ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Sweden in 1880's  (läst 1990 gånger)

2001-05-10, 02:10
läst 1990 gånger

Marilyn Maun

My grandmother left Sweden in April of 1882.  I would like to know what kind of weather would be normal, the temperatures, amount of daylight,etc.  Also I would like to know the most likely mode of transportation she would have used to travel from Frödinge to Göteborg.

Marilyn

2001-05-11, 16:05
Svar #1

Utloggad Ingemar Skarpås

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 182
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-29, 11:40
    • Visa profil
April weather in Sweden is very unpredictable. Even in the southmost parts of Sweden, you can get the occational snow blizzard, and down to a handful degrees on the minus side. But April also use to provide some periods of nicer weather; sunny and around 10+ degrees during the days, and around 0 during night. The last day of April is called Valborgsmäss and is a holiday, when we have huge bonfires to celebrate the spring in that evening. A few years ago in the Stockholm area it was +18 degrees as late as 21.00 hours that evening. Since I am not from that particular area perhaps someone knows about the transportations...

2001-05-11, 18:48
Svar #2

Roland Johansson

Gladhammar (25 km east of Frödinge) average precipitation in April = 32,7 mm.  
(Data gathering period 1861 - 1976.) Wiew.

Västervik (35 km east of Frödinge) average temperature in April = 3,8 ?C.  
(Data gathering period 1859 - 1907.) Wiew.

2001-05-11, 21:37
Svar #3

Marilyn Maun

Ingemar and Roland,

Thanks so much for the weather information.  You are most helpful.

Would someone else know if the immigrants would have traveled by ox and wagon, by boat on the Göta Canal or by train.  I know they probably all used different methods, but what would have been the one most commonly used?

Marilyn

2001-07-26, 04:56
Svar #4

Anders Andersson

I have no actual data about emigrant transportation in those days, but I think train would have been the most likely alternative in your case. Vilhelm Moberg's fictional characters Karl-Oskar and Kristina travelled by horse and carriage from Ljuder parish to the harbour in Blekinge, but that was in the mid-1800's, before railway production had really taken off in Sweden. Oxen were hardly ever used for personal transport; they are too slow.

I have a copy of N. J. T. Selander's Karta öfver Sverige (Atlas of Sweden), made in 1881-1883. At that time, the railway network is already pretty extensive, and not very different from the network of today. There was a railway line from Oskarshamn via Hultsfred to Vimmerby, where it ended (today it goes on to Linköping).

If I may guess, I'd suggest that your grandmother used horse and carriage from Frödinge to Vimmerby, where she took the train, probably changing trains in Hultsfred, Nässjö and Falköping before arriving in Gothenburg. I don't have a timetable, but such a journey probably took two (or possibly three) days.  Sleeping-cars weren't used before 1886, but hotels were often found near major train stations.

2001-07-26, 05:17
Svar #5

Anders Andersson

A clarification about sleeping-cars; 1886 is the year when Statens Järnvägar (the State Railways) put their first sleeping-cars into traffic, according to Nationalencyklopedin. It's possible that some private railroad had sleeping-cars before that. However, I very much doubt your grandmother travelled by sleeping-car, as night travel was hardly common in the densely populated southern Sweden, where you had a train stop every 5-10 kilometers.

2001-07-26, 21:20
Svar #6

Marilyn Maun

Hej Anders,

Thank you so much for your  information.  That seems to be the most logical route to have been taken.  I appreciate hearing from you.

Marilyn

2004-03-18, 23:04
Svar #7

Karin Hjalmarsson

Hejsan

Jag har en fråga rörande resan över till Amerika. Har en släkting som for över 1883 via Göteborg.  

Hur lång tid tog i genomsnitt resan från Göteborg till New York just vid den tiden? Alltså från det dom lämnade hamnen i Göteborg tills det dom landsteg vid Ellis Island?.

/Karin

2004-03-18, 23:29
Svar #8

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
1883 landsteg de vid Castle Garden på Manhattans sydspets, och resan tog ca 14 dagar, inklusive transporten tvärs över England.

Ellis Island öppnade inte förrän 1892.

2007-01-15, 00:10
Svar #9

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Göteborg till England tog enligt tidtabell ca 40 timmar. Båtarna gick till Hull eller Grimsby - Wilsonrederiets båtar gick olika dagar till antingen den ena hamnen eller den andra. På 1880-talet var antalet avgångar (Wilson och konkurrerande rederier) upp till 4 st/vecka - och vissa rekorddagar översteg det totala antalet emigranter från Göteborg 2.500/dag!

Sedan tog det ca en dag att ta sig med tåg från Hull/Grimsby över till Liverpool.

Från Liverpool gick ångbåtarna över Atlanten på ca en vecka. Det kunde naturligtvis ta längre tid pga dåligt väder; redan 1894 var snabbaste restiden dock nere i under 5,5 dygn (Cunard-rederiets Campania).

Hade man tur med väder och tidtabeller överallt kunde resan alltså gå på knappt 10 dygn; hade man otur var 20 dagar inte helt ovanligt. Just väntetid i England var en stor faktor. Normalt var, som Elisabeth säger, ca två veckor.

En paradox i sammanhanget är att när väl  Svenska Amerika-linjen kom igång 1915 så tog det längre tid att anlita dem än att åka via England eftersom SALs första fartyg (SS Stockholm) var mycket långsamt med en marschfart på 15 knop (den brittiska rederierna hade båtar med marschfart på 20 knop och däröver). Däremot var det naturligtvis bekvämare att vara kvar på samma båt hela vägen från New York till Göteborg (eller vice versa).

Ingela

2007-01-15, 01:18
Svar #10

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Hi Ingela,

This is interesting information. Thanks for sharing it. I had never thought about how much time the first part of our emigrants' journey would have taken.

Judy

2007-01-15, 12:27
Svar #11

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
I might add that many of the immigrants that I have found in the Ellis Islands records left England from Southampton. They probably sailed on the American Line, who had just as many ships leaving Southampton as from Liverpool, according to the Morton Allan Directory.

2007-01-15, 20:36
Svar #12

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Hi Elisabeth,

I have several ancestors who left from Southampton and a smaller number who left from Liverpool. I think that perhaps the ones who followed used the same route that their relatives used, unless there was a problem of some sort to make them dissatisfied.

Judy

2007-01-16, 01:17
Svar #13

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Hi Judy,

Glad you thought my input interesting - I'm very impressed you could read it all, although I of course know that you have some Swedish. I ought of course to have written in English since this is the English corner. (Since others who might be interested perhaps can't read Swedish at Judy's level, there is an English translation at the bottom of this message.)

Yes, I've also seen quite a few Swedish passengers who went by way of Southampton, and I definitely agree with Judy that some people acted as trail-blazers with their friends and relatives just following an established path. I've noticed several times that the followers went by not only the same route and the same shipping line but even the very same ship!

I suppose the southern route by way of Southampton added about 24 hrs to the total travelling time, but this could of course be compensated for if the time tables were a better match than the Liverpool ones.

The first part of the journey - getting to the departure port in England (whether that was Southampton or Liverpool) - is described by many emigrants as the most arduous part of the journey. Particularly crossing the turbulent North Sea aboard one of the Wilson line's tubs left indelible memories. The tubs pitched and rolled violently, and the third-class passengers were installed in holds that could also house cattle! (Exporting cattle was a major business, and the smell was evidently - even for rural people - overpowering to say the least.)

Since my farmor, her brother and her cousin all emigrated (to Chicago), I did a little research that eventually resulted in a small essay on the Swedish emigration (both in Swedish and in English) and I can of course email it to anyone who might be interested.

Ingela

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Here follows a translation of my previous input in Swedish:

Göteborg to England took according to the time tables about 40 hrs. The boats arrived either at Hull or at Grimsby - the Wilson line ships went on different days to either the one port or the other. In the 1880s the number of departures (Wilson and competing shipping lines) could be up to 4 a week - and certain record-breaking days the number of emigrants departing from Göteborg was in excess of 2.500/day!  

Then it took about a day to go by train from Hull/Grimsby across England to Liverpool.  

From Liverpool the steam ships took about a week to cross the Atlantic. Bad weather could of course delay the arrival; however, already in 1894 the fastest trips took less than 5,5 days (the Cunard line's Campania).  

If you were lucky with both weather and time tables everywhere the journey need take no more than a bare 10 days; if you were unlucky 20 days was not uncommon. The waiting time in England was a deciding factor. Normal was, just as Elisabeth says, about two weeks.  

A paradox here was that when the Swedish America Line finally started up in 1915 it took longer to use their services than travelling via England since SAL's first ship (SS Stockholm) was very slow with a service speed of only 15 knots (the British shipping lines had ships with a service speed of 20 knots or more). However, it was of course much more comfortable to remain on the same ship all the way from New York to Göteborg (or vice versa).

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna