ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Nobility in 1850  (läst 1040 gånger)

2011-06-21, 16:56
läst 1040 gånger

Utloggad Kimberly Maher

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 18
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-10-19, 13:17
    • Visa profil
Greetings - My GGGF (Bror Carl Springer) was born in Härnösand in 1850, to Maria Brita Wilhelmina Springer, illegitimate. That town was her parents home. However, until nearly the birth of her son she lived in Skön as a maid and is listed in the household examination for Tunaby. Here is the GID 2077.31.2300, Volume:   AI:5 Roll/Fiche Number:GH-2696 Page Number:27. She is at the very bottom of the page. I cannot find where Tunaby is, in Skön, if it still exists, and I cannot really read the name of the family. Family legend (from my grandmother, who heard it from Bror Carl and his wife) is that the Springers were from nobility. Well, since Bror was illegitimate, and Maria's dad was a shoemaker, I am pretty sure that it wasn't HER family, so maybe his unknown father was from the family she worked for in Tunaby. Is there any way of finding out if there was nobility in Tunaby, Skön, wherever that is, in 1850-ish? Is there any way of finding out if she paid a fine in Skön or Härnösand for having an illegitimate baby and if there was a man who paid a similar fine? I am going to paste this to another forum, too, just to cover my bases. Thanks so much in advance!
Kimberly Maher

2011-06-22, 12:20
Svar #1

Utloggad Lina Libell

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 351
  • Senast inloggad: 2018-05-30, 11:42
    • Visa profil
Hi Kimberly,

Maria Brita only attended one exmination in Tunaby, in 1850, and may have worked for the overseer [Inspektoren] Adolph Fredric Forsell or possibly for the mechanic [Mechanicus] Carl Anton Jenson who is the  only other person registered that year. Or she might have lived in Tunaby, but worked at the sawmill [ångsågen] just as the overseer and mechanic did. Today, Tunaby and all of Skön parish, is incorprated into Sundsvall town, http://http://www.hitta.se/LargeMap.aspx?var=tunaby+sk%f6n.  

In 1850, having children out of wedlock was no longer punished by the law, so the child´s father would not have paid any fine. He might turn up in the court documents if the mother sued him for child support, but not if they settled out of court or if she didn´t bother with it. Anyway, those court douments aren't online so you would have to visit the Archives in Härnösand to find out.  

You might have better luck trying to trace the witnesses of Bror Carls baptism. Apart from her parents and sister [Skom Springert och hustru /.../ och Sara Johanna Springert] there was a married farmer-couple from Korsta in Skön parish [Bonden A Sjöman o hustru från Sjöns sn o Korsta by] and a farmer's son from Lind... in Häggdånger parish [Bondesonen Jonas Lundqvist från Häggdånger och Linden]. They could be relatives of the father, and with a bit of luck there might be a note about it in the household examinations.  

I very much doubt you'll find any noble ancestry, even if you find the father. There were no noble families connected to Skön parish in the 1850s or otherwise. Historically here have never been more than a handful of noble families in the northern half of Sweden. The soil is simply too poor and the villages too far apart so be able to sustain any landed estate.

By the way, please make sure you only post the same question once here on Anbytarfoum, it gets very confusing and causes a lot of extra work otherwise. Double posts will be deleted.

Good luck
Lina

[edited spelling]

(Meddelandet ändrat av linlib 2011-06-22 12:23)

2011-06-22, 15:46
Svar #2

Utloggad Sven-Ove Brattström

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 3276
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-09, 14:25
  • Bilden är gammal, mera rynkor nu :)
    • Visa profil
Maria Brita Springer moved from Härnösand to Tunabäck, Skön (Y), in 1847. (Skön AI:5 page 43)
She moved to Tunaby 1849, most likely in october. Then back to Härnösand 1850, (Skön AI:5 page 27)
Brattis (före 2004 Linewizard) = Sven-Ove Brattström

2011-06-22, 21:30
Svar #3

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Engaging in extra-marital sex was punishable until 1864. Having a baby out of wedlock wasn't in itself a crime, just the ultimate proof that you had engaged in a prohibited activity.
However, by at least the second quarter of the 19th century the law was often ignored, as being unfair and obsolete.  

It's true that there were few, if any, great noble estates in the north but the vast majority of noblemen in Sweden didn't make their living from estates anyway, not from the 17th century onwards. They mostly made up an upper middle class earning a salary from being administrators: military officers, judges, clergymen etc. As such they weren't very noticeable, but e.g. a Koskull was County Governor (landshövding) for Norrbotten county 1816-21.

The reason there were no great noble estates in the north was because the north was a frontierland, land being colonized, with very, very few people living there. When the new county administration was introduced in 1634 Norrland county encompassed all of the provinces Hälsingland, Medelpad, Ångermanland and Västerbotten - which at the time included Norrbotten and Lappland (Härjedalen and Jämtland still belonged to Norway). Lappland wasn't colonized until well into the 19th century. So when the oldest noble families were founded, owning what later became estates, back in the 12th-13th centuries, the north quite simply didn't exist. When the north finally was colonized, the days of becoming a nobleman just because you owned a lot of land and could send armed men to war were gone.

So, yes there were noblemen in the north, but no, no great estates (they were owned by a minority of the nobility anyway). It's a mistake to equate the nobility with great estates.
But this also means that in the north you didn't encounter a nobleman in a remote country parish (except maybe a vicar or a rural dean); as professional men they were mostly to be found in the towns.

Ingela

2011-06-22, 22:49
Svar #4

Utloggad Kimberly Maher

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 18
  • Senast inloggad: 2012-10-19, 13:17
    • Visa profil
Thank you all and sorry for the double post, I was trying to cover the bases, but then realized I should have just put up one.

I have really appreciated this forum for answers to questions that my family has had for generations!

-Kimberly

2011-07-02, 22:37
Svar #5

Utloggad Jean-Marie Autran

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 3
  • Senast inloggad: 2011-07-02, 22:37
    • Visa profil
Hi guys
I have a similar question with my ancestor Nils Bergsten, a supposed illegitimate child according to family tradition. He was born in 1772?? in Lofsta from Nils Bergsten and Jeanne Elizabeth Norell.
I don't know if I understand but do you mean that by law before 1850 something will be recorded eventually showing the father's name?
Jean-Marie

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna