ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning driven av Sveriges Släktforskarförbund
ssf logo blue Rötter - din källa för släktforskning

Choose language:
Anbytarforum

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Författare Ämne: Look up help-Finnish Roots?  (läst 1173 gånger)

2009-01-14, 02:43
läst 1173 gånger

Utloggad James Johnson

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 11
  • Senast inloggad: 2010-02-10, 18:50
    • Visa profil
My grandparents were born in Ostergotland in 1849 and Emmigrated in 1882.  I have tested my DNA and the majority of matches with whom I share a common ancestor (generations in the past) are Finnish.  If anyone can help with this-in whatever way is possible-I would very much appreciate it.  Here is what I have.

Johansson, Axel Ulrik
b.  8/15/1849 in Tjallmo, Ostergotland

Jakobsdotter, Emma Charlotta
b. 5/6/1849 Tjallmo, Ostergotland

Thanks you,

James Johnson

2009-01-14, 09:58
Svar #1

Utloggad Chris Bingefors

• Anbytare *****
  • Antal inlägg: 11832
  • Senast inloggad: 2024-02-28, 15:20
    • Visa profil
Step 1:
Emma was born to farmer Jacob Jaensson and wife Lotta Andersdotter in Markebo
Axel to hemmansbrukaren (farmer renting)Johan Peter Jonsson and Anna Brita Andersdotter in Perstorp.

Tjällmo is in the mining area of North Östergötland and the Finnish ancestry could very well be very far back with the import of Finnish workforce for the remote, forested areas of mid-Sweden stretching across towards the Norwegian border. This is where a large amount of charcoal was manufactured in the woods for use in the iron foundries. In the 1500-1600s Finns were imported by the factory owners in Finspång, near Tjällmo, to teach Swedes how to make good charcoal, they were assimilated more quickly than the Finns in Western and Northern Sweden, usually given Swedish names. But in a memoir by an 1800s member of parliament from Tjällmo, he describes his Finnish roots in Tjällmo and that these families were considered different as late as the early 1800s. There are still numerous place-names denoting Finnish habitation there. There were also many Finns who were enticed to immigrate to clear land in these forested areas by svedjebruk, ie burning areas of wood and then growing crops, moving the fields relatively often and making new land. This is a specialized form of agriculture that Finns were very proficient at. This immigration started earlier, ca 1300, but was most intensive after 1580. There were also Finns in cities in the county, but that was more uncommon. But your Finnish ancestry is no strange thing - both grandparents from the Finnish populated area of Östergötland!

As you know from previous answers, Finland was a part of Sweden for 700 years. Even we Swedes do not fully understand that it was not a colony or a dominion, but an integral part of the country.

(Reference in Swedish: History of the Finns in Östergötland: http://www.sydaby.eget.net/mig/finn.html)

(Meddelandet ändrat av izla den 14 januari, 2009)

2009-01-14, 15:42
Svar #2

Utloggad James Johnson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thank you Chris.  I am very grateful for your work on this, and for your comments.  I really do appreciate your answer, and I believe that you have explained it to me very well.

Best regards,
James

2009-01-14, 17:55
Svar #3

Utloggad James Johnson

• Anbytare *
    • Visa profil
Thank you Chris.  I am very grateful for your work and these comments.  I have come to the end of a long road with this information.

Best regards,

JAmes Johnson

2009-01-21, 15:15
Svar #4

Utloggad John Hage

• Anbytare **
  • Antal inlägg: 77
  • Senast inloggad: 2009-02-27, 06:03
    • Visa profil
Hello,
I am trying to follow a family trail for a cousin.  My problem is that his father's family emigrated from Finland in 1909.  Does anyone know if church records were kept in Finland like they were in Sweden?  If so, are they available through the internet?
Thank You.
John H.

2009-01-21, 19:31
Svar #5

Kerstin Thölix

Finland belonged to Sweden from the 1200-century and until 1809 so their church records were written in Swedish and kept the same way as they were in Sweden.
You can try to find relatives in HISKI http://hiski.genealogia.fi/hiski/80xnj8?se
www.genealogia.fi/index.php?lang=en
You can also turn to The Finlander Forum www.finlander.eget.net/index.php. It´s free but you have to be a member.

2009-01-22, 06:26
Svar #6

Utloggad John Hage

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Kerstin,
Thank you ever so much!  I will browse those sites and see what I come up with.  I am becoming familiar with the records on Genline so I should be able to find my way through the Finnish records.  Hopefully the Finlander Forum will accept my English questions.
John H.

2009-01-22, 07:58
Svar #7

Utloggad Pekka Tuuna

• Anbytare *
  • Antal inlägg: 4
  • Senast inloggad: 2022-06-14, 18:36
    • Visa profil
John,

I'd also recommend the Finngen list. It is totally in English and of course free like all the mailing lists of The Genealogical Society of Finland. You can see details and info of this list in http://www.genealogia.fi/postlist/plfinngene.htm

Pekka T.

2009-01-22, 20:41
Svar #8

Utloggad John Hage

• Anbytare **
    • Visa profil
Pekka,
Thank you very much!  I'll also check out the Finngen list.  I really appreciate all the helpful suggestions!
John H.

Innehållet i inläggen på Anbytarforum omfattas inte av utgivningsbeviset för rotter.se

Annonser

Marknaden

elgenstierna utan-bakgrund 270pxKöp och Sälj

Här kan du köpa eller sälja vidare böcker och andra produkter som är släktforskaren till hjälp.

Se de senast inlagda annonserna