ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Seaports of sweden  (läst 988 gånger)

2000-03-10, 23:43
läst 988 gånger

derek ward

I am trying to trace a merchant seaman who married in Scotland in 1909. We do not know from what part of Sweden he came from originally. What would be the most common ports that operated ships to and from Glasgow during the early 1900s. His name is Gustaf Liljedal, not a common name, so I thought I would write to a selection from some of the most common ports operating ships to England

2000-03-11, 01:25
Svar #1

Utloggad Tord Påhlman

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2085
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-11-13, 21:51
    • Visa profil
The most common port operating ships to England was Gothenburg - i e Göteborg in Swedish.

2000-04-26, 04:27
Svar #2

Donna Corlett

Hi...and help!!  I would be very interested to learn what ports existed in Västernorrland Iän (and perhaps even outside Västernorrland Iän but accessible by it's inhabitants for emigration purposes) in the early 1900's.  
I am interested in specific port names...if this info is available (readily I hope!).  I am already aware of the main ports covered by the CD Emigranten...but I also understand that many smaller ports that were used are not covered by this CD...and that is where my interest lies.  My relatives apparently did not use any of the main ports noted on the CD Emigranten.  I have hit a dead end trying to search for other names of ports...and yet there must be info/records etc.-right?!!

Can anyone help with this...or point me in the direction of where I could find historical port information?   I would be very grateful.
Best regards,
Donna

2000-04-28, 20:15
Svar #3

Utloggad Jörgen Tollesson

• Arkivguiden (www.arkivguiden.net)
  • Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 6871
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-29, 15:50
  • Bild: Båhusläns flagga
    • Visa profil
    • Arkivguiden med Arkivguidens Forum, Båhus Arkivguide och Göteborgs Arkivguide
The ports of Västernorrland are Sundsvall, Härnösand and Örnsköldsvik. The nearest ports outside Västernorrland are Hudiksvall i Gävleborg´s län and Umeå in Västerbotten´s län. Another possible port is Trondheim (formerly Trondhjem) in Norway.
Kontakt: http://www.arkivguiden.net/jts.shtml. | Ser gamla inlägg (före april 2016) underliga ut? Argumenterar jag mot mig själv? Saknas något i inläggen? Finns där något som inte borde vara där? Läs då om orsaken här: http://forum.arkivguiden.net/agf/disk/42626/62869.shtml#post16472.

2000-04-30, 00:32
Svar #4

Donna Corlett

Jörgen: Hi!  Thanks for your message and information.  
My ancestors lived in Hemling and Björna (Björna parish).  A check on the Swedish gazetteer showed that Hemling and Björna are both found in the municipality of Örnsköldsvik, Västernorrland county...so perhaps this port would be the most likely place for them to have departed from.  Of course, the other two are possibilities as well...and at this point I simply don't know!  

The three ports of Västernorrland you've mentioned...are these also the actual names for the ports -or just the cities(towns) where they are located?  
When was it that the practise of using booking agents started?  I believe it was prior to 1913-but am not sure.  Do you know?  If they were in use at the time my ancestors emigrated...would they have maintained their records?  Did booking agents turn their records in for archivial purposes?  When did the use of booking agents cease...or has it?!

Is there a way for me to search/retrieve information from these ports...or from booking agents records of the era?
The parish records will list the date of departure for the family (correct?!) but would the parish records also note details about the ship, actual departure date etc.?? (like the CD Emigranten) I assume the Emigranten CD was compiled through collection of records from the ports it covers-right?!

Very interested...and looking forward learning more!

Your truly,
Donna

2000-04-30, 02:16
Svar #5

SAven-Ove Brattström

Donna!
There where a lot of shippingports along the Swedish coast. A lot of industries working with wood where located near the coast, and they had somekind of a harbour nearby. However, these often small ports most often did not have any traffic destinated directly for the USA. But passengers could get to Göteborg, England, Germany, France etcetera and there find ships destinated for USA. So if you don´t find persons registred as travelled from the large ports, don´t give up.
Regards
Sven-Ove Brattström

2000-04-30, 20:41
Svar #6

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Donna, the church records only give the information on when a family left a parish. They do not give the name of ships or destination.

Up to about 1915 Sweden did not have any direct ships for the US. Some 80-85% of the officially known emigrants went from the port of Göteborg, and the CD Emigranten consists of the lists that were made in the Police Chamber (Poliskammaren) of the major emigration ports of Göteborg, Malmö, Stockholm, and also some emigrants for a few years from the port of Kalmar.  

The reason the Police Chamber lists exists is due to legislation from 1868, which went into effect in 1869, that every emigrant had to go to the police in the embarkation port and show his ticket, and verify that it really was a ticket. There had been a number of scams earlier, when emigrants had been sold worthless tickets, which they did not know until they came to the port city.

From Göteborg the emigrants went on a small steamer for England, crossed England by rail and got on the big steamer in Liverpool. Swedish records only gives the name of the first steamer.

For people from Norrland Göteborg is very far off, so they might well have travelled by some Norwegian port, like Trondheim or Bergen, and the some of the Norwegian Passenger lists are available on the Net.

Very few of the archives of the ticketing agents have survived, the biggest is the Bröderna Larsson, which contains thousands of letters from prospective emigrants. The index to that archive is supposed to be published on the next version of the Emigranten. It has also been microfilmed, and is available through the Mormons.

2000-09-11, 13:14
Svar #7

gail

I have been searching for great grandfather Carl Oscar Gustav Thoresson.  I don't know which parish he came from and I don't know his date of birth.  I thought I could trace his emigration from Sweden to South Africa in 1877. I thought there were only two ports but now see that he could have left via a number of ports!  How do I proceed to find out from all the ports whether his name is on a ships passenger list?   Is this an impossible task?

2002-07-23, 05:25
Svar #8

debra long

Would anyone be able to tell me how to find ships records? Example- the schooner Courier sailing from Gefle(spelling?),Sweden destined to Marseilles, France in 1840 with Capt. Lundgren.
Thank you.

2002-07-23, 23:58
Svar #9

Utloggad Kurt Hultgren

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 246
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-03-21, 22:57
    • Visa profil
    • www.stationsradet.se
Dear Debra, Information about ships and their enlisted seamen can be found in the Sjömanshuset (seamens' house) register in the harbour city where the ship is registered or where the seamen were registered. I suppose your question is about the ship Courieren that had its home port in Gefle (nowadays spelt Gävle). The archive of the Sjömanshus Gefle is now in the regional archives (Landsarkivet) in Härnösand. Not all trips of ships are registered there, but some information might be interesting. If it is really about this ship you want to know more I might be able to give you some clues. It might be the same ship Couriren of Gefle that two decades later had a captain Engelbert Andersson who was my grandfathers uncle. I don't know anything about the trip to Marseille though.
Best regards!
Kurt Hultgren

2004-04-29, 08:21
Svar #10

Ian Ith

Have combed Ellis Island, Ancestry.com, and the web looking for  
some inkling of my Swedish roots but it is a mystery! Saw that  
some people can lookup through an Emigration database and  
dying for help:

My gg grandmother was Matilda or Mathilda Anderson or maybe  
Andersson, abt 1857-1927, from Sweden. Married to a ship  
captain, possibly named Pere Anderson. Had several children in  
Sweden, unknown locale. Between abt late 1894-early 1896 she  
left all but one, an infant Carl F. Anderson (b. abt Feb 1894) and  
took him to American looking for her lost husband. Never found  
him. Died broken and bitter in remote Eastern Washington State.  
Carl F. died 1946 in Washington state. She also had another son  
in America, James B. Chamberlin, my great grandfather, illegit.  
by a different father, abt 1897. He died utah 1943.

Have been unable to find any record of her anywhere except her  
headstone. No immigration, no nothing. Our family assumes her  
children who remained in Sweden prospered and procreated,  
giving us a lost branch of the tree. Any advice or help  
appreciated. Have one very old photo of her.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna