ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Where is Hemmett?  (läst 642 gånger)

2004-02-21, 03:28
läst 642 gånger

Utloggad Judy Walburn

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 50
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-06-30, 04:48
    • Visa profil
Does anyone know where this is?  Is it the name of a farm?  I have a postcard that has E. Arvickson, Frän Hemmett on it.  So far, have not been able to locate E. Arvickson's birth place, and wonder if this may be a clue.  Also, do have a picture that is supposedly her and her mother taken at Varberg, so possibly Hemmett may be a place around there.  Immigrated in 1881, but returned sometime around 1890's to visit her mother.  Any information would be appreciated.  Thanks for any clues you might give.

2004-02-21, 08:53
Svar #1

Utloggad Bengt-Göran Nilsson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4765
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-20, 12:23
    • Visa profil
    • goto.glocalnet.net/Kalixius
I think Från Hemmett means that she sent the card from the place there she was born, from home.
And may bee home will bee around Varberg where the picture was taken.

2004-02-21, 13:23
Svar #2

Jan Wallander

The name Arvickson does not sound swedish, I think that the spelling is Arvidson, a rather common swedish name.

Regarding Från hemmett:
home is, in swedish, hem
at home is hemma
the home is hemmet. The spelling hemmett was, in no way, unusual around the 1890s. Från = from.

Best regards
Jan W

2004-02-21, 15:25
Svar #3

Utloggad Judy Walburn

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 50
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-06-30, 04:48
    • Visa profil
Maybe the typed information across the postcard will identify the area:  It has:  Postkarte. - Unione postale universelle.  Post card - Carte postale - Brefkort - Cartolina postale - Dopisnice -  OTKbPITOE HHCbMO - Levelezö Lap. - Briefkaart - Tarjetas Postale. Bilhete Postal Brevkort. Korespondencni Listek.  Any ideas where I should look?

Thanks for your help.

2004-02-21, 15:31
Svar #4

Utloggad Maud Svensson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 21990
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-24, 21:15
    • Visa profil
There were/are some farms/places called Hemmet. In 1890 census they are found in twelve parishes, most of them in Stockholm county and the southern counties.
One of them is in Snöstorp parish, Halland county (where Varberg also is situated):

Home parish: Snöstorp
Residence: Hemmet  
Per Mauritz Persson b. 1854, tannery owner
Anna Charlotta Hagström b. 1863, wife
Thyra Margott b. 1890, daughter

I would guess there were many more dwellings/houses/cottages called Hemmet, though they were not listed as residences in church records or census. Quite often just the (small) village was noted.

The text on the card is just the word postcard in different languages.
Hälsar vänligen
Maud

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna