ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Swedish emigration to schleswig 1860's  (läst 1334 gånger)

1999-04-16, 23:10
läst 1334 gånger

Jerry Lundgren

In tracing our ancestors from Skåne we have heard that some of them and quite a few other Swedes and Norwegians emigrated to Schleswig-Holstein in the mid and latter part of the 1860's.  I can't figure out why Swedes would enigrate to that troubled part of Europe.  Anyone have any ideas?

1999-04-17, 12:50
Svar #1

Utloggad Maj-Britt Sundin

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 965
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-25, 16:19
    • Visa profil
    • www.jamshog.net
Jerry,
I don´t understand why you have this discussion in english; it would be more suitable in danish or german, don´t you think?
Anyway, in the year of 1867,1868 and further more in 1869 the weather in the south of Sweden was terribly bad for farming. Many children and old people died more or less from hunger. That's why so many able people left to the nearest place where they could find work.

1999-04-17, 16:46
Svar #2

Utloggad Lena A Löfström

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 964
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-11-01, 10:39
    • Visa profil
Maybe Jerry doesn't speak/write Danish or German! It's not nice telling someone off like that. But maybe you know him well enough to know his skills when it comes to languages?  
Regards Lena A L

1999-04-17, 22:13
Svar #3

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
It was common that poor people from southern Sweden emigrated to northern Germany, as this was much cheaper travel than to the US, and also sometimes they even got the travel paid for. German landowners recruited people in Sweden, also Danish landowners did this.  
Northern Germany was called poor man's America.
Many girls went out there to do farm work, and several came home pregnant, which is why resa till Tyskland (travel to Germany) is a euphemism for expecting a baby, this might not be much in use these days, but 100 years ago it was quite common.
The emigration to northern Germany has not been much observed by emigration scholars, and I not sure if there are any books in English about it, but there are some in German, published by the University of Kiel.

1999-04-18, 11:57
Svar #4

Utloggad Åke Myrenäs

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 322
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-01-28, 20:02
    • Visa profil
    • akeshemsidanr10.se
Sorry. I write a message to you in swedish which the editor took away. I have seen your name in different discussions. I don't think we have some persons or places together. And this is not about emigration to German either but if you look on my homepage there is some about emigration to USA. If you are interested please look on my homepage which can be found in altavista and under Enhörna hembygdsförening. Åke Myrenäs

1999-04-19, 10:37
Svar #5

Utloggad Maj-Britt Sundin

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 965
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-25, 16:19
    • Visa profil
    • www.jamshog.net
Jerry,
I'm so sorry. It didn't occur to me that you could be anything but swedish. Please accept my appology.
Maj-Britt

1999-10-28, 21:12
Svar #6

Vera Rendohl

I'm from Brazil and looking for relatives from Sweden. I've already found nephew's of my husband's great grandfather, and still alive!
Now I want to understand why so many swedishes emigrated, specially to a place so different and far away like Brazil.
My husband's great grandfather came to Brazil from Kosta, between 1900 and 1906.
I've found the following text at  http://www.emmaboda.se/SIDOR/RAM/Tur.htm and I would like to know what it means (I don't understand swedish).

Emigrationsepoken
Under åren 1846-1930 emigrerade nära 1,3 miljoner svenskar över haven. Var femte som utvandrade kom från Småland. Inget annat svenskt landskap har betytt mer för Amerika. Utvandringen blev en del av vardagen i Ljuder, Algutsboda, Älmeboda och Långasjö

Where can I find some history of Sweden, from that period, in English?

1999-11-04, 17:39
Svar #7

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Hi Vera, if you try the following link you will a lot of information about the emigration from Sweden during the 1880s. The link is: http://www.americanwest.com/swedemigr/

1999-11-04, 17:44
Svar #8

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se

2000-02-27, 23:04
Svar #9

Olson

My husband's great grandfather Peter Olson emigrated to the USA in 1865.  He had a brother by the name of Anders who lived in Helsingborg with his wife Hilma and a son Albert.  They corresponded by letter thru 1910.  I would like to find out about this family.  Were there other siblings, who were their parents.

2000-02-27, 23:06
Svar #10

Linda Hendricks

My husband's great grandfather Peter Olson emigrated to the USA in 1865.  He had a brother by the name of Anders who lived in Helsingborg with his wife Hilma and a son Albert.  They corresponded by letter thru 1910.  I would like to find out about this family.  Were there other siblings, who were their parents.

2001-01-27, 17:22
Svar #11

D. Glantz Hanna

Our family history says that my Swedish relative emmigrated to Germany first and then the USA..Meriden, Ct. finally, sometime between 1850-1860. He was supposed to have come from Udevalla, in Norrland..not southern Sweden.  Could he have been part of this wave?

2001-01-28, 17:01
Svar #12

Utloggad Deb Hanna

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 27
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-01-24, 16:54
    • Visa profil
My great grandfather's name was Peter Glantz and I'm not sure where he went in Germany, except that he left from Hamburg, Germany, for America, we think.  Can anyone give me some insights into Swedish life in probably Uddevalla in Alvsbyn municipality, Norrbotten county in the early to mid 1800s?

2017-11-15, 15:29
Svar #13

Utloggad Deb Hanna

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 27
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-01-24, 16:54
    • Visa profil
found him....he came from Matfors and Langby...and on the SS Main, went through Bremen to Southampton, to NYC in 1880...no Schleswig

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna