ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Klockare in 17th-18th Centuries  (läst 430 gånger)

2002-03-10, 03:49
läst 430 gånger

Paul Frost

What were the requirements for someone to become a klockare (parish clerk) in the late 17th and early 18th centuries.

My wife has an ancestor, Jonas Andersson, born about 1657.  According to the family, he lived at Klockengar farm, Ödestugu Parish, Västra District, Jönköpings Län, Småland.  

A search has shown there is no Klockengar farm but there is a Klockaregården (klockare=parish clerk and gården=farm).  An Anders lived at that farm and died 24 May 1696.  Early 18th century records show klockare Johan Andersson, wife Ingierd Eriksdotter and son Abraham.  In 1716 Johan Andersson ceased being klockare and the family moved to Hässlebotorp in Ödestugu Parish.  Johan died 4 September 1726 at Hestra torp.

I suspect Jonas Andersson and klockare Johan Andersson were the same person.  Whether they are or not, I am interested in learning more about the klockare in the 17th-18th centuries.

Thanks

Paul

2003-06-07, 13:31
Svar #1

Utloggad Ann Little

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1252
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-23, 20:10
    • Visa profil
Hi Paul,

You have probably already managed to discover what a  Klockare  did, but just in case you have not, I will tell you all I know about that particular occupation. I have myself a Klockare in my family, on my father's mother's side, born 1712 at Vikingstad, Östergötland.

This is what I know; A Klockare was the vicars' righthand man. He had to ring the church bell(s) and assist the vicar during the chuch service. He also had to do the church inventory as well as pass on church mail to the clerk (Klockare) in the next village. From my use of the word 'clerk', you can probably deduce that a Klockare was very much like a 'Parish Clerk' in English.
From the year 1755, a Klockare was expected to do 'blood letting' and from 1805 only Klockare who knew how to vaccinate people, were employed.

According to the Church Law of 1686, he had to be honest, faithful and diligent, book-learned and also be able to sing and write; so that he could teach the village children. Possibly, his teaching skills were not all that good, at least not during the 1700;s!

A good singing voice took priority. That ment that when a parish employed a new Klockare, they were more interested in his ability to sing than anything else!

I hope you will find my information useful.

Kind regards,
Ann Little

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna