ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: When does the rye crop set ears?  (läst 502 gånger)

2003-10-27, 17:33
läst 502 gånger

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 354
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-11-29, 20:15
    • Visa profil
I am trying to date a letter from my great-great-grandfather.  I know that it is from 1894 because he said that he would turn 70 that next November.  He lived in Gärdslöv parish in the south of Sweden, and he said that the rye was far along, and it had set ears much earlier than in other seasons.  Also, he referred to one of their late spring storms, and the snow had risen up to 12 alnar.  I think that he was talking about a storm that had happened awhile ago, but the ripening rye was happening at the time of the letter composition.
   When would rye set ears in a normal year?  And how much snow would 12 alnar equal?
Thanks so much!

2003-10-27, 17:55
Svar #1

Anders Andersson

I don't know anything about rye crops, but one aln equals two feet, or approximately 60 centimeters. 12 alnar would correspond to roughly 7 meters. I suppose the letter refers to snow that had been blown towards the wall of a house or similar, but 7 meters still sounds pretty high. On the other hand, snow storms in a flat terrain without forest can be pretty devastating.

2003-10-27, 22:26
Svar #2

Utloggad Karen Kelsey

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 354
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-11-29, 20:15
    • Visa profil
Thanks.  The letter said that the roof was affected, and that the old man had never seen such drifts, although 7 meters sounds like an exaggeration, since their white-washed cottage was not 7 meters tall!  Their home faced the fields, rye during the early 1890s, but sugar beets late in the decade, and if the wind was blowing toward the home, then some high drifts might have accumulated against the house.
   Also, he mentioned that many old sheds had fallen down, due to the weight of the snow.  Then he mentioned that the wood that had collapsed could be cut up to use as firewood in the stove - to make their coffee.  Those old Swedes didn't waste anything.

2003-10-27, 22:35
Svar #3

Utloggad Gun Pålsson

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 228
  • Senast inloggad: 2016-12-25, 19:31
    • Visa profil
Hello Karen,
There is an old tell about rye.
If you sow the rye early it sets ears 18th May and you can get a bread on 29th July.

But as early as 29th July the rye seldom gets ready even in south or middle Sweden.

In Swedish:
Om Erik ( 18 Maj ) ger ax, ger Olof ( 29th July )
kaka.

Love  
Gun

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna