ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Amdsvail Location for Sharon Scott  (läst 665 gånger)

2007-08-08, 23:27
läst 665 gånger

Sharon Scott

My gggrandfather George Alfred Wilson listed his birth place as Amdsvail Sweden on some records and Stockholm, Sweden on others.  He was born 10 April 1858 and most US Census records say he immigrated around 1880.  I have tried Google Search, but am lost.  Any help would be appreciated.  I realize his name may have been changed, but I don't know what from.  Thank you,

2007-08-09, 00:07
Svar #1

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
The place your ancestor immigrated from might be the city of Sundsvall in northern Sweden.  

Where did he settle in the U.S.? Do you have his obit or any other information about him? Siblings?

2007-08-09, 00:14
Svar #2

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Have you checked with the Swenson Swedish Immigration Research Center? They have a website but their EXTENSIVE collection of records is not online.

http://www.augustana.edu/swenson/

Judy

2007-08-14, 15:32
Svar #3

Sharon Scott

He immigrated in 1878 and when he married in 1881, listing a father J. O. Wilson on his marriage application.  He listed no mother.  His death certificate had unknown in the parental blocks and the obituary did not list any family.  His granddaughter says he never spoke of family that she knew of.  He worked in North West Michigan when he first immigrated and settled in Emerald Wisconsin and then moved to Minneapolis where he died in 1938.  Thank you for responding.  I will check out both of the leads.

2007-08-14, 16:24
Svar #4

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
(We seem to be in two sections of this page here)

Anyway, Johan Alfred (I am not at all sure this is the right man) was born in Skön and his father was Johan Åslund, according to the birth record. The confusing part here is if he changed his name to Wilson in America. Åslund is not very easy to pronounce but usually ends up as Aslund or Oslund.

2007-08-14, 17:31
Svar #5

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
For some reason it has often happened that Olsson is changed to Wilson, which I have seen both in the U.S. and in Australia.

2007-08-14, 18:12
Svar #6

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
Interesting, but it makes sense. The two names sound similar.
Continuing on the Skön-track. Apparently, a whole group of 27 persons left at the same time for Quebec from the same parish and 81 altogether from the same county. No Olsson though. Immigration years in censuses etc are often wrong so he could have arrived around the 1878 given.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna