ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: A farm in Smaland in the end of the 16 th...  (läst 704 gånger)

2009-03-08, 10:16
läst 704 gånger

Utloggad Heike Carlsson

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 4
  • Senast inloggad: 2009-03-09, 12:57
    • Visa profil
Hello,
how can I imagine such a farm? Maybe a blockhouse with one room, a stable and a barn?  With a roof of...? I´m especiallay talking about Magdegärde (Torsas)and once again surprised how many geneagolists are descendants of Bonde Nilsson- just looked again at Google and found some more... ;-)
Yours,
Heike

2009-03-08, 21:28
Svar #1

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se

It may have looked something like this. The low central part is the actual dwelling, a single room open to the rafters. No windows nor chimney at that time; a hole in the roof served both purposes. Other buildings could have a couple of small holes in the wall to let in some light. The two-storey buildings at either end are unheated, mostly used for storage but perhaps also used as temporary bedrooms in the Summer, for a little more privacy. All built of untreated wood, weathered to a silver grey. The roof coverings could be thatch, sod, or layers of birch bark held in place by trunks of fairly young trees placed side by side.  

A separate storage house may have looked like this (depicted with a sod roof) or this (with roof of birch bark & tree trunks). It would've served a dual use of storage and summer bedroom, like the others.

Stable and swine house would've been built of similar materials, but these types of buildings didn't last very long as the damp and excrement from the animals caused them to start rotting within decades so few exist that are even 200 years old, let alone 400! A single farm could have a number of small hay barns, placed by the meadows where hay was harvested. In winter, hay was transported from the barns to the farm (more easily done when the ground was frozen. Here's a pic of a hay barn.

In Swedish log houses, the logs were hewn for a tight fit and each log was placed on a strip of moss to seal any gaps. Other buildings like barns, stables, etc, were often made from round logs, as they ought to be well ventilated. As far as I know, chinking and daubing weren't used at all.

2009-03-09, 12:57
Svar #2

Utloggad Heike Carlsson

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 4
  • Senast inloggad: 2009-03-09, 12:57
    • Visa profil
Dear Anna,
thank you so much for your interesting and helpful informations. After pausing some years with genealogy I know try to write down our family history. And it´s funny- hardly I started there are new questions around :-)
How old the house may be on that great postcard? And are the modern red-white houses still made as log houses faced with planks?
Yours,
Heike

2009-03-09, 19:43
Svar #3

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
Thanks, I'm glad I could help!  

The house on the postcard is from the 1600s, but represents an even older building tradition. The postcard pic was taken after it was moved to an outdoor museum in 1911. (I found a modern photo of the same house here. The walls look fairly dark; either they've been tarred for protection, or they've been naturally tarred throught hot sunshine on the south wall drawing the sap out to the surface.) Houses of this type were built in parts of southern Sweden (including south Småland where Torsås is), and the type may date back to the 1200s or even earlier.

By 1800, the average farmhouse was still a weathered grey log house with sod roof. In the next 50 years it got panelled, but was still grey. In the 50 years after that, it got painted red and got a tile roof. Around 1900 it got bright white detailing. During the 1900s, framework houses became the norm, so the red and white houses built today have a wood framework filled with insulation and faced with planks (possibly with the exception of Dalarna, where log houses are still built to some extent - though I don't know if they use this technique if they plan to face it with planks anyway).

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna