ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Swedish Universities  (läst 328 gånger)

1999-08-30, 05:31
läst 328 gånger

David Clark

I am researching my Grandfather, FRANK JOHN HENDRICKSON, born 22 Nov 1846 in Stockholm, who may have attended a University in Sweden.  We got a negative response from University of Upsalla and University of Lund.  Are there any other Universities, Colleges, Institutes that might still exist which were operating in the 1860's to 1870, when my grandfather emigrated to USA?

Thank you.

David Clark
Irvine, CA USA

1999-08-30, 12:09
Svar #1

Mari-Anne Roslund

Dear David Clark,
Finding someone through a university would be more or less impossible, even through Uppsala or Lund. Most institutions of higher education merged around the turn of the century. They do not keep lists of students from that time.
If you have not already done so, you should try to find him through the church registry in the Swedish National Archives as you know both his birthdate and where is was born.
Mari-Anne Roslund

1999-08-30, 13:34
Svar #2

Utloggad Linda Wickström

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 85
  • Senast inloggad: 2014-08-07, 17:51
    • Visa profil
Hi,
I do not know of how you have tried to find your ancestor in Uppsala, but here (as I am an undergraduate student of Uppsala University) the student nations keep records over their members, and all students had to belong to a nation (and still have).  
I would advice you to get in touch with the university library Carolina Redeviva, you can find it on the net through www.uu.se, they store the records.
I think they have the same kind of system in Lund.
Good Luck !

1999-08-30, 21:26
Svar #3

Utloggad Christina Backman

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 833
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-04-22, 18:01
    • Visa profil
Dear David. University students were  
immatriculated and these records have been kept.  
It would help if we knew what your grandfather was  
supposed to have studied? Perhaps he went to  
agricultural college? What grounds have you for  
thinking he attended a university?
Good luck Christina.

1999-09-12, 04:31
Svar #4

David Clark

Thanks for all of your help.  My grandfather seems to have been well educated.  He supported himself and family by painting houses in America, but he was also an accomplished painter of pictures and murals.  We have some of his work.  Surely, he studied art or painting somewhere.  

Was it possible for a young person of means to be sent to University of Heidelberg?  In Germany?  That seems like quite a long ways from Stockholm, where he is supposed to have grown up.

Thanks again.

David Clark
Irvine, CA USA

2000-02-19, 06:18
Svar #5

David Clark

Please note my new E-mail address:
dc1999@flashcom.net

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna