ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Multiple Children, Same First Name  (läst 701 gånger)

2003-08-23, 17:30
läst 701 gånger

Jon DeMars Victorsen

Can anyone explain if there is a cultural reason why parents would give a child the same name as an older child, who may have died?  

Many times in my research I have seen a daughter who has died in infancy or died as a young child, and the next daughter born to that family will be given the same name.  In a few cases, with high infant mortality, there have been three children with the same first name.

2003-08-23, 20:29
Svar #1

christina holmr-gunnerfältk

Somewhere on Rötter I have read that it was common to give the next newborn the same name if  a child had died.  I don't recone this today. This has no cultural reason today what I know of.

2003-08-23, 22:55
Svar #2

Utloggad Leif Olsen

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 71
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-06-12, 00:02
    • Visa profil
In Denmark you also see, that a child is given exactly the same name as an older child, who has died.

I think the reason is: It has been tradition to give the eldist son the same name as his fathers father and son No. 2 as his mothers father. Then if one of these sons die, the next born son will be named as his dead brother to honour his grandfather (in stead of the dead brother).

Maybe the same goes for daughters.

Best regards, Leif

2003-08-25, 10:45
Svar #3

Utloggad Mikael Persson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1357
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-01-17, 11:31
    • Visa profil
In the province Skåne -- formerly a Danish province -- they used to give the children the same names that their DEAD ancestors -- at the time of the birth (baptism?) of the child -- had had. They started looking for dead ancestors of the right sex as close as possible, starting on the fathers side.  
Sometimes this meant that two LIVING children had the same name! (There is even at least one example of THREE living children!) One of my ancestors got twins, and both were named Måns -- one after his paternal grandfather, and one after his maternal grandfather.
If a child died, many times they gave the child of the right sex the very same name, just as you mention. But I'm not certain if they 1) named the new child after the now dead child, or 2) if they named the new child after the same ancestor that the now dead cild had been named after, thus ascertaining to have a LIVING child named after that very ancestor. (I guess I'll never know!)

Many hold the view that this is a remnant of the heathen belief that the soul kept on living after the body had died (ignoring the fact that the soul IS the person), and hence they needed to give the name of the dead person to a new person.

Regards, Mikael!

2003-08-25, 10:46
Svar #4

Utloggad Mikael Persson

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1357
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-01-17, 11:31
    • Visa profil
... they gave the next child of the right sex ...

2003-11-10, 14:16
Svar #5

per bjurling

In my family they gave three boys in consecutive order the same name, Anders, wich happened to be the name of the unlucky mother?s father. The last in the row lived so they could begin with other names for the rest of their boys. This happened in the beginning of the 19teenth century.  
About 100 years later my grandparents gave two sons the same name. The second one who survived was my father.
I have no explanation. People do this.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna