ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Need help with parish name/Värmland?  (läst 877 gånger)

2001-07-17, 04:39
läst 877 gånger

Stephanie

I need help figuring out a parish name.  In the husförhörlangd for By parish, Värmland... parents were listed for an individual.  The father was born in By parish and the mother was born some place that looks like No. Ska?e?  I have not been able to figure out where this is.  The handwriting is small and hard to read in places.  The son lived in Huggenäs parish at some point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephanie

2001-07-17, 10:36
Svar #1

Utloggad Agneta Rung

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 94
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-18, 16:39
    • Visa profil
Hi Stephanie,
According to the CD Svenska ortnamn 1999 (Swedish place names 1999) there is a farm called Norra Skane, which I think could be situated in By parish. Norra, as you might know, means Northern and could well be abbreviated No. That would mean that she was born in By parish and more specifically in Norra Skane. This is just a wild guess since I'm not that familiar with the geography of By parish...
Regards
Agneta Rung

2001-07-18, 03:50
Svar #2

Stephanie

Hej Agneta!

I think you may be right!  I was so excited by finding the names that I did not calmly examine the rest of the page to see that the parish and village or farm were listed next to parents names.  I was thinking that it was the parish for each parent.  So as I look at it, it must be where their son was born.  That makes sense with the rest of the page.

You wouldn't happen to know where the farm would be located, would you?... or where I might look to find it?

Tack så mycket for the help!

Regards,
Stephanie

2001-07-18, 04:11
Svar #3

Chris Troy

Stephanie, Have a look at the Lantmäteriet map site:

http://www.lantmateriet.com/ksindex.htm

Put in the search criteria 'By', then click 'Sök'.  Click on the arrow for the drop-down menu, highlight the words 'By kyrka', then click 'Visa'.  This will take you to a map showing By in the centre.  Increase the magnification by clicking on the second box up from the bottom in the magnification scale (stack of white boxes) and you will see N Skane shown immediately south of By church towards the bottom of the map.

2001-07-18, 22:27
Svar #4

Stephanie

Hej Chris!

Tack så mycket!  I found it!

Of course I now have another question... I saw Våle on the map, which is another place I was looking for, but it looked like it was in Huggenäs parish.  Was there another one in By?  Also, I was trying to see if I could find Smörgraven that was in By parish.  I did not know if it was too small for the map, or I was just not looking in the right place.  Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you for all of the help.

Stephanie

2001-07-18, 23:58
Svar #5

Utloggad Agneta Rung

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 94
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-18, 16:39
    • Visa profil
Hej Stephanie!

There are three Våle in Värmland mentioned on the CD. The closest is the one in Huggenäs (the others are in Ekshärad and Grava). But there is a farm called Vålet in By parish. Smörgraven seems to be situated in By parish. It is described as a farm on the CD.

It should be possible to search for these places at the Lantmäteriet map site, but there seems to be some problem with searching for place names containing the swedish characters å, ä and ö...

Hälsningar
Agneta

2001-07-19, 04:11
Svar #6

Chris Troy

I found a Smörgraven on Lantmäteriet but of course I cannot be sure it is the right one.  It is on the larger of the two peninsulas south of Säffle.  When you have By and N Skane on the map as before (magnification second lowest box), click the green arrow in the centre of the bottom border twice, that is, move down two map pages.  You will see Smörgraven in the upper left quadrant of the map.

By parish was absorbed into Säffle parish in 1943 so modern maps like Lantmäteriet show the parish name as Säffle.

2001-07-19, 08:28
Svar #7

Utloggad Kaj Janzon

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1293
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-01-14, 10:41
    • Visa profil
    • www.medeltiden.st
You should also be aware of the fact that Huggenäs was a sub-parish (annexförsamling) of By. As a matter of fact there even was'nt a church in Huggenäs after 1842 (I believe there is one now, but that's another story). Due to this some persons (places?) you expect to find in Huggenäs records instead can be found in the records for By. This is exactly what happened to me when I was looking for one of my ancestors in the records for Huggenäs around 1840.

Kaj Janzon

2001-07-20, 05:25
Svar #8

Stephanie

Hej Kaj!

Thanks for the information!  But I am a bit confused.  There are still Huggenäs parish records around this time period, but some records-people ended up in By parish records?  Could they be in both parish records?  So far, I have only looked at some By parish records, but I will be looking at Huggenäs in a couple of days, so maybe I will run into the same problem, thanks for the heads-up.

Thank you Agneta and Chris for all of the help.  I have a good idea where these places are now!  I just need to figure out if the place I am looking for (Wåhle) is Våle or Vålet.

Regards,
Stephanie

2001-07-20, 23:08
Svar #9

Utloggad Carl-Johan Ivarsson

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 807
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-23, 18:39
    • Visa profil
Hej Stephanie!
I understand if you get confused on this. Records of baptisms, marriages and funerals from Huggenäs could at some periods be included in By records.
There is two Våle or Vålet near Säffle. The Våle that you are searching for is the one in By parish. Don't pay any attention to the spelling - both farms is pronounced the same way. 100 years back both were probably spelled Wåhle.  
The other Våle is in Södra Ny parish, but Södra Ny and Huggenäs parishes merged in 1970, and it is noted on the CD mentioned above as Ny-Huggenäs parish.

2001-07-23, 03:04
Svar #10

Stephanie

Hej Carl-Johan!

Tack så mycket!  So the Våle or Wåhle that I am looking for is Vålet.

I have another problem.  Johannes Nilsson, the father of Nils Fredrik, was supposed to be born in By.  I can not find him in the födde records for By.  I have found everyone else I am looking for who was born in By, even the father of Johannes.  I even looked in the Huggenäs födde records.  I will look again.  Any thoughts?

Regards,
Stephanie

2001-07-26, 07:32
Svar #11

Anders Andersson

Regarding the birth of Johannes Nilsson, sometimes the data in the church records is simply wrong. The clerk may have made a transcription error. Last week I traced a woman whose birthdate changed from March to October as she moved from one parish to another. In another case, a boy inherited his older brother's birthday (but not the year of birth) as the brother moved away to another farm. I've seen kids born on February 29 when it wasn't even a leap year!

So, if reading through the birth records for the entire year doesn't yield the person you are looking for (or this is too much work due to the size of the parish), the standard approach is to follow the person backwards in time in the hfl (household examination records). Take note of the birthdate and location for every occurrence of the person. If it works out, you should sooner or later find him surrounded by parents and siblings. When you get to the time of his birth, the nature of the error should be clear.

It may sometimes happen that a person is entirely missing from the birth records, even though he should be there, especially in the older records (1600's), but in my experience this is an uncommon explanation. In the 1800's, it's more likely that a person appears in the birth records of more than one parish, because he was born outside his mother's home parish.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna