ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Skaning, Hunderd, Skarborg  (läst 1624 gånger)

2003-02-22, 04:08
läst 1624 gånger

Carol Sawyer

This is the birth place I have for Jonas Nilsson, born 1621.  He married Gertrude Yartzue (Svensdotter), who was born 1636 in Sweden.  They moved to America ?? Any information on the place or them?

2003-02-25, 00:43
Svar #1

Anders Andersson

I believe you are referring to Skåning hundred, which would be a translation of Skånings härad.

A härad (English hundred, French bailliage, Finnish kihlakunta) is the term for a historic judicial district in Sweden. They were established in southern Sweden during the 13th and 14th centuries, and lasted until 1971, when the hundred courts (häradsrätter) were abolished.

Skåning is indeed the name of a härad in Skaraborg county, around the city of Skara.  According to Rosenberg's gazetteer of Sweden in the 1880's, Skånings härad comprises Saleby, Härjevad, Trässberg, Jung, Fyrunga, Öttum, part of Tråvad, Vinköl, Marum, Vånga, Edsvära, Kvänum, Sunnerby, Skallmeja, Gerum, Åsaka, Händene and Härlanda parishes as well as Skara rural parish.  Population around 1880 was 18,200.  The court was situated in Skara.

I have no idea what the name Yartzue refers to.  It doesn't look Swedish to me.  Maybe it's a severely distorted phonetic transliteration?

If these people moved to America, they were supposedly part of the early colonization of New Sweden (Delaware), of which I know next to nothing.

2003-05-31, 20:38
Svar #2

Michael Shoemaker

I have a Matilda/ Othilda Henrietta Hendrickson/ Henrickson, b. 23 ___ 1870 in Shoenig.

I know of no such place. Possibilities are:

Skåne
Skänninge, Östergötlands/ Kalmar
Skeninge, Stockholm
Skånings-Åsaka, Västra Götaland
and now, Skåning hundred

Any help in getting me out of this morass would be appreciated.

2003-05-31, 22:28
Svar #3

Utloggad Carin Olofsson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 5009
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-10, 15:20
    • Visa profil
    • Hembygdshistoria
Hi Michael,

I think I have found your Othilda Henrietta. A search in the Demographic Database for Southern Sweden ( http://www.ddss.nu/engddss/) gave this result:
 http://www.ddss.nu/engddss/svallt.asp?ID=454634.

Here you see that a girl named Otilda Henrietta is born January 23, 1870. The mother was Helena Andersdotter, age 22, and the father was Olof  Henriksson, sadelmakare (saddler) in Mörarp, (in the northwestern part of Skåne).  
Witnesses at the christening: Skräddaren (tailor) Sven Jakobsson och hans hustru (and his wife) Maria in Felestad, Arbetskarl (worker) Henrik Nilsson at Säbyholm och dräng (and farmhand) Anders Persson at Charlottenberg.

You find the location of Mörarp  on this map (to the right of Helsingborg).

Regards
Carin Olofsson

2003-05-31, 23:28
Svar #4

Utloggad Carin Olofsson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • Hembygdshistoria
Hi again,

If this is the right Otilda Henrietta, then she had these siblings:

Oscar Hjalmar,  born April 22, 1872 in Mörarp (mother age 24, father age 27)
Axel Enock,  born December 4, 1884 in Rydebeck, Kvistofta,  dead April 24, 1886 (mother age 37, father age 40, married 17 years)
Esther Bernhardina,  born April 22, 1887 in Rydebeck, Kvistofta (mother age 39, father age 42, married 13 1/4 years - wrong, should be 19 1/4 years)
Dagmar Malvina,  born March 28, 1889 in Rydebeck, Kvistofta (mother age 41, father age 44, married 21 1/4 years)

Dagmar Malvina was the 11th child, but I haven't been able to find the other 6.

2003-05-31, 23:42
Svar #5

Michael Shoemaker

Thanks, Carin

You've done a marvellous job!  I've posted what you gave me at

http://www.pcez.com/~bigshoe/Ince/franzen.html#38

2003-06-01, 10:56
Svar #6

Utloggad Carin Olofsson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • Hembygdshistoria
Hi Michael,

On the map above you also find Säby, close to Landskrona (see No. 16), and if you look at the Witnesses at the christening for Otilda, Oscar and Axel, the name Säbyholm (probably it's the name hidden under the No. 16 ring on the map) is quite frequent. Judging by the names of the persons from Säbyholm, they may be relatives of Olof Henriksson, which may indicate that he came from this place.

Also, there must have been a brother named Albin, since Yngl. (young boy) Albin Henriksson, Rydebeck is one of the witnesses to Axel's christening.

2003-06-01, 12:31
Svar #7

Michael Shoemaker

Thanks, Carin.

In old Dutch records, Jung Mann means a single man, of any age.  Could this also be the meaning of Yngl.?  I would expect that a witness at a christening would be an adult, and therefore Albin Henriksson would more likely be a brother of Olof than of Othilda.  Am I right?

Also, I notice that Johannes Linden, b. 1865, is mentioned in the 1790 Census Index for Malmöhus.  This could very well have been Othilda's husband.  Do you or someone else reading this have access to the Census?

Thanks again for your gracious efforts.

2003-06-01, 12:59
Svar #8

Utloggad Carin Olofsson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • Hembygdshistoria
Yngl. is short for Yngling, which according to my dictionary means young man, not quite fully grown or mature.

However, it was quite common that older siblings were witnesses at the christening of younger brothers and sisters, so it is most likely that Albin was an older brother of Othilda, and not of Olof.

According to the custom way of writing the witnesses in Swedish church records, it is far more likely that it was Hustrun (the wife) Olu Henriksson fr Säbyholm who was a sister of Olof, and that she was Axel's Godmother.

Unfortunately I do not have the 1790 Census Index, but I may be able to find Johannes in the church records if I go to Lund tomorrow - if no-one else have found him in the Census before that. J

2003-06-01, 18:41
Svar #9

Michael Shoemaker

Hustrun Olu Henriksson??

I don't understand... Does Hustrun Olu mean Wife of Olof?  How does that make her his sister?  Or was her name Olu?  His wife, of course, was Helena.
@@
~~~

2003-06-01, 19:02
Svar #10

Utloggad Carin Olofsson

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
    • Hembygdshistoria
Hustru was more of a title for a married woman. It is very common that it says Hustru for the woman who carried the child at the Christning. Sometimes it says who's wife she was as well. In this case it doesn't. Therefore it is difficult to know if she was Olof's sister or Olof's sister-in-law. Since it is in the late 19th century, she could have used her husband's name or she could have kept her own name.

Since I am going to the archives in Lund tomorrow, I'll try to find out more. However, I cannot promise that, because there are a few things in my own research that I need to check out first.

2003-06-02, 06:52
Svar #11

Michael Shoemaker

2003-06-02, 07:14
Svar #12

Utloggad Eva Dahlberg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 4039
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-12, 18:31
    • Visa profil
Hej Michael, Olu is a given name (first name), and a female name, most common in southern Sweden.

Regards,
Eva

2003-06-08, 14:45
Svar #13

Michael Shoemaker

Thanks, Eva -- Carin straightened it all out for me.  I've posted the line at

http://www.pcez.com/~bigshoe/Ince/franzen.html

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna