ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: County and parish for Toreboda?  (läst 1454 gånger)

2000-09-21, 23:49
läst 1454 gånger

Joyce

Can anyone tell me where Toreboda is located, please?  Need county & parish.

2000-09-22, 00:31
Svar #1

Utloggad Torbjörn Norman

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1384
  • Senast inloggad: 2008-07-08, 22:32
    • Visa profil
Hello Joyce
Töreboda is a parish in Skaraborgs län in Västergötland. 15 kilometers east of Mariestad.
Torbjörn i Björklinge

2000-09-22, 02:44
Svar #2

Joyce Todd

Thank you, Norman.  I thought Töreboda was a town!
It was great to get an answer so quickly also. It
is still September 21 in USA.
Joyce

2000-09-22, 03:35
Svar #3

Utloggad Kay Sheldon

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 5
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-10-03, 19:03
    • Visa profil
Joyce, Töreboda is what we in the States would call a town in the state of Skaraborgs.

2000-09-22, 09:25
Svar #4

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
And to add to the  confusion, the present parish of Töreboda, was called Björkäng before 1938. It is roughly situated on the Göta Kanal, in Västergötland, between lakes Vänern and Vättern.

2000-09-22, 18:35
Svar #5

Joyce Todd

Thanks to each of you generous and knowledgeable
people. Is my understanding now correct on this--
the  divisions from largest to smallest is:  Sweden, province, county, parish, town or farm,
then street  or house.  Please correct me  if not
correct.  The changing names I will have to deal
with later!!  
Regards,
Joyce

2000-09-22, 23:06
Svar #6

Utloggad Torbjörn Norman

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1384
  • Senast inloggad: 2008-07-08, 22:32
    • Visa profil
I will say, town is today bigger than parish. In the town Töreboda there are the parishes Beateberg, Bäck, Bällefors, Ekeskog, Fredsberg, Fägre, Halna, Hjälstad, Mo, Sveneby, Trästena, Töreboda(Björkäng) and Älgarås. But 1936 the town of Töreboda was only a part of the parish Björkäng. Province-county can also be county-province.
Torbjörn in Björklinge(my parish)in the town Uppsala in the county Uppsala län and privince Uppland. I had to learn myself too.

2000-09-22, 23:34
Svar #7

Anders Andersson

Note also that counties (län) and provinces (landskap) are roughly the same size. They are simply different, but coexisting, divisions of the country (Sweden). Many counties cover parts of more than one province, and many provinces cover parts of more than one county.

I would not compare a Swedish county to a U.S. state, as Sweden is not a federation like the USA (and they differ too much in size). Swedish counties are mere administrative divisions of the state, with no local legislative powers. They probably resemble British counties slightly more than U.S. counties.

Provinces are mostly historical territories leading back to medieval times (when each province had its own laws). They have no political significance today, but they are well established as a geographical frame of reference for culture, language (dialect) and tradition.

2000-09-23, 01:49
Svar #8

Joyce Todd

THANK YOU! I'm getting it now. Can  you experts tell me about the court system? I have a translated guardianship protocol at spring session with Lindes Court at courthouse in Lindesberg April 15 1903 & it begins Since Nya Kopparbergs County Court l3 Janus 1892---it refers to changing guardian for minor children.  I am wanting the record for the 1892 session. Would it be on LDS microfilm, and why are the courts mentioned different, or are they in fact different?  Help again, please!

2000-09-26, 16:46
Svar #9

Anders Andersson

About the site of the courthouse: The old judicial divisions were changed in 1971, when a uniform system of courts was introduced for rural areas and cities alike, so we are discussing divisions of the past here.

The old, basic territorial unit for administrative and judicial matters in southern Sweden was the härad (hundred in English, according to a dictionary of mine). Nya Kopparbergs härad coincides with Ljusnarsberg parish (and Kopparberg köping).

For practical reasons, every härad didn't have its own court, but they were grouped into larger units known as domsagor (judicial districts). At the time you mention (1892-1903), Lindes domsaga consisted of Fellingsbro härad, Lindes och Ramsbergs härad, and Nya Kopparbergs härad. The courthouse was situated in Lindesberg.

From the details you have provided, I would thus assume that the court case pertained to some people living in Nya Kopparbergs härad (i.e. Ljusnarsberg parish). Is that correct?

Somebody else will have to answer your question about microfilm availability, as I have no information on that. Besides, we probably shouldn't continue this questions and answers session under the subject line County and parish for Toreboda? since it bears no connection to judicial divisions in Bergslagen (as this area on the border between Västmanland and Dalarna is known).

2000-09-27, 04:24
Svar #10

Joyce Todd

You are correct, the people lived in Ljusnarsberg
parish.  And you are absolutely correct that I
veered off of the posted topic, rather badly.  Am still learning the posting business and am making mistakes.  Thank you very much.
Joyce

2000-09-27, 22:24
Svar #11

Anders Andersson

Joyce, if you have further questions pertaining to Ljusnarsberg specifically, you may want to go to the Landskap: Västmanland: Socknar: Ljusnarsberg forum and ask there.  While that discussion is primarily in Swedish, inquiries in English are welcome as well.

I have some distant ancestors from Ljusnarsberg myself, though nothing I'm working on for the moment.

2002-04-02, 21:16
Svar #12

Utloggad Brian Almquist

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 102
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-02-14, 03:15
    • Visa profil
I am looking for information On the family of my great-grandfather, Ludvig Andersson, born 11 November 1850 in Toreboda township, Skaraborgs lan. He had 5 brothers and 2 sisters also born there. I do not know which parish he was from, but I know his wife, Maria Charlotta Petersson was born in August 1854 in Fredsberg parish.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Brian Johannesson-Almquist
Ashland, Oregon, USA

2002-04-02, 22:30
Svar #13

Utloggad Sören Andersson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 113
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-11-04, 20:34
    • Visa profil
The present name of the parish is Töreboda but the name was previosly Björkäng. Töreboda was originally a farm ther the present city of Töreboda is located. The railroad station was named Töreboda and this name became more known and the name of the parish was changed.

Sören A

2002-04-03, 09:22
Svar #14

Utloggad Brian Almquist

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 102
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-02-14, 03:15
    • Visa profil
I would also appreciate any information on the family of my great-grandmother, Maria Charlotta Petersson, born in August 1854 in Fredsberg parish, Toreboda township, Skaraborgs lan.

2002-04-03, 21:30
Svar #15

Peter Karlsson / anbytarvärd (Peter)

As the title of this discussion is about the 'geography' for Töreboda, I suggest you better ask for theese persons under: Anbytarforum: Landskap: Västergötland: Socknar: Fredsberg instead..

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna