ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Titles and Names in Christening Records for Hedvig Eleonora Parish  (läst 1347 gånger)

2004-12-09, 20:37
läst 1347 gånger

Bob Hayes

In a birth/christening record for Johanna Charlotta Lundberg (b. Feb. 6, 1835 in Hedvig Eleonora Parish, Stockholm) I find no parents listed, but there are godparents or witnesses listed.  A couple of the names seem to have titles:

Sekretary Blomdahl and his wife,  
Styckjunkare Magnusson
Demoiselle Lundberg
Madame Säfström

What would the title Sekretary represent?  Is this a parish official or perhaps a government official?  I believe Styckjunkare is a military rank, correct?

Thanks for any input.

2004-12-10, 12:13
Svar #1

Utloggad Hans Högman

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 519
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-10-27, 09:40
  • Hans Högman
    • Visa profil
    • www.hhogman.se/
Styckjunkare was a military rank (non-commissioned officer, NCO) in the Swedish Artillery.  
This rank was called fanjunkare in other branches of the Army (in the infantry for example) and was the highest NCO rank from 1833 when it was introduced until 1945 when the higher NCO rank Förvaltare was introduced.

Madame ought to be madam which is the same in English: Madam.
Hans Högman

2004-12-10, 12:46
Svar #2

Utloggad Tord Påhlman

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 2085
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-11-13, 21:51
    • Visa profil
I believe you should read sekreterare, not sekretary. Sekreterare means secretary and is in this case most probably a governmental official. Parishes did not usually have any secretarys in those days.

2004-12-10, 20:51
Svar #3

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Hans,

Thank you for mentioning fanjunkare. I have one in my family, and although I knew he was a noncommissioned officer, I didn't know it was the highest possible NCO rank at that time.  

If you use madam/madame in the U.S., it often has an unsavory meaning (the woman who ran a brothel), or it was (in older times) a respectful term someone would use to speak to an older woman they didn't know. (Now the store clerks call everyone Miss, which is laughable when used as a term of address to an elderly grandmother, but no one wants to offend.) It can also mean Mrs. but no one in modern times would use that word for Mrs. It probably meant Mrs. in the context found by Bob.

Judy

2004-12-10, 23:36
Svar #4

Bob Hayes

Thanks all for the information.  Any idea where I can find more information on what or who Sekretary (or Sekreterare) Blomdahl was?  I am curious to know if the title indicates that Mr. Blomdahl held a lower administrative position or that he was a higher government official.  Where would one find a list of government officials in Stockholm in 1835?

2004-12-11, 03:11
Svar #5

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Madame and Demoiselle were usually rendered as madam and mamsell but out of politeness - and in equal measure showing off your knowledge of French - it was sometimes written in French.
Madam was used for a married woman of the lower middle class, e.g. a craftsman's wife. Later, it went downhill to working-class women. It could also be used about a country woman of some substance (still only a farmer), the most famous example being madam Flod in Strindberg's Hemsöborna. It was also used in conjunction with a job description - such as roddarmadam (rowing woman; a roddarmadam rowed people about in the Stockholm area). In these last two cases it didn't matter if the woman was married or not, it was an acknowledgement of a working woman doing a man's job.
Mamsell was used about unmarried girls and women of the middle class, from just a cut above working class to just under upper class; a much broader range than madam. Mamsell was also used about a working woman doing a woman's job, like governess or lady's companion or housekeeper (with maids under her).

The Swedish equivalents - fru and fröken - were in the beginning used only by the upper classes. Fru began sliding down the social scale much earlier than fröken; in 1835 you would definitely call the vicar's wife fru - but his daughter would still be mamsell.

Ingela

2004-12-11, 03:29
Svar #6

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Hi Ingela,

Tack så mycket for this interesting information.

Judy

2004-12-11, 10:23
Svar #7

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
In the Stockholm Tax register for 1835 there is no man with the title sekreterare, but there is one D N Blomdahl, who is a clerk for some storage place (förrådsskrivare). He lives in the Johannes district.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna