ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Senecula??  (läst 1151 gånger)

2006-06-01, 12:39
läst 1151 gånger

AJ

Where is Senecula?  I probably don't have the correct spelling.  I believe it is a lake, not a town.

2006-06-01, 16:54
Svar #1

Utloggad Sam Blixt

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6336
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-04-23, 20:37
    • Visa profil
    • samblixt.se
Hi,

I think You mean Sevekulla, a village in Onsala parish, one mile southwest from Kungsbacka, in the county Halland.

Do You know the parish Onsala?

Regards  

Sam

2006-06-02, 08:37
Svar #2

Utloggad Lars Skillius

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 777
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-16, 12:53
    • Visa profil
Or perhaps Sävekulla, a village (situated a mile or two from a small lake) in Älvsered parish, Halland county.

(In swedish the pronunciation of the letters e and ä is quite similar. This sound used to be spellt e, but nowadays often ä.

Written by hand the letter v could easily have been confused with the letter n.]

2006-06-02, 18:02
Svar #3

AJ

I am not very familiar with Swedish geography at all.  That name came from my father's notes.  He wrote down a lot of what my granddad told him about his trip to Sweden before he died. (He was born here in the US.)  He understood it to be something other than a village name.

2006-06-02, 22:26
Svar #4

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 674
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-01-29, 22:10
    • Visa profil
AJ,
there is a nature reserve called Sonekulla, which I suppose could be pronounced Senecula, or how should I express myself. Anyhow it is on the southeast coast of Sweden near the town Ronneby in the province of Blekinge. It is situated around the outlet of the Bräkne River and has reeds, maritime pastures with grazing animals. There is also a rich flora with orchids. There are wooded areas too and meadows and rocky parts. If those were things your grandfather was interested in it might be the place. Just a guess.

Karin

2006-06-03, 02:55
Svar #5

AJ

Thank you much.  I'll check with my father to see if that sounds right to him.

2006-06-03, 09:12
Svar #6

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
AJ,
I looked at your postings about Jonas Edlund. He apparently came from Ör in Dalsland. Is he connected with this posting about Senecula? I came to think about a place here in Dalsland, just north of Mellerud, called Svankila. It is situated  on an inlet of Lake Vänern that is a part of Dalslands Canal.(The inlet is a part of the canal, not Lake Vänern) The canal was very important for the industries, mostly ironworks.  
The inlet and canal is called Svanfjorden where it passes Svankila.
The canal was completed in 1868. A lot of people in the area worked there - maybe your family?

This is just another long shot. I live in Dalsland and have a summer cottage in Svankila, just on the lake. (And Svankila could be Senecula if pronounced sloppily)
Karin

2006-06-03, 20:50
Svar #7

AJ

I am not sure if the Senecula reference is to the Edlund family, or the Gust Levin family I am also researching.  Gust and Kristina (Edlund) Levin were my great-grandparents.

2006-06-04, 08:07
Svar #8

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
AJ,
This Senecula thing sort of haunts me. Out of the blue the name Kinnekulle popped up. It is a sort of hill or mountain that can be seen from afar. It is on the east side of Lake Vänern and when the weather is right we can see it from high points in Dalsland. They could have been somewhere high and looked across Lake Vänern and then noted that today they could see Kinnekulle.  

The pronunciation would not be far from Senecula. The first K is pronounced somewhat as the sh in she and the other k is as a c in the English can. Could be???

Now I do not have any data bases this weekend and a couple of more days. The name Levin is not uncommon here in Dalsland (nor in any part of the country maybe). Interesting to see what that shows about geography.

Karin

2006-06-04, 14:17
Svar #9

AJ

That's it, Karin!!  My Aunt visited last night and confirmed that it is associated with the Levins.  She didn't think the spelling that I had looked right, either.  __  AJ

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna