ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Amdsvail - Where might it be 1860 - Sharon Scott  (läst 561 gånger)

2007-08-13, 16:24
läst 561 gånger

Sharon Scott

I am searching for records about my great great grand father George Alfred Wilson born 10 Apr 1858.  He listed Amdsvail on some records and Stockholm on others.  He immigrated in 1878 through England and Canada.  Any help is greatly appreciated. Sharon Scott Tucson, Arizona

2007-08-14, 08:22
Svar #1

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 674
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-01-29, 22:10
    • Visa profil
I doubt that there is any Amdsvail in Sweden. The spelling must have been misread. A town on the coast, north of Stockholm, came to my mind - Sundsvall. In handwriting that could look like your Amdsvail. Not at all sure though.

Regards,
Karin

2007-08-14, 11:54
Svar #2

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
A Johan Alfred Åslund from Skön parish just outside Sundsvall emigrated to Quebec 14 Sept 1879. He was born 10 April 1858, according to the CD Emibas. He left Malmö harbour on 19 Sept 1879. This could possibly be your ancestor who has changed his surname, Wilson not being a Swedish name. Johan is a Swedish version of George or John. Prior to emigration he was a farmhand at a farm in the village of Tunabäck.

2007-08-14, 13:01
Svar #3

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
Johan is not a Swedish version of George, it is a variation of Johannes, and can also be seen as Jon, John, Jan, Jean, Jaen and more.

George in Swedish would be Georg, older variations are Göran and Örjan, and more on that line.

2007-08-14, 13:49
Svar #4

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
I have actually seen the names Johan (and the versions you give) used interchangeably with Jöran/Göran for the same person in older records. What you say is, however, correct linguistically. When it comes to americanized name changes Johan usually ends up as John, but it is phonetically possible to end up with George. And many even stranger versions, for that matter!

2007-08-14, 13:53
Svar #5

Utloggad Karin Ekeroth

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 674
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-01-29, 22:10
    • Visa profil
Sharon,

You refer to records. Could you specify what records those are and it might be easier to find him here.  

I looked at the 1930 US Census and found a Geroge Wilson married to a Carrie with one daughter still at home, a Minnie. Is this your George? He was born in Sweden and Carrie was born in Norway. ( I think) The family lived in Emerald, Minnesota earlier (1905) and had several children.  

All I want to know if this is the family you want the Swedish records for.

Karin

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna