to anyone who thinks they could help.  

Betsy

2004-05-19, 09:41
Svar #3

Betsy Morgan

Additionally, here is Genline information about the death record:

Värmlands län, Frykerud Parish Deaths (1814-1861), Genline ID: 480.52.100100, entry for Britta Nilsdotter at Lene, died 17 November 1828.

Thanks,

Betsy

2004-05-19, 10:26
Svar #4

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Without looking at the picture it seems that the woman was buried in tysthet, which means that she was buried quietly without ceremonies. This is explained by the way she died skurit halsen af sig, which means that she committed suicide by cutting her own throat.  

Suicide was a crime in the old days, and the person was supposedly buried in the forest, unless the local court gave permission for her to be buried in the cemetery quietly, as she might have been judged to of unsound mind, and not quite responsible for her deed. Suicides were often buried north of the church, which was not the honorable side.

2004-05-19, 11:27
Svar #5

Betsy Morgan

Elisabeth,

Of course you are absolutely right.  I had incorrectly guessed halsen af was halfine/ - the slash mark now clearly being the f in af.  How sad about how the woman died.  Thank you for the additional information about suicide in Sweden and how it was treated by the church and within a community.  

Many Thanks,

Betsy

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna