ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Were out of wedlock births encouraged in the 1840's in Sweden ?.  (läst 1298 gånger)

2002-02-21, 04:11
läst 1298 gånger

scott

I was told by my Uncle that  out of wedlock births  
were encouraged in the 1840's by the Church and  
State because of Sweden's diminished male  
population as the result of earlier wars.  

Is this true?  
There is no record of a spouse for my  
G G Grandmother who had 3 children in the  
Norrtalje Parish, 1837,1838 & 1842. She kept her  
maiden name,  Anna Catharina Hedberg.

2002-02-21, 11:01
Svar #1

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
That is not true, it was still considered a criminal offense to have a baby out of wedlock, and the mother had to pay a fine, as well as the father, if he could be found.

2002-02-21, 19:43
Svar #2

Utloggad Kristina Gunnarsdotter

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6194
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-21, 11:59
    • Visa profil
It should be added that her surname does?t tell if she was married or not. It was not common at that time for married woman to take their husbands' name. That silly habit started more or less about 100 years ago, and is hopefully soon coming to an end.

2002-02-21, 22:42
Svar #3

Utloggad Tord Påhlman

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2085
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-11-13, 21:51
    • Visa profil
Regarding names it could also be added that today the silly habit has in a way come to an end in Sweden. Upon marriage you can choose whether you like to keep your own surname or both spouses can take the surname of either spouse. However, still most married couples in Sweden have the same surname, usually the name of the husband. I think it is up to each person to decide whether this is silly or not.

2002-02-22, 19:15
Svar #4

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Today you can chose, but I am sure that the woman did not have this choice hundred years ago. And often here in Anbytarforum, you can see how people of today force wrong surnames, according to newer traditions, on woman from older times.  

And this is maybe not silly - it is insulting.

2002-02-23, 13:12
Svar #5

Aino Nyman

Please, Kristina, don't start any war here. Silly habits is often a matter of opinion. You may think that you are very independent choosing your own patronymic, but then..... Why didn't you choose a metronymic???!!! Isn't THAT kind of silly?

2002-02-28, 18:35
Svar #6

Ron Holmquist

Hi folks,

My great grandfather was an illegitimate child born outside of wedlock in 1884. I suspect that his father may also be the father of another child born out of wedlock, in the same year.

Could someone please help me find the father of these two people:

Sven Fajersson/Jönsson b Jan 4, 1864 in Rinkaby, Kristianstad, Skåne, Sweden. His mother was Kerstina Fajersdotter b May 22, 1836 in Rinkaby. Kerstina later married a fellow by the name of Svensson, who WAS NOT Sven's father.  

Bertha Fajersdotter/Jönsdotter b Jan 1, 1864 in Rinkaby, Kristianstad, Skåne, Sweden. Her mother was Sissa Fajersdotter, b Jan 12, 1842 in Rinkaby. Sissa later married a fellow named Johannson, who WAS NOT Bertha's father.

Yes, Kerstina and Sissa were sisters!

Any help with this matter is very much appreciated!!

Best regards,
Ron

2002-03-01, 16:42
Svar #7

Jorunn Liindzn

It is curious that while it is believed that out of wedlock births were not accepted, it was fairly prevalent.  My GGrandmother had 3 children out of wedlock with the same man.  That man was a Captain in the Home Guard.  The first child was born in 1891 and the third in 1901, indicating the relationship spanned at least 11 years.  Two of my GGrandmother's sisters were famous actresses in Stockholm at this time.  I cannot see how these events could take place in parallel if out of wedlock births were viewed so dimly.  Can anyone expain this or shed some light on it for me?

Best regards,
Jorunn

2002-03-06, 21:05
Svar #8

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Aino! The aim of my contribution to this discussion is not to start a war, but to show the  misunderstandings that might occur when people change their names, and above all when people take it for granted that every married woman in all countries and in all times have changed their name when they got married.  

Habits very often have their origin in circumstances we would not accept today. Women  earlier did not have the right to vote, to command their own belongings or to choose their husband. They did not even have a choice regarding their married name. In many respects they were treated like children.  

You asked me why I did not choose a metronymic. Children are usually incapable of choosing their own names, and I received my name as a child, by my parents. Unfortunately I can no longer ask my parents why they did not give me a metronymic. If they had, my name would have been Ingridsdotter and that sounds nice.  

Today as a grown up I have the freedom to chose another name if I want, in connection with marriage or not. But I see no point in it, as I am quite satisfied with my name. (And I definitely cannot see the point in introducing my husband every time I present myself, like i.e. Mrs Karlsson Svensson does. And in USA still many women are completely hidden under their men's names, like Mrs Robert Smith. In Talibancountry they are hidden under burquas. And to make people invisible is a subtle way of (do I dare to say it?) oppression.)

2002-04-15, 20:17
Svar #9

Utloggad Charles LaVine

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 216
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-11-16, 16:53
    • Visa profil
Kristina et al: Unless I am wrong and in such case
please correct me, under the Swedish patronymic
system - at least in the rural and so-called
peasant classes (all of my Swedish ancestors), a
wife did not adopt her husband's surname but kept
her maiden name. Yes, she may be identified as the
daughter of her father rather than the daughter of
her mother but through out her life she was always
dotter - until she and her husband emigrated to
America.

Consitancy can have social merit.

Charles LaVine

2002-08-19, 17:57
Svar #10

Lori Sekera

It's good to know my family is not unique with 'illegitimate children'!  In the 1890 Varmland census, my great grandmother and great-great uncle are listed as the illegitimate children of Maria Nilsdotter.  Would this illegitimacy have stigmatized them?  Could it have prompted their emigration to America?

Also, is there any possible logic of name changes upon arrival in America?

My g-grandfather emigrated as Nils Eriksson, my great grandmother as Kristina Larsdotter.  They married and became Berglunds!

Kristina's brother emigrated as Nils Nilsson, then changed his name to Osberg upon arrival here, actually naturalizing as Nels August Nelson Osberg.

Why would they do this?  Eriksson and Nilsson are not uncommon names here.

Thanks for any insight!
Lori

2002-08-19, 21:49
Svar #11

Utloggad Carl-Fredrik Hanzon

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1959
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-08-09, 16:27
    • Visa profil
In Sweden names like Eriksson and Nilsson are wery common; some people mean that they are even too common to have any individualizing funktion. They are almost like Smith, Jones and Brown (but even more common!) in the english-speaking countries.

Of that reason a lot of people (even the ones that stayed home in Sweden), changed their namnes during the end of the 19th and the 20th centuries. That is a process still going on in Sweden. So, it is not surprising att all, that many people, who changes their lives totally by emigrating to North America, never to turn back, even changed their names at the same time.  

There was also a social aspect: In Sweden, most people with influens, power and welsh; like the priest, the taxman, the sheriff and of course the landlord, had names ending with -ström, -berg, -gren, -lund etc., etc. Those names estabished a popular pattern, which many name-changers followed.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna