ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Where is the Stromberg Farm  (läst 1720 gånger)

2006-08-02, 16:27
läst 1720 gånger

Valerie Large

I was wondering where the Stromberg farm would be located please

2006-08-03, 02:52
Svar #1

Bo Johansson

Strömberg is probably not the name of a farm, but a family name. It might have been inspired by a placename containing ström or berg, or it might not.

// Bo Johansson

2006-08-03, 10:39
Svar #2

Utloggad Gerd Forsblad Krig

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 867
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-11-29, 14:45
    • Visa profil
In Ljungarum parish (Jönköping) is a manor called Strömsbergs Herrgård.
Gerd

2006-08-03, 10:47
Svar #3

Utloggad Tord Påhlman

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2085
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-11-13, 21:51
    • Visa profil
Certainly it could be the namne of the farm or the name of the owner of the farm. If it is the name of the farm - not the owner - there are at least forty (40) Strömsbergs gård (Strömsberg?s farm) in Sweden and Finland.

2006-08-03, 11:42
Svar #4

Utloggad Ann-Mari Bäckman

• Fd. laboratorieassistent
  • Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11887
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-07-22, 16:40
    • Visa profil
It can also be Stromberg. Here in Västerbotten, we had a county governor, whose name was Pehr Adam Stromberg, born in 1751 in Knivsta parish, Stockholm and died in 1838 in Nydala, Umeå. The name of the farm came from Nydala in Småland, where the Stromberg family had their manor.

Ann-Mari Bäckman
Ann-Mari Bäckman

2006-08-03, 21:46
Svar #5

Eva Leksell

In Hanebo parish, Gävleborgs län (Hälsingland) there is - or was - a Strömbergs gård.

If you don't have any idea of where in Sweden the farm was situated I think the chances to find it are very small.

2006-08-04, 01:03
Svar #6

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
Valerie has mentioned the name Strömberg in several other discussions:  

Cencus Look up after 1890 Please
Emanuel Larsson Stromberg find relatives help
Trying to find Stromberg Family
Princess Christina of Sweden

2006-08-04, 16:55
Svar #7

Valerie Large

Thank you for your advise the kids where born in Skee, Sweden  

My gr gr grandad was Lars Olsson Stromberg

2006-08-04, 20:03
Svar #8

Utloggad Neta Hedberg

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 437
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-27, 09:02
    • Visa profil
Valerie
I have followed your family in the household exams in Skee parish. In those books there is no sign whatsoever that any member of the family called him-/herself Strömberg. Lars is listed as Lars Olsson and his children with the patronymikon Larsson/Larsdotter.  

Maybe your ancestor changed his surname to Stromberg upon his arrival in the U.S. That was very common.  

Kind regards Neta Hedberg

2006-08-05, 18:41
Svar #9

Valerie Large

Thank you my gran was Stromberg when they came to Scotland and so was her parents some one said they took the name from the farm

2006-08-06, 13:18
Svar #10

Utloggad Neta Hedberg

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 437
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-27, 09:02
    • Visa profil
Valerie, could you please clarify to me - who were your grandmother's parents? Were they Gustaf Larsson Stromberg and his wife (your great gran)? Do you know when they came to Scotland? If I can I will try to help you.

Kind regards Neta Hedberg

2006-08-10, 00:49
Svar #11

Valerie Large

My gr gran was Augusta Gustava Gustavsdotter she married his brother Olaus first and then my gr grandad he was Gustafv Oliver Larsson Stromberg they where on the 1901 cencus in Scotland. His parents where Lars Olsson(Stromberg) and Britta Maria Gabrielsdotter her mother was Anna Ellingsdotter  

My gr uncle Emanuel Larsson Stromberg died in old persons home in Horton  

Any thing you can find would be great thank you very much

2006-08-11, 01:40
Svar #12

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
Valerie

I suppose you have seen the discussion on Rootsweb, some relatives of yours asking the same question. The hypothesis that Strömberg could come from living in Strömstad is very plausible. That is how names often were constructed, and I guess that Strömstad was an extremely small town compared to Glasgow or Edinburgh, so the story of how the name was invented has changed a bit over the years.

I will give you several reasons as to why the name was changed, it a very common thing to do during the 19th century:

Olaus Strömberg was a tailor, presumably that is why he changed his name, living in Strömstad. Craftsmen, when they got their jouneyman?s letter,  did often take new names that were not the usual patronymics. His brother Gustaf Olivier is in apprenticeship with Olaus until 1879, it was only natural that he should take the Strömberg name as well, but he did that after 1879 when he left his apprenticeship and was registered as living in unknown place in the parish. He moved to Fredrikstad, Norway on the 21 sept 1880 and then he decided to take the name Strömberg as well, it is clear from the Strömstad household record AI:18 page 386.

The tailor in Skee was called Strömberg, maybe that is where the idea came from, I have not been able to see if Olaus started his traning with him.

The interesting thing is the house where Olaus and family first live in when they arrive from Norway in 1877. Its previous occupants are also called Strömberg. I have not been able to see if they were any relations,it is certainly not the father anyway. It was not uncommon to take a name that someone else had and that you liked. Soldiers often got the name of the previous occupant of his living quarter. Various names beginning with Ström were very common in Strömstad.

We will never know the real reason for the name change but I think the different ones here are all plausible.

2006-08-11, 01:53
Svar #13

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
PS The farm, if it existed, does not have to be called Strömberg. My own surname is from the farm Bingstorp, you took the first syllable (Bing or Binge a common part of place names in southern Sweden) and then added a second from somewhere else.

2006-08-11, 22:06
Svar #14

Valerie Large

Thank you very much for the information it is really nice of you,  Olaus was my gr gran's first husband and her 2nd was his brother and he became a Shoe maker

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna