ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Rockström family  (läst 3500 gånger)

2006-07-12, 07:53
läst 3500 gånger

Sandra Kay Rockstrom

My great grandfather was Claes (or Klaus) A. Rockström born in Landeryd, Ostergotland, Sweden on 26 August 1856.  I believe his parents were Anders August Rockström b. 24 March 1826: d. 22 March 1869,  and Stina Greta Mansdotter b. 17 April 1825.  I believe Claes immigrated to the US on SS Canada 19 May, 1880 London England via Queenstown, Ireland to New York.  He married Anna Benson b.13 June 1862, Sweden (exact location of birth unknown).  My personal family stories indicate that Claes and Anna lived in Minnesota (I have a picture of them in front of their home) before moving to Spokane, Washington where I was born.  I have pictures (and have toured through) their home in Spokane as well as their son's (Carl Elmer - my grandfather) home.  My father (Carl's son, Richard) continues to live in Spokane as well as a few of Claes' decendants. Any information into my Rockström family would be much appreciated.
Sandy

2006-07-12, 10:43
Svar #1

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
Sandra

Klas August Rockström emigrated from Landeryd 26 April 1880. He went with his mother widow Stina Greta (Månsdotter) Rockström and sister Emma Kristina Rockström according to the flyttlängd (book of people moving from the parish). They lived at Sandbacken, a very small cottage (backstuga), Emma was working as a maid at another farm. A sister, Matilda Charlotta b 1864 died 22 May 1878.
In the Gothenburg police register of emigrants (Emihamn) Klas (CA Rockström) is listed as leaving April 30 with Edla (!) Rockström, mother aged 50. Destination: Chicago.
In the earlier household roll (1871-75) there was also a son Johan Peter b 23 Jan 1858 and daughter Carolina Wilhelmina b 26 Jan 1860. The father died 21 March (?) 1869.

2006-07-12, 11:06
Svar #2

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Sandra

The 1889-91 City directory for St Paul, Mn shows this:

Name: Klaus A Rockstrom  
Location 2: 262 Banfil  
Business Name: Jefferson & Kasson  
Year: 1890, 1891  
City: St. Paul  
State: MN  

Ther is also John O Rockstrom, blacksmith, and Oscar Rockstrom in Banfil and Christina Rockstrom as a boarder at 858 Armstrong Avenue.
In 1910 John O is in Spokane with family and 2 children bor in Minnesota. Immigration year 1879

In 1879 (15 April) a Johan Oscar Roxström, smith?s apprentice (the name can be spelled two ways) emigrates from Sturefors, Vist parish. He was born in Landeryd and is the brother I read as Johan Peter born Jan 1858.
Also sister Carolina Wilhelmina emigrates (listed as Roxström) on 23 April 1880, from Norrköping town, where she is apparently working.

2006-07-12, 11:07
Svar #3

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

Claes August born the date you indicate and the dates for his parents are okay as well.
Father was born in Örtomta parish, Östergötland and mother in Skedevi, Östergötland.
At the time of birth for Claes August family resided  in the hamlet of Skonberga, Landeryd parish. The farm called Skonberga Nedregård.
Siblings:  

Maria Sofia, born in Skedevi 1852;  out of wedlock.
Johan Oskar (or Josef Oskar, not sure) born in Landeryd 23 January 1858;
Carolina Wilhelmina b. 26 Jan. 1860 in Landeryd.

The parents were married 1855.

Landeryd C:4 and AI:11 pg 23 (handwritten)  GID 330-13-11800 refers.

2006-07-12, 11:19
Svar #4

Bo Nordenfors (Nob)

More on siblings:

Emma Kristina b. 6 March 1862 in Landeryd,
Mathilda Charlotta 28 Sept 1864 in Landeryd;

family living av Sandbacken near Landeryd Norregård.

Landeryd AI:12 pg 161 (handwritten) = pg 327 (Genline)  GID 330.30.1400

2006-07-12, 17:47
Svar #5

Utloggad Elisabeth Thorsell

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 9209
  • Senast inloggad: 2023-05-27, 17:48
    • Visa profil
    • www.etgenealogy.se
The Rockström/Roxström family has been published in Svenska Smedsläkter, volume I (2003). It was published by the Society for smith's research (Föreningen för Smedsläktsforskning), and there is some info in English on their web site.

2006-07-13, 07:01
Svar #6

Sandra Kay Rockstrom

Tack så mycket to you all!  I remember very little of my grandfather, but he taught me to say that, and a recent internet friend - many thanks, Chris - advised me of the way to spell it .  I am so happy to have learned a bit about my ancestors and hope more information can be found. My father was told that his grandparents (Claes and Anna) came to the US on the same ship, which I believe was the SS Canada on 19 May, 1880.  I do not see the name Anna Benson on that manifest.  I believe she was born 13 Jun 1862 in Sweden.  Claes seems to have done well after coming to the US, working in the lumber industry and his son Carl followed in his footsteps.  It would be interesting to me to find current ancestors that are still living in Sweden.

2006-07-13, 07:22
Svar #7

Sandra Kay Rockstrom

Chris Bingefors - I'm wondering about the person Edla listed in the imigration records as Claes' mother age 50.  I found a manifest for the SS Canada: http://www.immigrantships.net/v3/1800v3/canada18800519_1.html  
that shows passenger 215 as Edla Rockström as 50 years old male laborer.  Is Edla a common male or female name? Wilhelmine, 20 year old spinster (must be Carolina as the ages match) and Emma are also on the manifest along with CA Rockström - they are grouped as passengers 214 through 217.  I am also wondering how Mathilda died - she would have been between 13 and 14 years.  Thank you so very much for your quick responses.  I find myself more and more interested in learning about Sweden's history now and have been staying up late in the evenings to have the time to learn.

2006-07-13, 08:50
Svar #8

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Sandra

There is, unusually, no cause of death given in the lists of dead sent to Statistics Sweden for Landeryd, the original records for that year seems to be missing. However, there are a lot of other people dying from scarlet fever or diphteria at the time so maybe that is what she died from. She was 13 years 7 months and 28 days according to the book.

Yes, Edla is a female name. I am also wondering about the entry. The Gothenburg register of emigrants says that she traveled with Claes and was the mother. Registers being secondary sources, it may be wrong, but the s/s Canada list has the same name but the wrong sex? Also the age is wrong.

Stina Greta Månsdotter was born in Skeda parish and was one of twins, her sister being Charlotta. Her parents were Magnus Orre and Anna Greta Jonsdotter in Lindstorp (crofter?s house), Skullebo. In 1835 she had 6 siblings.

Like Elisabeth says, the Rockström/Roxström family has been researched, I even know some of the present descendants, but it is a big family.

Anna Benson may have been Bengtsson, Benson, Berntsson or similar in Sweden, I have not found a suitable candidate but registers are not complete. Have you any idea about where she came from or any relatives?

2006-07-14, 19:56
Svar #9

Sandra Kay Rockstrom

Chris
Thank you once again for the interesting information.  I look forward to continuing my research into both my family history and life in 1800's Sweden.  I spoke briefly to my father, Richard Wayne Rockstrom, and he remembers that his grandparents (Claes and Anna) said they came to the US on the same ship before they were married.  I will go to visit him next month and will try to see his older brother at the same time so perhaps can learn more.
Sandra

2006-07-14, 23:19
Svar #10

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Sandra

If you are lucky Anna?s death certificate may give her place of birth or her mother?s maiden name. I have not found her in the available indexes, but they are not complete.
I believe Stina Greta changed her first name, unusual but it has happened. Changes of the family name were common, most people only had a patronymic and were told they had to get a proper family name on entering the US. Roxström of course was a family name, and even relatively pronouncable in English.

2006-07-15, 19:32
Svar #11

Sandra Kay Rockström

Hello,
I found the date of Anna's death to be 7 Feb 1946 in Spokane, WA.  It will take some time to request a copy of her death certificate - I may wait until I've been able to contact her living decendants to see if any of them have the original death certificate.  I also found census records that indicate she emmigrated in 1881 - a year after Claes, so will look into that further.  I was able to view a copy of the original ship manifest for the SS Canada (1880) that Claes, Edla, Wilhelmine and Anna were on (not a transcription)and the entry is quite clear.  It does list Edla as a 50 year old male laborer.  I can imagine what it was like for the ship registrar (is that what you would call him?) trying to write all the information of passengers boarding so very likely a mistake there.  
I'm on my way to my small-town library now to see what I can learn about the history of 1800's Sweden.  I sent email to a contact address on the website for Svenska Smedsläkter but have not had a response yet.  I tried to find information in english on the website but no luck - I'm not very computer literate.
Again, many thanks - Sandy

2006-07-15, 22:34
Svar #12

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Sandra

I don´t know if you found Stina (Edla) in the 1910 census, but I think she is living in Minnesota, St Paul with daughter Minnie (Wilhelmina?) who married a JF Wilson. Christine (same name as Stina!) is now stated as born 1825 again.  She is in the Minnesota Death Index date of death 2 Jan 1914.
As she was Edla already when leaving Gothenburg harbour she must have changed her name or they gave her the wrong name in the ship´s list there. She might have lied about her age so as not to risk rejection on entering the US, people were very afraid of that.

2006-07-15, 23:04
Svar #13

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Sandra

One thought: Anna may have arrived in 1881 as the census says, her husband possibly meant that they came on the same ship, ie the s/s Canada, but different years

2006-07-16, 12:00
Svar #14

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
One likely candidate for Anna Benson:

On s/s Canada arriving 23 May 1881 there is an Anna Andersdotter. She seems to be identical with Anna Thalena Andersdotter from Ås, Halland County who emigrates from the parish on 22 April 1881. Her brother Johannes Andersson emigrated 23 April 1880 and came back 19 Nov 1885. Since the patronymics ending with -dotter were rapidly exchanged before or on arrival in the US (1320 persons arrive with Andersdotter, only 2 are in the 1900 census), she probably changed her name to her father?s patronymikon used as family name which was Bengtsson (ie Benson in American!). She was born 13 June 1862 in Ås parish in Halland County (west coast). She is the only one in the database with that date of birth (it is not a complete record of emigration).
Her father was farmer Anders Bengtsson and mother Anna Lena Andersdotter who died in the 1860s (date unclear), the father remarries Anna Eliasdotter in 1869. She had 2 brothers and 3 sisters.
I think this is a strong candidate for your ancestor.

2006-07-24, 18:43
Svar #15

Sandra Kay Rockstrom

Hej -

Thank you for the information on Anna.  My time to work on this has been limited the last few days.  I have been in contact with a descendant of Johan Oscar - my great grandfather's brother. Is so interesting to compare notes!

I'm wondering about Anders August and Stina Greta Månsdotter.  They would have been about 29 and 30 years old when they married.  That seems rather old - was it common?  Also was wondering about their daughter Maria Sofia born out of wedlock in 1852 - what would have become of her and what last name would she have been given?

2006-07-24, 23:47
Svar #16

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Sandra

They were not really old, many people could not afford to marry earlier. They were often working as farm hands or maids or in service, with food and board, and did not have any way of having a family. Maria Sofia got her father?s name. She emigrated with her husband Anders Fredrik Carlsson and children in 1886 (see below) Most people had patronymics ie -son or -daughter names after their father?s first name, illegitimate children got their names in various ways then.  Children in the country, at least under school age did not often use surnames. Before the name law of 1901 you could use any name freely, except noble family names.

Post 113020

Roxström, Maria Sofia
Hustru (married woman)

b. 4/24/1852 in Skeda, Östergötlands län (Östergötland)

Emigrated 1886
from Valnöten, Norrköpings Matteus, Östergötlands län (Östergötland)
to Nordamerika

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 301

Emibas migration file ID: Norrköpings Matteus E 1886 022

2006-07-25, 06:46
Svar #17

Sandra Kay Rockström

Chris,  

Tack så mycket once again! It is very kind of you to help me better know my Swedish roots. I wonder if you understand my curiosity, coming from the US which was built on the efforts of emigrants from all over the world. Learning what came before in our lives is so very enriching. Your efforts and support are greatly appreciated!  

Today in the post I received a book that I'd been waiting for - 'Cradled in Sweden' by Carl-Erik Johansson. I have only briefly glanced through it but seems it might have some interesting and helpful information for me. I have also heard of the fiction books by Moberg - 'The Emigrants' series. Are you familiar with them and do you think they are a fairly accurate portrayal of life in mid-1800's Sweden? Any other recommended reading (I only read English) would be appreciated, understanding that I spend most of my hours at work or caring for my husband/home so my reading 'stack' is quite high!

I will have to research further my great-grandfather's life after he came to the US in 1880. It seems he did not stay in farming but rather persued a life in business - the lumber industry - and did comparativly well. He seems to have come from circumstances that were difficult in his youth, and yet even today his more prosperous influence reflects on me.  

Now I am even more interested in exploring the history of Sweden pre-1800. My small public library is woefully lacking in information.  

I think I understand the use of patronymics but don't know about the name law of 1901. Was there also some sort of spelling law around 1906?  

I am also curious about the currency used in Sweden today. I think I read there was a Swedish 'silverdaler' in the early 1600's. That sounds like the US silver dollar and of course our currency is still based on the dollar. I carried an old (1884) silver dollar US coin (a birth gift from my maternal grandfather) on my wedding day as part of our tradition Something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue - do you have a similar wedding tradition in Sweden?  

I have read other postings to this site and find them most interesting - again I must thank you for your information not only to myself, but to others who might care to investigate here.  

Respectfully,  

Sandra

2006-07-25, 09:19
Svar #18

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Sandra

The Moberg Emigrant series give a very good account of emigration and the circumstances around it in the mid 1800s. They are well worth reading, there are also two excellent films made from them which may be available with English subtitles on DVD or video. Vilhelm Moberg did substantial research for the books.

Hans Högman, a genealogist, has made a very good webpage (http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/slaekt.htm) where you can click English on the left side and get descriptions of Swedish history, monetary system, naming practices and lots of other facts. Yes. there was a spelling reform in about 1905-7 (can?t remember the actual date) where spelling was modernized. In the early days it was not standardized, which is obvious in the older church books.

There is an excellent webpage on http://www.ekomuseum.se/english/knowmore_bergslagen.html
if you look on the left side menu there are different chapters on the life of the smith?s families, Rockström was one of them.
I don?t think we have the same wedding tradition here. Dollar and daler is the same word.
I studied in Wisconsin and Minnesota and it is fascinating to see that a lot of traditions and food habits of the older scandinavian descendants reflect the old Swedish life.

2006-07-25, 22:57
Svar #19

Utloggad Pehr Hedenqvist

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 443
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-01-28, 17:29
    • Visa profil
    • www.hedenqvist.com/ph
Hi!

Here is the ancestors of Anders August Rockström:

Probandus
Anders August Rockström. Born 1826-03-24 in Torpet Åsen under Broby
rote, Örtomta (E) (dopbok). Baptized 1826-03-26 in Örtomta (E)
(dopbok). (Father I:1, Mother I:2)

---------------------------- Generation I ----------------------------

I:1 f
Anders Rockström. Born 1787-01-21 in Borkhult, Yxnerum (E) (dopbok).
Baptized 1787-01-22 in Yxnerum (E) (dopbok). Died 1845-03-21 in
Stämna, Askeby (E) (dödbok). Buried 1845-03-28 in Askeby (E) (dödbok).
Gårdssmed i Ekenäs, Örtomta sn, torpare i Stämna, Askeby, torpare o
daglönare i Värna. (Child Probandus, Father II:1, Mother II:2)

Married 1813-10-29 in Björsäter (E) (Sv Smedsläkter nr 4/IGI) to. the
following ancestor.

I:2 m
Sofia Sundman. Born 1789-12-27 in Sunnebo, Björsäter (E) (dopbok).
Baptized 1790-01-01 in Björsäter (E) (dopbok). Died 1852-06-14 in
Stämna, Askeby (E) (Sv Smedsläkter nr 4). (Child Probandus, Father
II:3, Mother II:4)

Married 1813-10-29 in Björsäter (E) (Sv Smedsläkter nr 4/IGI) to. the
previous ancestor.

--------------------------- Generation II  ---------------------------

II:1 ff
Jakob Jonsson Rockström. Born 1737-01-31 in Hults Bruk, Kvillinge (E)
(dopbok). Baptized 1737-01-31 in Kvillinge (E) (dopbok). Died
1812-04-25 in Borkhults bruk, Yxnerum (E) (dödbok). Manufaktursmed i
Borkhult, Yxnerum. (Child I:1, Father III:1, Mother III:2)

Married 1st 1759-07-02 in Yxnerum (E) (vigselbok) to. Lisken
Månsdotter. Born 1727 (dödbok). Died 1765-02-19 in Borkhult, Yxnerum
(E) (dödbok). Buried 1765-02-24 in Yxnerum (E) (dödbok).

Married 2nd 1765-09-29 in Yxnerum (E) (vigselbok) to. the following
ancestor.

II:2 fm
Sara Persdotter. Born 1749-09-09 (dödbok). Died 1812-01-27 in
Borkhult, Yxnerum (E) (dödbok). (Child I:1)

Married 1765-09-29 in Yxnerum (E) (vigselbok) to. the previous
ancestor.

II:3 mf
Petter Andersson. Rusthållare i Sunnebo, Björsäter. Born (dopbok).
(Child I:2)

Married to. the following ancestor.

II:4 mm
Kerstin Månsdotter. Born about 1764 (dopbok). (Child I:2)

Married to. the previous ancestor.

--------------------------- Generation III ---------------------------

III:1 ff f
Jon Johansson Rockström. Born 1708-05-16 in Hults Bruk, Kvillinge (E)                                      (dopbok). Baptized 1708-05-17 in Kvillinge (E) (dopbok). Died
1757-12-16 in Borkhult, Yxnerum (E) (dödbok). Buried 1757-12-21 in
Yxnerum (E) (dödbok). Spiksmed i Borkhult, Yxnerum sn. (Child II:1,
Father IV:1, Mother IV:2)

Married 1732-12-28 in Kvillinge (E) (vigselbok) to. the following
ancestor.

III:2 ff m
Barbro Jakobsdotter. Born 1713-01-08 in Hults Bruk, Kvillinge (E)
(dopbok Kvillinge CI:2 GID 326.23.76200). Baptized 1713-01-11 in
Kvillinge (E) (dopbok Kvillinge CI:2 GID 326.23.76200). Died
1795-01-21 in Fasstorp, Yxnerum (E) (dödbok). (Child II:1, Father
IV:3, Mother IV:4)

Married 1732-12-28 in Kvillinge (E) (vigselbok) to. the previous
ancestor.

--------------------------- Generation IV  ---------------------------

IV:1 ff ff
Johan Johansson Rockström. Born about 1678 (dödbok, åu). Buried
1747-11-01 in Hults Bruk, Kvillinge (E) (dödbok). Smed vid Hults bruk,
Kvillinge sn. (Child III:1)

Married 1702-05-16 in Kvillinge (E) (vigselbok Kvillinge CI:2 GID
326.23.70100) to. the following ancestor.

IV:2 ff fm
Ingeborg Jonsdotter. Baptized 1679-02-16 in Porten, Kvillinge (E)
(dopbok). Buried 1757-03-27 in Hults Bruk, Kvillinge (E) (dödbok).
(Child III:1, Father V:3, Mother V:4)

Married 1702-05-16 in Kvillinge (E) (vigselbok Kvillinge CI:2 GID
326.23.70100) to. the previous ancestor.

IV:3 ff mf
Jakob Persson Bruhn. Smed vid Hults bruk, Kvillinge sn och i Västra
Husby. Born about 1674-12-.. (åu, dödbok). Died 1751-05-15 in
Gneckstad, Västra Husby (E) (dödbok). Buried 1751-05-20 in Västra
Husby (E) (dödbok). (Child III:2, Father V:5)

Married 1st 1710-11-06 in Simonstorp (E) (vigselbok) to. the following
ancestor.

Married 2nd 1719-12-27 in Kvillinge (E) (vigselbok) to. Karin
Jönsdotter. Born calculated 1669 (åu, dödbok). Died 1738-02-08 in
Luddingsbo ägor, Västra Husby (E) (dödbok). Buried 1738-02-19 in
Västra Husby (E) (dödbok).

Married 3rd 1739-02-23 in Västra Husby (E) (vigselbok) to. Agneta
Matsdotter. Born about 1687 (åu, dödbok). Died 1771-02-08 in
Tallbacken, Västra Husby (E) (dödbok). Buried 1771-02-10 in Västra
Husby (E) (dödbok).

IV:4 ff mm
Karin Persdotter. Born calculated 1679 (dödbok). Buried 1719-05-20 in
Hults Bruk, Kvillinge (E) (dödbok). (Child III:2)

Married 1710-11-06 in Simonstorp (E) (vigselbok) to. the previous
ancestor.

---------------------------- Generation V ----------------------------

V:3 ff fm f
Jon Bengtsson. Born calculated 1647 in Kvillinge (E) (dödbok, åu).
Buried 1687-05-08 in Porten, Kvillinge (E) (dödbok). (Child IV:2,
Father VI:5, Mother VI:6)

Married 1670-11-13 in Kvillinge (E) (vigselbok) to. the following
ancestor.

V:4 ff fm m
Ingrid Andersdotter. (Child IV:2)

Married 1670-11-13 in Kvillinge (E) (vigselbok) to. the previous
ancestor.

V:5 ff mf f
Per NN. Soldat i Herstadroten, Norrköping. (Child IV:3)

Married.

--------------------------- Generation VI  ---------------------------

VI:5 ff fm ff
Bengt Månsson. Born calculated 1597 (dödbok Kvillinge CI:1 GID
326.22.56000, åu). Buried 1677-04-01 in Porten, Kvillinge (E) (dödbok
Kvillinge CI:1 GID 326.22.56000). (Child V:3)

Married to. the following ancestor.

VI:6 ff fm fm
Ingeborg Persdotter. Died before 1666 in Kvillinge (E) (M-A Olsson).
(Child V:3)

Married to. the previous ancestor.

2006-07-27, 18:29
Svar #20

Sandra Kay Rockstrom

Hello,

Chris, thanks so much for the webpage links.  I will put the Moberg books on my reading list, which is getting quite long!

Pehr, what a wonderful amount of information - thank you!  I made contact with a person here in my small town that is very knowledgeable about geneaology research and she gave me information about some software that I was able to download to my computer to help me keep my information in order - now I just need to find the time to work with it!

Thanks again,
Sandra

2006-07-27, 20:03
Svar #21

Utloggad Judy Olson Baouab

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1355
  • Senast inloggad: 2015-07-14, 18:26
    • Visa profil
Sandra,

Put the Moberg Emigrant novels at the head of your list. They are fantastic! I've reread them a lot of times and love them each time. Stock up on tissues. You will need them. :-).

Judy

2006-07-28, 00:14
Svar #22

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil

2006-07-28, 18:55
Svar #23

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Sandra,

It has to be remembered that excellent as the Emigrant-series is, Vilhelm Moberg had a strong bias; he was interested in portraying people in Sweden as poor and down-trodden (yes, quite a lot of them were too, but quite a lot of them were not!).
He did do very serious research into the emigration, but it must also be remebered that what he writes about is early emigration, and family emigration. At the time of the sailing ships - and with a family - it really was the way he writes about so movingly: they saw Sweden for the last time when they left. Already in the 1880's you get a radically different picture: single young people going over, to see if America indeed was a land of milk and honey. These young people went away much as young people do today, to explore the world. Most of them returned home after a few years - the majority just for a visit since they had created a rather better life for themselves on the other side of the Atlantic, but a not insignificant percentage did not go back. Of the approximately 1.2-1.3 million Swedes who left, at least 200.000 returned for good. Those who went back to the States often guided younger relatives and friends on their first visit.
The film version Chris mentions stars no less an actress than Liv Ullman (a Norwegian!) as Kristina (and Max von Sydow as Karl-Oskar). The movies are excellent and I do believe available with English subtitling.
There is of course also the musical based on the Moberg books: Kristina från Duvemåla. Music by the ABBA composers, Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus.

You also asked about wedding traditions. It is funny that you carried a silver coin as part of an Anglo-Saxon tradition, in your case symbolizing something old. Well, in Sweden a very old tradition was that the bride should have a silver coin in her shoe, so that the future for the bridal couple would be prosperous!
Nowadays we have seen too many American (and British) films and so Swedish customs are sometimes replaced by Anglo-Saxon ones. It was e.g. never the custom here for the father to give the bride away. The bride and bridegroom walked down the aisle together - now you quite often see a Swedish bride walking down the aisle on her father's arm.

Ingela

2006-08-12, 18:35
Svar #24

Sandra Kay Rockström

Hello,

Chris, thank you for the norwayheritage link - I spent some time reading parts of it last week and found it very interesting.  

Judy - I do look forward to reading the Moberg series, but seems lately my reading time is limited to right before bed and I'm asleep before I've read more than a few pages!  It's summer here in Arizona and much to do outdoors when I'm not at work.  Looking forward to winter and more hours spent with good books!

Ingela, thank you for your thoughts.  I'm sure things were quite different by the 1880's than not so many years earlier.  My great-grandfather Claes (or Klas) August came to Minneapolis, Minnesota.  He worked with JP McGoldrick there and in 1905 came to Spokane, Washington where he was General Superintendant of the McGoldrick Lumber Company.  It has been great fun to learn more about my family history and I look forward to finding more stories and facts to fill in the blanks.  I am interested in old photos and have gathered a few from family members here in the states.  Great-grandfather's home that was built when he came from Minneapolis to Spokane is still standing and in wonderful condition.

I have been looking for a video of 'The Emigrants' that is sub-titled as I've seen reviews that say the dubbed version is not as good to watch but no luck so far.  I'm hoping it will be released on DVD soon.  I had not heard of the musical.

Thank you all once again!

Sandy

2006-08-13, 08:24
Svar #25

Sandra Kay Rockström

Another note - my husband requests equal 'research time' into his family!  His great-grandparents were from (or related to people from) Norway.  Names of Malde (Sven G Malde emigrated in April or March 1889) and Robley (may be of English origin).  This has been such an excellent resource for me to find information on my Swedish Roots - is there a similar place to trace Norwegian lines?

Tack så mycket,
Sandra

2006-08-13, 10:47
Svar #26

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
Sandra

Is that in the 1900 census Sven Malde, Hopper, Aurora, South Dakota? Born abt 1871. Arrives 4 March 1889 on the Aurania, given destination Vermont.

There are a number of Malde in Norway in the 1865 census, they all live in Rogaland County, in the Stavanger area.

There is a webservice with censuses, emigrant lists and a debate forum where you can ask for information all free in Norway. It is also in English. Address: http://www.digitalarkivet.no/

2006-08-13, 11:31
Svar #27

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
For Sven Malde and brother Ole the destination given in the original document is not Vermont, but Mount Vernon, which is also where Sven lives in 1920 and 1930. Our visiting Norwegian friends say that they know people in Norway with the name Malde, it is not very common. Unfortunately the 1875 census is not available for the Stavanger area.
There is actually one family called Robley (very English name) which comes from Norway, they live in Wisconsin in 1900 and immigrated 1869. There are also two single people with that name, one in Iowa and one in Minnesota. I have not found any in the Norwegian census 1865.

2006-09-07, 08:59
Svar #28

Sandra Kay Rockström

Hej -

I've been busy lately and away from my research/computer though having a great time visiting my children and grandchildren.  

Chris, thank you for the Malde/Robley family information.  I know my husband's family settled in South Dakota around the town of Mount Vernon and have much history there.  My mother-in-law has promised to send me more family information when they arrive at their winter home in California (they are currently summering in Washington State).  I'm sure your information about Sven is correct and will be fun to see what LaMaye (my mother-in-law) has to add to the history.  I've only been married into that family for a year now so all is new to me, but if you have friends in common who would like to contact us to share information or just to converse, please advise them of our email address.

I've been in contact with another Rockström descendent and it seems that some time ago she paid someone to research our Rockström family history - results seem very much in contrast to the information I've found.  Following is the information she received:

Descendants of Petter Flinck
8 Petter Flinck 1759 - Unknown b: 1759 in Trinnaryds, Sweden
.... +Catarina Hansdotter 1761 - Unknown b: 1761 in Tornevalla Parish, Sweden
........ 9 Brita Persdotter 1784 - b: 1784 in Skeda Parish, Sweden
........ 9 Anna Cajsa Persdotter 1788 - b: 1788 in Skeda Parish, Sweden
........ 9 Peter Persson 1796 - 1796 b: March 13, 1796 in Skeda Parish, Sweden
........ 9 Hans Persson 1799 - Unknown b: November 10, 1799 in Stora Gara, Sweden
.............. +Maria Helena Persdotter 1796 - Unknown b: October 14, 1796 in Kohagen, Sweden
................... 10 Carolina Hansdotter 1826 - b: August 22, 1826 in Nykils, Sweden
................... 10 Greta Sofia Hansdotter 1828 - b: August 28, 1828 in Nykils, Sweden
................... 10 Petter Johan Hansson 1830 - b: October 19, 1830 in Sarhult, Sweden
......................... +Johanna Jonsdotter 1836 - b: January 12, 1836 in Knipan, Sweden
............................. 11 Anna Christina Petersdotter 1858 - b: January 22, 1858 in Landeryds, Sweden
............................. 11 Johan Oskar Petersson (Rockstrom) 1859 - 1951 b: October 31, 1859 in Edsberga, Sweden
................................... +Hilda Mara Lindgren 1866 - 1955 b: November 23, 1866 in Karstorp, Sweden
........................................ 12 Annie Rockstrom 1890 - 1930 b: Abt. 1890 in Minnesota
.............................................. +Harry Salisbury 1890 - Unknown b: Abt. 1890 in Minnesota?
.................................................. 13 Bob Salisbury 1906 - Unknown b: Aft. 1906 in Michigan?
.................................................. 13 Gladys Salisbury 1910 - b: Aft. 1910 in Michigan?
........................................................ +Red Rudisile 1900 - Unknown b: Abt. 1900 in Unknown
.................................................. 13 Vern Salisbury 1910 - b: Abt. 1910 in Michigan?
.................................................. 13 Evelyn Esther Salisbury 1912 - b: August 26, 1912 in Lakeview, Michigan
........................................................ +Miller 1910 - b: Abt. 1910
............................................................. 14 Verna Miller 1938 - b: Abt. 1938
............................................................. 14 Glen Miller 1942 - b: Abt. 1942
........................................ 12 Edward Oscar Rockstrom 1891 - 1981 b: May 21, 1891 in St Paul, Ramsey County, Minnesota
.............................................. +Emma Charlotte Ostling 1901 - 1992 b: December 19, 1901 in Ljusdahl, Sweden
.................................................. 13 Infant Rockstrom 1921 - 1921 b: Aft. 1921 in Spokane, Washington
.................................................. 13 Shirley Rockstrom 1922 - b: Aft. 1922
........................................ *
........................................ 12 Esther Elizabeth Rockstrom 1896 - 1995 b: January 22, 1896 in St Paul, Ramsey County, Minnesota
.............................................. +Lina Clarence Austin b: in Ashton, Michigan
............................. 11 Hilda Carolina Persdotter 1862 - b: July 24, 1862 in Grebo, Sweden
............................. 11 Claes August Petersson (Rockstrom) 1863 - b: December 07, 1863 in Grebo, Sweden
................................... +Anna T Benson  
........................................ 12 John Walter Rockstrom 1896 - 1968 b: January 23, 1896 in Minneapolis, Minnesota
............................. 11 Clara Charlotta Petersdotter 1865 - b: December 01, 1865 in Grebo, Sweden
............................. 11 Johanna Sofia Petersdotter 1869 - b: June 24, 1869 in Grebo, Sweden
........ 9 Peter Persson 1802 - 1803 b: 1802 in Skeda Parish, Sweden
........ 9 Maja Greta Persdotter 1804 - b: 1804 in Skeda Parish, Sweden

I just noticed an error on Edward Oscar Rockstrom.......don't copy that info, have an extra wife that belongs to his son.

Val

My first note is the incorrect date of birth of my greatgrandfather - I'm very sure he was born 26 August 1856 in Sweden.  Her (Val's)great grandfather was John Oskar Rockstrom and I believe he was Claes (my greatgrandfather's) brother.  I know they both lived in Spokane, Washington USA in the early 1900's I and have history of my greatgrandfather Claes' life there including photos of his home and written history of him as general superintendant of McGoldrick Lumber Company in Spokane during the early to mid 1900's.  His son (my grandfather) continued with McGoldricks until the mill burned in the '50's.  

Is interesting to see all the different ways that a family tree can be written and to try to decipher it without instruction!

Pehr - how did you find such extensive information?  Do you have family connections?

I would be most interested to contact living relatives in Sweden to learn more about what their lives are like and what they know of our family history.

As always there are not enough hours in the day to devote to my various interests - thank you to all who have responded to this query and hoping to hear much more from you!

Sandra

2006-09-07, 10:30
Svar #29

Utloggad Pehr Hedenqvist

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 443
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-01-28, 17:29
    • Visa profil
    • www.hedenqvist.com/ph
Hi Sandra,

I am a Rockström-descendant on my maternal grandmother's side. You can check my web site:
http://www.geocities.com/pehrhedenqvist/mormor.html

The Rockström or Roxström-family are represented in a book called Svenska Smedsläkter, band 1 and Anders Rockström (1787-1845) is family no 12 on page 253 in that book. I helped with some info to that book.

2006-09-08, 20:20
Svar #30

Vallerie S Barney

Hello  Group,

I am the other Rockstrom researching this family, related to Sandra.  My Great Grandfather, Johan Oskar Rockstrom is the brother of Claes August Rockstrom.  I have many family photo's of both families, as well as the two brothers together.

The family group Sandra sent  on Sept 07 is, like she said, paid for research on Johan's and Claes's family.  I am more comfortable with the data I have seen on this site.  I did not understand why the Kallor never showed the efternamn Rockstrom, nor the correct datum fodelse.

I thank all of you for your information on this family.......

Is it possible to load pictures on this site?

Thank you again for all your help.  I know I will be asking more questions.

Val

2006-11-10, 03:18
Svar #31

Sandra Kay Rockström

Hello again,  

I've been away for awhile and trying to keep up with my research at least a little bit.  I received a copy of Anna Rockström's death certificate hoping it would have her parent's names and place of birth.  My grandfather was the one to supply the information on the certificate and appears he only knew she was born in Sweden and did not know the names of her parents.  I think next I'll try to find her naturalization papers - the census records indicate she was naturalized in 1891.  I also want to try to locate a marriage license.  I think she married Claes A Rockström after arriving in Minnesota, probably in 1881.  I am still waiting for a copy of Christina Rockström's death certificate from Minnesota, hoping that will give me some ties to show she was Stina Gretta Månsdotter.  

Pehr, I did look at your website - you have done so much research!  I have heard of Svenska Smedsläkter, band 1, is it translated to English?  I've tried going on the website but have had no luck navigating it to any information on my family.

Chris, as always your information is so helpful.  Sure hope I'll be able to make concrete connections to Anna Thalena Andersdotter and Stina Gretta Månsdotter.

It is autumn here in Arizona and we've been enjoying beautiful weather - still warm and sunny but the nights are chilly.

Again, I thank you all for your time and interest!

2007-10-05, 08:10
Svar #32

Sandra Kay Rockstrom Smith

Hello friends!

I've been away from my research for some time now but have a trip to Minnesota planned that will bring me to Saint Paul for one day.  Most of my Rockström ancestors from Claes (Klas) August and Anna Thalena Andersdötter Rockström lived in Saint Paul for at least 25 years or longer.  I have been working on finding information about the Rockströms in Saint Paul and have learned much.  

I am curious about Maria Sophia Rockstöm born to Stina Greta Mansdötter and Anders August Rockström out of wedlock in Skedvi 1852.  

Chris Bingfors, you indicated she emigrated with her husband Anders Fredrick Carlsson and children in 1886.  Researching the census records here I find that she was married to Charles Stein.  Charles emigrated in 1882.  Maria and 3 children, Ella Maria b. Mar 1878; Ernest b. about 1878 (were Ella and Ernest twins?  Their mother was one of twins...) and Andrew b. Feb 1880.  emigrated in 1886.

I will be traveling to Saint Paul later this month and have arranged to meet with a granddaughter of Maria Sophia - she is in her 80's now but still very sharp.  I would like to see what the records in Sweden show about Maria Sophia and her marriage and emigration before I talk to this distant cousin.

I have a second inquiry about the wife of my great grandfather's brother.  Johan Oskar emigrated in 1879 and Hilda Marie Lindgren emigrated in 1888 after which they were married.  One of Hilda's decendants thinks there was a child born before the 3 children that are listed in our US records.  I'm wondering if Hilda was married/widowed in Sweden and gave birth before emigrating to the US and marrying Johan Oskar Rockström.  The US census records seem to indicate that Hilda was first married about 1887.  She may have been born 23 Nov 1866 in Karsorp.  Another part of the story is that Hilda's brother was a friend of Johan Oskar Rockström's and was 'sent for' to marry JO.

I am very excited to soon visit Saint Paul, a city so rich in my family history.  Several family members are buried in a cemetery that I plan to visit, including Christine Rockström, also known as Stina Greta Mansdötter.  I have been in contact with a historian from Saint Paul whose special interest is historic homes and several houses that the Rockstrom's lived in are still standing.  That may seem odd to someone in a country where houses are often many centuries old, but it's not that common here in the US!

Someday I hope to visit Sweden and perhaps even visit with some distant cousins there.  I would love to share my US research with any interested relatives!  

Pehr - it's been some awhile and most of my time now is devoted to this upcoming trip to Saint Paul, but I would like to hear more from you about our family history - stories of your maternal grandmother's life and such.  

You all have been so wonderful answering my questions in the past and I'm hoping to have more information before my trip to Minneapolis in just 2 weeks!

Sincerely,
Sandy

2007-10-11, 07:58
Svar #33

Sandra Kay Rockstrom Smith

As no one picked up on my last inquiry here  I re-posted it with more details in the same forum.  I sincerely hope I haven't insulted or inconvenienced anyone with this error (duplication of inquiry) and will be more careful to study the rules in future.  Again my many thanks for all the help and information I've received from the generous folks that submit answers to inquiries here.  It helps more than you will ever realize!
Sandy

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna