ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Lyby Parish in Malmöhus County subdivisions  (läst 785 gånger)

2004-05-25, 02:33
läst 785 gånger

Joanne Lillevold

The husförshörslängd for Lyby Parish in Malmöhus County lists the following subdivisions: Lyby, Brunstorp, Sextorp, Akarp, Norrtou, Orrahuset, Södertou, and utan stadighemvist.  I'm not sure these are all spelled right.  Are these farms, or what?  Within each of those are numbered units, like 2, 2?, 9?, 10 3/8, etc.  What are those?  Is utan stadighemvist something like homeless?

Note to Elisabeth Thorsell, you found the correct Else Jönsdotter for me awhile back (thanks, again).  Now I'm trying to understand places in her parish.

2004-05-25, 14:42
Svar #1

Anders Andersson

Assuming Lyby is a rural parish (I'm not too familiar with Malmöhus county), those subdivisions would be villages or in some cases farms. Lyby village is of course the one after which the whole parish has been named, usually where the church is located.

The exception is utan stadig hemvist which means without permanent residence. This is a section of the book intended for vagrants, temporary tenants and such. It may also include people registered in the parish, but actually living elsewhere in Sweden, although I think those are more commonly found under one of the headings å församlingen skrivna (registered with the parish) or obefintliga (absentees, residence unknown).

The numbers you mention, in particular the fractions, usually indicate the size of the household for taxation purposes, in the unit mantal (abbreviated mtl). However, those numbers seldom exceed 2, and I suppose you also have ordinal numbers involved here. If you have actually seen the combination 9?, I would assume that to be understood as household #9, of size ? mtl.

The integer numbers are thus used for identifying individual farms or households within a named village (or, in the case of towns and cities, within a named block). In the clerical survey records, they are usually listed in ascending numerical order. Sometimes a numbered farm may also have a proper name of its own stated in the records.

2004-05-26, 01:51
Svar #2

Joanne Lillevold

Thanks for the information, Anders.

I have some printed husförshörslängd in front of me.  I see (these are all written under Namn): No. 7--3/16, No. 3.?., No. 3, ? mtl. (not sure about that last letter).  What size would that be?

If Lyby is a village (I don't see it on my map), can someone tell me when it was recognized as a village?  Can someone tell me whether my spellings are correct, and whether the other names are villages?

Joanne

2004-05-26, 10:09
Svar #3

Utloggad Anders Berg

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 7651
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-06-06, 18:37
    • Visa profil
    • Scangen
Joanne, the sizes would be, respectively, 3/16 mtl, 1/2 mtl and 1/2 mtl. These are taxation units, not the actual size of the farm, and depend on both the actual size and the fertility of the soil. Originally, I think in the 16th century, 1 mtl was defined as a farm capable of supporting one household, but with improved agriculture it was possible to split the farms in smaller parts between the children.

Yes, they are villages with the possible exceptions of Brunstorp and Orrahuset (probably only a farm or house), and you have spelled them correct, except that Åkarp should have a small circle above the A. I don't know the history of Lyby in particular, but would guess this church parish as most parishes in this province was formed at least during the Middle Ages, perhaps earlier.

2004-05-27, 01:29
Svar #4

Joanne Lillevold

Thanks, Anders B.

You've been very helpful with the names and numbers.  I wouldn't have guessed the meanings of those numbers.

MVH
Joanne

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna