ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Riksdag - government positions  (läst 939 gånger)

2002-05-17, 06:23
läst 939 gånger

Erica Kylander-Clark

Several of my ancestors were in the Riksdag. What records, if any, are there to verify their participation besides the Household Clerical Surveys?

Also an ancestor was a Customs Officer in the late 1700s/early 1800s: what would his duties have been?

Thank you

2002-05-17, 23:18
Svar #1

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Members of the Riksdag that belonged to the Farmer's Estate (bondeståndet) are listed in two books by Ludvig Mårtensson, that were printed in the 1930s. A search on www.libris.kb.se will probably bring out the right book titles.

2002-05-17, 23:20
Svar #2

Utloggad Carl-Johan Ivarsson

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 807
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-23, 18:39
    • Visa profil
There is a number of interesting records and sources regarding the riksdagsmen. A lot of records is also printed and available at larger libraries in Sweden. All records from the bondestånd (peasant house) has been published in print, and the records for the clergy and the burgesses is partly published and more is to come.
There has also been biographical dictionaries published for members of the riksdag from 1867 and onwards. Biographies for members of the riksdag before 1867 is currently gathered, and might be published.  

A customs officer would probably do about the same as they do today, but checking drugs and other banned goods would probably not be a major task though. We used to have domestic customs as well in those days.

2007-05-07, 00:20
Svar #3

Ishbel Cormack

I understand that in the early 1600s that the Riksdag was made up of 4 estates. These were the clergy,the nobles,the burgers,and the peasants.

How were the Riksdag estate members chosen? Were there certain qualifications individuals had to have to be in the Riksdag during the 1600s? Did the Riksdag meet regularily during that time?

2007-05-07, 03:53
Svar #4

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
The Riksdag goes back to the Meetings of the Realm (Riksmöten) that started already in the early 15th century; traditionally Arboga möte (meeting at the town of Arboga) in 1435 has been regarded as the very first truly representative Riksmöte, but modern research is now doubting this.
During the 16th century the Riksdag slowly became more formalized, culminating in laws of l617 and 1634 that regulated the four estates and what authority the Riksdag had. The farmers (I wouldn't say the peasants; we're not talking about people just making a living, we're talking about well-to-do farmers, owning their land) were not regarded as the equals of the other estates since they had no access to the secret committee (sekreta utskottet), where policies were really set, until 1809.

This Riksdag made up of the four estates lasted until 1866 when it was replaced by the Riksdag of two chambers (kammare) or houses. The members of the first chamber (upper house, senate) were elected by electors, while the members of the second chamber were elected directly by the people. To qualify for the first chamber you had to be quite wealthy.

In 1970 the the Riksdag of two chambers was replaced by the present Riksdag, which has only the one chamber, and where all 349 members are elected in direct elections.

How were the members of the estates elected then? Well, this was regulated in law.
The Nobility sent the heads of the different families.
The Clergy had to send all the Bishops (13) and the Vicar of Storkyrkan (main church in Stockholm), as well as representatives for vicars and curates elected among themselves.
The Burghers had to send the Mayors of all towns; the rich merchants of the major cities were also represented by their own elected members, sometimes also craftsmen were represented.
The Farmers had to send one farmer from every härad, judicial district. These representatives were not your average farmer or crofter; these were men already in a position of authority (e.g. nämndeman), with large farms.
So, some of the representatives were there because the law said they had to be, and some were there because they had clout. For these last there were no special qualifications demanded by law, but generally speaking poor young men with no connections were not being sent to the Riksdag.

But, it has to be realized that not all members of the estate Riksdag voted in the Riksdag. What happened was that the different estates met separately to discuss the issues, and decided what they thought about them and how they were going to vote. Then one speaker for each estate voted on the issues - a total of four votes were cast in the actual Riksdag.
This explains why there was no set number of representatives, very few formal qualifications and why it didn't matter if the estates did not have the same number of representatives.

Until the early 18th century the Riksdag did not meet regularly, and was - most of the time - a rather weak institution. This was particularly true 1680-1718 was Sweden an absolute monarchy. From 1718 the Riksdag met every three years. In 1772 we again absolute monarchy, a state of affairs that lasted until 1809 when Gustavus IV Adolphus was deposed.

Ingela

2007-05-07, 17:11
Svar #5

Ishbel Cormack

Ingela this is most interesting and I thank you for an excellent answer to my questions.I will use this information in the family history I am writing.
Ishbel

2007-05-07, 17:36
Svar #6

Utloggad John Winblad von Walter

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 250
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-12-01, 22:05
    • Visa profil
Hej Ishbel!

If you email me I can email you back an attached article that contains some more detail on the Four Estates.

John Winblad von Walter
Carver, Minnesota, USA

2007-05-08, 02:12
Svar #7

Ishbel Cormack

John I have emailed you. Thank you.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna