ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Maria Pärsdotter  (läst 926 gånger)

2005-02-27, 01:55
läst 926 gånger

Maxine Morrison

I would like to know some information on Maria Pärsdotter who was the mother of Carl Adam Hellgren born in Lysnekullen, Frödinge, Kalmar län 24/10/1770 and his father was unknown.
Now , Carl's last name was Hellgren  and his mothers last name is Pärsdotter. His father must have been known to have the Hellgren last name.  
If the father was unknown then wouldn't the mother give the child her last name?
Is there a way to find out who Carl Adam Hellgren's father was?
I would also like to find out the names and births and deaths of Maria Pärsdotter's parents and siblings and when Maria was born and died.
Thanks,
Maxine

2005-02-27, 17:13
Svar #1

Utloggad Ingela Martenius

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 1489
  • Senast inloggad: 2013-10-25, 18:20
    • Visa profil
Maxine,

The Swedish way of naming people was not what you might expect.
Names like Persson, Andersson, Persdotter, Andersdotter etc are patronymics. Very common all over northern and eastern Europe. You take the fathers given name and add son or daughter (in Swedish, dotter): Persson = Per's son, Andersdotter = Anders' dotter etc. Which means that you must know who the father is - you can't take your own patronymic and give it to your children - your father is not the father of your children (hopefully!!). There are a few cases of people assuming metronymics - mother names - like Mariasson, but this would of course occasion remarks and raised eyebrows. A notoriety you did not need if you were illegitimate.

Until about 1860-1870 the patronymic system is how 90% of the Swedish population got their last names.
But if you really wanted a proper family name there was - until 1901 - nothing to stop you from assuming practically any name you fancied (the exception was noble names). You just told the vicar what name you wanted to use, he wrote it down in the church books and that was that. You could change the name any time you wanted, as often as you liked.

So, Carl Adam's using a proper family name rather supports the fact that he was illegitimate with a completely unknown father - he did not have a patronymic (since his father was unknown) which would cause comment and so he assumed a family name, which he had every right to do. Carl Adam could of course have selected his father's name (if the father had one) just to annoy him.

There is also the possibility that Carl Adam was (or had been) a soldier - was he?? Soldiers were assigned last names by the army/navy; these names were supposed to be returned to the army/navy at the end of service but they were generally used by the retired soldier. But only by the soldier - not by his wife nor by his children.

Now as to the paternity of Carl Adam: since he was born in 1770 his mother (and father) had committed a criminal offense. His mother would therefore have been prosecuted (in a normal court of law) and during the trial she would have been asked to name the father. There are two possibilities: she either refused (probably being payed to do so) or she told the court who the father was. If she told the court, the father would have had to appear before the court but he could swear himself free - which is to say that he placed two fingers on the Bible and in a very convincing manner told the court that the girl was lying, framing him, an oh so innocent man. Of course I know who I'd believe ... The books from the court-cases are still kept and most - if not all - are microfilmed.
You could also take a look at the book-keeping done by the parish - the mother would have had to pay a fine and if the vicar suspected he knew who the father was he would fine the man too (even though he denied paternity in court).

Good luck!
Ingela

2005-02-28, 19:31
Svar #2

Kay Engman

Maxine,

Before you start searching the microfilms for your family genealogy, it's a big help to read this guide for Swedish research written in English-  Cradled in Sweden by Carl-Erik Johansson.  It explains the old naming conventions, has lists of the most common first and last names and explains which first names are interchangable and which last names were soldier/sailor names.  It also has a list of all of the parishes in Sweden and when the records started in each, a Swedish/English glossary for genealogy terms (including many old occupations), an explanation regarding the various farmer names that were used, samples of the husförhörslangd pages with explanations of how to decipher them, and help with researching the military records and much more.  Please take the time to read it.  You won't be sorry!

Go here:
http://www.genealogi.se/roots/start.htm
and scroll down to Cradled in Sweden is back!

Kay

2005-03-02, 23:44
Svar #3

Maxine Morrison

Ingela,
Carl Adam was a corporal .

2005-03-03, 02:14
Svar #4

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
There you go then - Carl Adam was assigned his last name by the Army. Not a personal choice.

Ingela

2005-03-04, 14:02
Svar #5

Maxine Morrison

Another question about Carl Adam Hellgren . Since Hellgren was a military last name, then what was his last name before the military? Since his father was unknown, would he have had his mothers last name of maybe Parson?
Maxine

2005-03-04, 21:11
Svar #6

Utloggad Charles LaVine

• Anbytare ***
  • Antal inlägg: 216
  • Senast inloggad: 2017-11-16, 16:53
    • Visa profil
Maxine,

Do you have a place of residence for him while he was a soldier? If so you can then deterime what military unit he belonged to by having someone consult the Indelningsverk because military billets were specifically assigned to the Swedish parishes to support specific units soldiers and officers by rank.

You might then be able to follow him the Muster Rolls for his unit back to his entry into the service, giving you another time and place at which he entered service and with luck find him in a Husförhörslängd. Sometime, agin with luck, he may be listed in a mustering roll with his patronymic as well as his military name.

Charles LaVine

2005-03-05, 01:12
Svar #7

Maxine Morrison

Charles,
Corporal Carl Adam Hellgren became a soldier  in Ulfarp, Stenberga, Jönköpings län in 1788 when he was 18 years old.
Maxine

2005-03-05, 10:46
Svar #8

Utloggad Lars Skillius

• Anbytare ****
  • Antal inlägg: 777
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-03-10, 19:22
    • Visa profil
Maxine
The facts above makes it possible to see that 1788 Carl Adam Hellgren obviously belonged to company nr 4 Östra Härads kompani in Kalmar Regemente.  
Rote nr 100 Ulfarp (modern spelling: Ulvarp) in Stenberga parish was a part of that company and regiment.
/Lars

2005-03-05, 14:21
Svar #9

Maxine Morrison

Lars,
How and where can I find help in getting information about him_ Where do I go to ask for his muster roll information when he first entered the service so I can find out his partronymic and military name and other information about him?
Does the company or regiment have an email address and can they understand English?
Thank you,
Maxine

2005-03-05, 16:42
Svar #10

Utloggad Lars Skillius

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Maxime
The Kalmar regiment and its companies no longer exists. You could order copies or microcards of their muster rolls from the Research Center, SVAR, of the National Archives. Certainly they understand english.
But it is not likely you will find his patronymic in these rather early rolls. First you had better look in the parish records from the time before he was recruited.
/Lars

2005-03-05, 16:45
Svar #11

Utloggad Lars Skillius

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Maxine
Here is the english site of the National Archives: http://www.ra.se/indexengelska.html

2005-03-08, 22:11
Svar #12

Utloggad Charles LaVine

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Maxine,

The Muster Rolls are available through the Mormon Church and their local genealogical libraries.

Lars' advice is the best, searech in the Stenberga Parish clerical survey records (husförhörslängder) for the time frame that includes 1788, first looking at Ulfarp/Ulvarp for they were generally organized by the villages. These records are also available through the Mormons - as are all Swedish records.

The clerical surveys (husförhörslängder) are wonderful records and can, with luck, permit you to follow him back in time.

Ingela's reccomended book is almost a must. You can order it the the American-Swedish Institute, Minneapolis web site.

Charles

2005-03-09, 01:22
Svar #13

Maxine Morrison

How do I find the Stenberga Parish records Husförhörslängder ? Is it on this Swedish site or do I go to another?
Maxine

2005-03-09, 17:23
Svar #14

Utloggad Charles LaVine

• Anbytare ***
    • Visa profil
Maxine,

I have never used the web-based services. To the best of my knowlege, and I may be wrong, none have as yet scanned the various parish clerical surveys/husförhörslängder.

I have done my research thru the local Mormon family library, borrowing their microfilms of the various Swedish records. FYI: They filmed all of the Swedish records currently on film with the quid pro quo that it would be at tMormon cost and the Swedish government would received master copis of all records copied at no cost.

Also I could make photocopies of specific documents of interest and thereby document my genealogical findings.  

But different strokes for different folks.

A piece of advice - when looking at a clerical survey/husförhörslängder page, look at the whole page. It can often give more information and even surprises than on just the individual you are pursuing.

Charles

2005-03-09, 22:33
Svar #15

Utloggad Lars Skillius

• Anbytare ****
    • Visa profil
Maxine
The parish records, not only the clerical surveys/husförhörslängder but also the birth, marriage, death and moving books are scanned for most parishes in southern Sweden. See the english pages on this site: http://www.genline.com/.
It is expected that this scanning will cover all parishes in the country in a year or so.

Lars

2005-03-09, 22:37
Svar #16

• Anbytare *****
    • Visa profil
The Stenberga Husförhörslängder are available through the fee-based Genline site. The Genline records are scanned images of the microfilms; these scanned images are as good as - and often better than - the microcards.
www.genline.se

It is quite correct that the Mormons did that crucially important initial filming (and gave a mastercopy of the films to the Swedish government) but there are now also many many records filmed by the Swedish Archives themselves. E g records for the post 1895 period.
The Genline site is based mainly on the Mormon films.

Ingela

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna