ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Peddlers in 19th century sweden  (läst 1490 gånger)

2010-06-02, 02:27
läst 1490 gånger

Utloggad Cathe Schwartz

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 19
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-10-19, 19:59
    • Visa profil
My great-great grandfather was named August Gustaf Olsson and he was born in Toarp in Ålvsborg lan March 4, 1847. Family legend has it that as a young teenager, he became a peddler. He saved enough money to buy a horse and cart, and eventually ended up having his own store in Visby, Gotland (GID#2534.242.24300/Gotland-Visby Stadforsmaling A1:76 pg. 387)before coming to America with his wife and children in 1881.

From GID#1253.25.43800 (Ålvsborg-Toarp Household Exam. 1867-76 pg. 143), it looks like Johan Oscar, his younger brother, went to Gotland in 1872 and returned to Toarp in 1873. I haven't yet been able to figure out where in Gotland he went.

Does anyone know if there are records available that would provide some general information about life as a peddler during the 1870s, where August Gustaf Olsson might have travelled as a peddler, what kinds of goods he may have sold, and why he (and his brother) would have gone to Gotland, which seems pretty far away from their home in Toarp.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2010-06-02, 20:41
Svar #1

Utloggad Monica E. Fogelqvist

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 673
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-11, 16:13
    • Visa profil
Hi Cathe
I think your great-great grandfathers name was Anders Gustaf Olsson and his birthdate was April 1, 1847? He moved to Gotland in 1876 according to the Household Exam that you mention. Two children were born on Gotland, in Stenkyrka and Eskelhem. The family moved from Eskelhem to Visby in 1880 this is from Swedish census 1880:

Anders Gustaf Olsson, f. 1847 i Torp Älvsborgs län, Handlande  
Emelie Dahlström, f. 1847 i Dalstorp Älvsborgs län  
Erik Gustaf Leonard, f. 1877 i Stenkyrka Gotlands län  
Fritz Albin, f. 1878 i Eskelhem Gotlands län  
Anna Josefina, f. 1870 i Dalstorp Älvsborgs län  

There are several books written about the peddlers from Toarp and the surrounding areas. The area was known for its Gårdfarihandlare and they travelled all over Sweden selling crafts, fabrics etc. Many peddlers also went to Gotland.

The brother, Johan Oscar returned to Toarp and took care of the family farm that had been in the family since about 1820.

Regards
Monica

2010-06-02, 21:53
Svar #2

Utloggad Cathe Schwartz

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Hi Monica - thanks so much for your help - and for the corrections  
The information about peddlers and Toarp is fascinating. I haven't been able to find much information on peddlers in Sweden during the 19th century. You referred to some books in your post - do you know the book titles by chance?

I really appreciate your help!
Cathe

2010-06-02, 22:18
Svar #3

Utloggad Monica E. Fogelqvist

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 673
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-04-11, 16:13
    • Visa profil
Hi Cathe
There is a book Marknad på väg written by Pia Lundqvist with a summary in English http://web.telia.com/~u51205652/vb_0803/21_knallarna.htm
that might be helpful.

Monica

2010-06-02, 23:57
Svar #4

Utloggad Cathe Schwartz

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Hi Monica

I had come across her doctoral thesis, which (unfortunately for me anyway) was in Swedish.  I haven't yet found much written about the subject in English; just a few journal articles.  Time to learn Swedish, I guess!

Thanks again!
Regards, Cathe

2010-06-03, 18:43
Svar #5

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
The 1870's was the end of the true peddler's era. This was due to two reasons:
1. Before the reforms of 1846/1864 buying and selling was strictly regulated; you were only allowed to trade in towns and at occasional, well-regulated markets. The only exception was the peddlers from the so-called Sjuhäradsbygden (the area of the seven judicial districts) of which Ås, whre Toarp is situated, is one (yes, is, the area still exists). The peddlers from this district were exempt from the prohibition against trading in the countryside since at least the 17th century.
2. The railway. It became easy and affordable to travel to nearby towns. Railways came late to Gotland, so it made sense for peddlers to go there, and eventually settle.

Before 1846/64 the peddlers were really only allowed to sell things that were produced in the area they came from (the original reason for the exemption was that they had to supplement the poor farming land with making things they could sell). Lots of small wooden and metal objects were made in the area for sale by peddlers - but mostly fabrics were sold. At first linen fabrics and woollen cloth but after about 1820 also (perhaps mainly) cotton because Sjuhäradsbygden was famous as textile producers; a so-called proto industry.

Now, one thing is what you're allowed/supposed to do, another what you actually do. The peddlers were strictly forbidden to sell imported goods, and they couldn't sell silk or other expensive fabrics. So of course they sold it. There are reams of court papers that deal with smuggling and selling prohibited goods; the peddlers had to pay steep fines when caught. After the reforms of 1846/64 the peddlers could sell anything.

The peddlers had some quite modern sales techniques - the most popular was of course credit. A female farmhand would catch sight of a gaily coloured scarf that she just had to have...unfortunately she wouldn't be paid until October and it was only June...so the peddler offered her credit - he'd be back to collect when the wages were paid out.

Ingela
PS. Yes, I've heard Pia several times - and read her books; she's after all a lecturer at my university.

2010-06-03, 22:07
Svar #6

Utloggad Cathe Schwartz

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Hi Ingela - thank you so much for the information - it's incredibly helpful to have some historical context!  

What I've heard from family legend it sounds like my great-great grandparents had a reasonably good life in Sweden; my great-great grandfather had a general merchandise shop in Visby and his wife was a candy maker and had an adjoining shop.  She was reluctant to come to America, but my great-great grandfather was tempted by the offers of free land in the Midwest. They ended up in South Dakota but after three months, decided life on the prairie was too difficult and moved to Chicago, IL.

Thanks again!
Cathe

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna