ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Swedish citizen codes?!  (läst 1733 gånger)

2000-04-17, 07:04
läst 1733 gånger

Donna Corlett

Hi!
Recently under the emigrants heading, Sven-Ove
Brattström provided some very interesting
information.  He informed me that all Swedish citizens have a ten figure code.  He expanded on this by explaining that the first six figures are based on the persons birth...that is: year,year,month,month,day,day
He also said that there were four other figures-signifying what Iän the person had been born in...etcetera. (?!)
What I am wondering is what are the other figures that make up this personal citizen code?  How many of these other four figures are use to signify the Iän? (ie-would Kronobergs Iän be 7 or 07?) In what sequence do all the figures appear?
Is this code assigned at birth?(I guess similarly
to a birth certificate here in North America).

I am very interested as I had never heard of this citizen code before.

I would appreciate it if someone could explain this further.  

Thank you!
Donna

2000-04-17, 08:39
Svar #1

Roland Johansson

Hello Donna

This code, the personnummer was introduced in 1947. The four digit code assigned to those who were born prior to that year was not based on place of birth, but on their place of residence in 1947.  
For those who were born between 1947 and 1990 the code gives information on their birth län. Since 1990 the code is randomly assigned, without geographical reference.
The ninth digit is always odd for men, and even for women.
More information, in english, you'll find here. PDF-file (153 kB), so you need Acrobat reader.

2000-04-17, 08:48
Svar #2

Hasse Högman

Hi Donna,
The Swedish citizens codes orpersonnummer as they are called is a PIN-code.  
It is constructed like this:
YYMMDD-xxyc
xx used to be a county code but not any more. I have 78 which is the county of Västernorrland.
y is just a number but even numbers are girls, odd numbers boys,
c, the last digit, is a control number or control digit.
Hasse

2000-05-01, 12:21
Svar #3

Utloggad Michael Carlsson

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 41
  • Senast inloggad: 2008-09-15, 20:43
    • Visa profil
However, I believe there are exceptions, A ticket controller (bull) at the Stockholm commuter train service once told me, there are some differences for the royal family and some of the well-born (Swe.= adliga). Could anyone explain further about this?

2000-05-02, 11:58
Svar #4

Anna Johnson

Hi!

I think that the code of imigrants have (or had) a certain first digit. Sometimes this digit has also (by mistake?) been given to children which were born travelling, i.e. not in their home county. My brother-in-law suffered from this, since the computer system of one of the Swedish military bases reacted negatively when he applied for a job there ...

/Anna Johnson

2000-06-06, 15:12
Svar #5

Gun Jansson

Hi, Donna!
The various answers you have received may be a little confusing. The first six figures are for the year, month and day of birth. Then there are three figures for the birth number, which was introduced in 1947. Each county (län) had its own series of numbers, for example Stockholm had the numbers 001-139. When a child was born it got the first of the numbers not yet used for that date, odd if male and even if female. Persons born before 1947 got a number from the county where they were living in 1947. Persons not born in Sweden used to get numbers from the series 930-999. These numbers were not used by any of the counties. The tenth figure is simply a control figure which was needed when the whole system was computerized in 1967.
There's not any difference for royal or noble families, that's pure nonsense.

2000-06-06, 16:51
Svar #6

Carl Szabad

Donna! I could complete Gun´s and Roland´s answer a bit (the others are wrong). There are three groups ov numbers (if we exclude the fourth control digit) that were not used ordinary, 650-659, 740-749 and 930-999. They were only used if there were so many people born that day (the first six numbers) that the ordinary numbers for the actual district were too few. Immigrants normally received the numbers from 930 and above as Gun also wrote.

This system was only lasting from July 1947 till December 1990, from 1991 the numbers were administered at random. So for people born before July 1, 1947 they did not receive the number after where they were born, but where they lived on that day.

And Donna, the swedish word for district is län, not Iän.

2000-06-06, 19:03
Svar #7

Utloggad Arne Pettersson

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 47
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-02-04, 12:58
    • Visa profil
To complete the question of Swedish citizen codes, it would be very good, if somebody could explain how the fourth control digit is made out.
(There is a certain pattern for that.)
Best regards,
Arne

2000-06-06, 19:15
Svar #8

Utloggad Sven Grönberg

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 255
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-07-31, 13:22
    • Visa profil
Arne! You can find information about this on the homepage of Riksskatteverket: www.rsv.se/broschyrer/70407.html (text version) or
www.rsv.se/pdf/70407.pdf (PDF version)

2000-06-08, 16:57
Svar #9

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Gun, I can only refer to what this person told me about controlling person numbers, trying to detect false given one´s when freeriders on trains are catched. Now, what do Carl XVI Gustaf state his number are, when calling to Försäkringskassan/Social insurance, whenever he catches a cold..?
As an undoubted citizen of Sweden, he must have a number, or what? And if, could you or I call the tax office and get it? You could get mine I suppose, if you knew my adress, or the license number of my car, for instance.
I haven´t tried, but I doubt that the King´s person number isn´t restricted in some way.
What are those restrictions, if they exist?
Is it a protected standard person number, or is it, as I´m informed, a number different from yours or mine, so that it won´t be easy to use for imposters etc.
I really don´t have the answer, that´s why I sort of asked about this.
Nonsense is a very harsh expression in my opinion, and requires a statement of facts.
I´ll be happy to learn that the King has a 10-digit number just like anyone else, if that is the truth.

2000-06-08, 21:52
Svar #10

Utloggad Sven Grönberg

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 255
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-07-31, 13:22
    • Visa profil
Michael! I do not know the king's personal code, but his grandfather's, King Gustaf VI Adolf's code was (18)821111-0013 (Source: the CD Sveriges Dödbok). When searching that CD, I also noted that the king's mother, Princess Sibylla, had 002 in her four last digits. So it is possible that all the members of the royal famile have 001 (for men) or 002 (for women), plus control digit, but that is hardly a difference, since also common people have 001x and 002x in their personal codes.  
(When the new Sveriges dödbok 1950-1999 is released, more members of the royal family will be included. Then I probably can confirm this acceptance.)

2000-06-08, 22:12
Svar #11

Eva Leksell

Yes, it is true that the king has the same type of citizen code as the rest of us. And it is no secret. Anyone who wants to can look it up at the Swedish tax authorities. I looked into the Spar-register, based on national registration.

As the king has no family name (surname) there is an asterisk instead in the register. That is the only exceptional thing about him there.

2000-06-09, 10:15
Svar #12

Carl Szabad

I am rather sure that the present king has number 460430-0014, it was mentioned in the newspaper some time in connection with his birthday.

2000-06-10, 03:46
Svar #13

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Thanks all for clearing the skies...

Perhaps it´s the 001/2 connection my source was pointing towards, as he wouldn´t go deeper into the subject, as it were a secret, really...

When I went to school, in a different town than I was born in, there was a girl born the same day, and in the same place as me. Her last digits are 0204, mine are 0212. We were born just a few hours between each other, she before me. So there seems to be some sort of running numbers practice when numbers are given, still considering the gender digit.

If the Royal family turns out to be 001/2´s only, there seems to be a minor difference, if above theory is correct. Probably just a tradition at the tax authority to serve the most important person first at such an occasion, but nevertheless...

Forgive me for speculating rather than presenting the facts, but even loose ends can be of some sort of use or perhaps at least distraction.

I wonder why my ticket controller mentioned some of the nobles ?

2001-07-26, 04:03
Svar #14

Anders Andersson

Since most Swedish royals probably were either born in Stockholm or lived there in 1947, it's not surprising that many of them have been given low numbers. And, before the maternity wards had computers, the numbers had to be assigned manually, leaving room for some non-chronological assignment, but I don't see a reason for any special rules (and I don't know the exact routines for distributing and assigning the numbers within each county). Since Miss Silvia Sommerlath immigrated to become queen in 1976, her number should provide a clue, but I haven't checked what it is.

Back when motor vehicles had their registration numbers assigned by county (until the early 1970's), the king's car was actually given a prominent number such as A1, and I think the same applied to many county governors' official cars. However, registration plates are much more visible than personal numbers, so those vanity numbers make some sense.

As for strange rumours told by ticket controllers, there are urban legends within any field of human knowledge... :-)

2001-07-26, 12:57
Svar #15

Utloggad Anders Pemer

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1662
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-09, 16:22
    • Visa profil
    • www.pemer.net
I once stumbled upon 460430-0014, H M KUNG CARL XVI GUSTAF (without additional names Folke Hubertus, and absolutely no Bernadotte) in the Stockholm county citizens directory on microfiche at the Stockholm City Archive, when I was looking for a relative, who was born on the same day.

I then looked up the birth dates of the other members of the family, and wrote the numbers down somewhere, though I?m not sure where these notes are today. Since I?m familiar with the procedure of calculating the tenth digit I can, however, recall the codes for all three children (770714-0021, 790513-0014 and 820610-0029).

If I recall correctly, Queen Silvia had gotten the old kind of immigrant number beginning with number 9. But I?m not sure of this.

In the files the members of the family were listed as H M KUNG CARL XVI GUSTAF, H M DROTTNING SILVIA, H K H KRONPRINSESSAN VICTORIA, H K H PRINS CARL PHILIP and H K H PRINSESSAN MADELEINE.

Swedish papers and magazines tend to be very funny and call the members of the royal family Victoria Bernadotte, and so on, but this shows they are certainly not called Bernadotte in official files.

We do know this was the last name of their ancestor who was elected heir to the throne, and that members of the royal family, who has lost their right to the throne, have gotten the last name Bernadotte by the authorities, but it is only childish to pretend that the members of the actual royal family has the surname Bernadotte. They don?t have any surname at all!

2001-07-27, 16:27
Svar #16

Utloggad Bo Skoglund

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 118
  • Senast inloggad: 2020-11-15, 10:12
    • Visa profil
Quite right, as other citizens they can reclaim an old family name. Bernadotte will however appear when you are talking about royal families or dynasties, such as house of Vasa, Pfalz, Hessen, Holstein-Gottorp or Bernadotte. The first and last name are based on surnames and the other ones on terrestical titles, also used as surnames. The first Vasa (Gustaf I) didn't use that name but his descendants did.

2007-03-26, 07:38
Svar #17

Carl Szabad (Carl)

This discussion unfortunately has to be closed as it several times has been infected by spam.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna