ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Travel Route-Emigration 1913  (läst 537 gånger)

2000-03-19, 23:38
läst 537 gånger

Donna Corlett

My relatives (Nils, Edla, Gottnar and Gerda) emigrated to Canada from Sweden in 1913. The pension form for my ggm lists their departure date as May 4,1913.  
I had requested a short look up on the CD Emigranten and received response that there was no match to my relatives.  The response noted that should perhaps consider that they may have departed from Norway or Denmark.  
My family was from Västernorrlands Iän (Björna församling). From Gerda's obit, they apparently lived in a small town by the name of Hemling.

My questions are:
HOW would they have travelled to Norway or Denmark at that time (1913)?
WHY would they travel to either place to depart? From the map of Sweden that I have- either place must have been quite a trip in itself considering where they lived.
HOW common a emigration practice would this have been? I assume it would not be commonplace since I understand that the CD Emigranten lists approximately 1.3 million Swedes that emigrated.
WOULD church records list more detailed facts about someone emigrating-or just the date they are to have left?

Can anyone answer any or all of these questions- or offer any insight? I really am not sure what direction to take now.  

There are a few other things that I am aware of. According to Gerda's obit, the emigration trip took the family approximately three weeks-and they landed at Halifax, Canada. Gerda's son however believed that the trip was shorter (perhaps he was only aware of one leg of the total journey?). He also recalled (at some time years ago) hearing the ship name-and believed it was the Corsica/Corsican. I have searched some of the Corsican passenger lists from the Archives of Canada-but with no success to this point.  
Well I really hope that someone can offer me some insight. I would appreciate information and/or suggestions on how to proceed now.

Regards,
Donna Corlett

2000-03-21, 19:21
Svar #1

Kay Engman

Donna,  I think you need to look at the  
Husförhörslängd (clerical survey) and  
Utflyttningslängd (moving out records) for Björna  
parish to see exactly where they went when they  
left the parish.  It is not very expensive to rent  
the microfilm for either record at the Family  
History Center near you.  

There are many different possibilities and no one  
can guess regarding whether they went to visit  
family or friends in another area one last time  
before emigrating, or if they traveled to join up  
with some other traveling companions in another  
area.

2000-03-22, 02:11
Svar #2

Donna Corlett

Kay: Thank you so much for your response and information.  At least I now know that the records of the parish should include more than the single date from the pension form that I had. I live in Toronto, Canada and I am sure that there is a Family History Center here. I will check it out as soon as possible.  

Regards,
Donna Corlett

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna