ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Origin of 'Hyllengren'  (läst 1411 gånger)

2008-07-08, 13:10
läst 1411 gånger

Utloggad Peter Kershaw

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 4
  • Senast inloggad: 2008-07-17, 12:14
    • Visa profil
I am intersted in the origin, history, and meaning of the Swedish surname: 'HYLLENGREN'.

If anyone can help me, would you be good enough to email me, or write to me,  I am English and unfortunately do not speak Swedish, therefore I find negotiating a Website that is in Swedish difficult.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Kind regards,

Peter Kershaw,
10 Omega House,
Omega Street,
Southsea,
Hampshire,
UNITED KINGDOM.
PO5 4LG

Email: petros5491@yahoo.co.uk

2008-07-08, 13:59
Svar #1

Utloggad Claes-Göran Magnusson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3788
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-08-04, 20:16
    • Visa profil
    • animskog.se
The latter part, gren, is common i swedish surnames and means branch. The first part I'm not sure about, but hyll (according to SAOB) can mean elderberry (Sambucus sp).
Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand. - Homer Simpson

2008-07-08, 16:52
Svar #2

Utloggad Gunilla Brolund

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 745
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-21, 13:13
    • Visa profil
Hi Peter!

The first part of the name can relate to a number of things. It can be a parish, a village or a farm that the person in question came from, or something like that. I checked Swedish names of places and found many staring with Hyll:
Hylla, Hylle, Hyllela, Hyllered, Hylleslöv, Hylletofta, Hyllinge, Hyllstorp and several more. Or it can be, as C-G above suggests, a noun which the person in question liked.

My own name, Sandström, was taken by my husband's great grandfather, from the village he came from, Sandhem, and then adding ström, which means current or fast running water.

It was very popular during the last decades in the 1800's to take a new name, and there were no laws (yet) stopping anyone from taking a new name of their liking.

Best regards,
Gunilla

2008-07-10, 18:25
Svar #3

Utloggad Peter Kershaw

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Regarding my query about the name 'Hyllengren', it appears that the etymology of the name is rather vague.  Never-the-less, I wish to thank the people that replied to my original message, and to say that I am still open to any help that anyone can give me.

In gratitude, Peter

2008-07-10, 23:02
Svar #4

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
Peter,  

Do you know the name and some dates of a specific Hyllengren? If we can locate him/her in the Swedish sources, we may find a place name that is a likely inspiration for the name.

FYI, in the 1890 census there are only fifteen Hyllengren, but they're spread over a large part of Sweden.

2008-07-11, 07:42
Svar #5

Kerstin Thölix

But there are 60 Hyllengren living in Sweden today.

Source www.ratsit.se

MVH Kerstin

2008-07-11, 12:48
Svar #6

Utloggad Peter Kershaw

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Dear Anna-Carin,
I am researching the name for a friend, as she doesn't know how to go about researching something in a foreign language & country. Also, she knows how I like to research things.
Her sister is to marry a 'Hyllengren' who comes from Stockholm (not much help I am afraid), and even HE doesn't know the origin of his name.
Thank you for you assistance.
Kind regards,
Peter

2008-07-11, 14:20
Svar #7

Utloggad Anna-Carin Betzén

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1112
  • Senast inloggad: 2019-10-28, 20:07
    • Visa profil
    • www.btz.se
Peter,  

There are databases that can help in locating a person's ancestors; e.g. a deaths database starting in 1946. Among other data, it contains the persons' birth date and birth location. So, if mr Hyllengren's knows of a deceased relative who was born Hyllengren (father, uncle, grandfather... the earlier the better, as long as the person died in 1946 or later), that person's birth could be found through the database. Looking up the birth record will give the parents' names, and if they were born in the 19th century, the census databases of 1890 and 1900 will give their birthplace, and so on. If all relevant information in the databases is correct, tracing the name back in time should be fairly quick and straightforward.  

These resources are available either on CD-ROM, or in subscription databases. For some geographical areas, there are also free databases with transcriptions of church records, up to the late 1800s or early 1900s, that may help once we've traced the ancestors back to that time.

If mr Hyllengren would like to contribute the kind of information detailed above, I'm sure forum members with access to the appropriate sources would try to help you in establishing the origins of his family. But without those clues, IMHO it's pointless to try - so many people have moved in and out of the Stockholm area over the past centuries, that there may be totally unrelated Hyllengrens living there today. Tracing just any Hyllengren from Stockholm could very well lead us to the wrong family altogether.

(Meddelandet ändrat av acb den 11 juli, 2008)

2008-07-12, 00:42
Svar #8

Utloggad Elsie Ekstrom Martin

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 76
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-03-28, 00:33
    • Visa profil
Hej!
There are Hyllengrens in Minnesota.  I believe a Pastor Hyllengren gave the sermon at Swede's Day (Svenskarnasdag) in Minneapolis a few years ago (look at Google).  Also, I understand that Gretchen Carlson from Anoka, Minnesota, Miss America in 1989, and currently employed by FOX News, is a relative of the Hyllengrens. She performed her talent playing classical violin.  
Summer Greetings from Minnesota.  By looking at their families perhaps you have more clues for the Hyllengrens.
Elsie Ekstrom Martin

2008-07-17, 12:14
Svar #9

Utloggad Peter Kershaw

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
THIS SUBJECT IS NOW CLOSED.

It appears that I have taken the inquiries into 'Hyllengren' as far as I can, and I am now closing this account; I shall now ONLY be able to be contacted at my EMAIL and HOME addresses.

I wish to offer my sincere gratitude to all who have been kind enough to assist me, especially in my own language (English), your kindness has been very much appreciated.

With my very kind regards to you all,
Peter

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna